Texas education board rejects proposal to call slavery ‘involuntary relocation’

onthedarkside

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

No, both are completely silly, and false IMHO.

How about we stick with science and math, something that doesn't divide & distract.  And hey, it's something you need & useful to you.

Knowing people were A-holes a few generations ago is irrelevant to anything in the future.  Can't go forward if you're always looking back.

If I had kids now, in USA, I wouldn't let them near a school.  Or let them watch the Disney channel ????

If you don't know and understand history you are bound to repeat it. Such as the mistake made in 1775. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 1:47 PM, KhunLA said:

And yet it is taught and repeated constantly ... go figure.

World wars even get numbered ... nobody expects there not to be a 3rd.

So what has been learned .... NOTHING

This really has Norwegian goblin quality ... ROFL

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Knowing people were A-holes a few generations ago is irrelevant to anything in the future.  Can't go forward if you're always looking back.

It's evident with the current Supreme Court that it and the Republican Party are controlled by reactionaries. While it would be a bridge too far to bring back slavery, there has been a concerted effort in the South since 1870 to take back social progress of the black people as far as possible. With the amalgamation of far right forces in the Republican Party starting with Nixon, now it's back scratching between conservative Catholics, Southern Baptists, white suprematists, states rights "originalists", etc, all of which contradict traditional Republican ideology of fiscal responsibility and liberal social attitudes. They work together to achieve their various retrograde aims. R.I.P. GOP, now comes POR (Party of Opportunists & Reactionaries).

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, placnx said:

It's evident with the current Supreme Court that it and the Republican Party are controlled by reactionaries. While it would be a bridge too far to bring back slavery, there has been a concerted effort in the South since 1870 to take back social progress of the black people as far as possible. With the amalgamation of far right forces in the Republican Party starting with Nixon, now it's back scratching between conservative Catholics, Southern Baptists, white suprematists, states rights "originalists", etc, all of which contradict traditional Republican ideology of fiscal responsibility and liberal social attitudes. They work together to achieve their various retrograde aims. R.I.P. GOP, now comes POR (Party of Opportunists & Reactionaries).

Dont worry, the Republicans will be gone soon, Biden will soon be POTUS

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

American children are being taught about slavery just by going to church or bible school, where they learn that Egypt had enslaved the Jewish nation in the time of Moses. This practice is portrayed as despicable and barbaric and needed to be expunged with extreme prejudice by God.

Now, if children in America are taught about slavery correctly in school and they discover that the same despicable and barbaric practice was promoted in America for over 2 centuries, and they correlate these two teachings leading to this conclusion:

In a country that portrays itself as god-fearing, how could this have happened when God told everybody how he hates slavery and how he dealt with it 3,500 years earlier?

The answer is: “involuntary relocation”

The irony is that the Republican Party was for abolition of slavery. Today they want to whitewash history. The so-called "God-fearing" Baptists used religion to justify slavery.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Now, how to teach about slavery in an age appropriate way....

First a general overview. Slavery existed in virtually every society, country, and on every continent on Earth at one time or another. 

Second, it was an ancient practice, generally used on captives in war but also commercially. 

Third, slavery in Africa began with Africans enslaving each other, then capturing each other to sell to either the Muslims in the Eastern slave trade or the Europeans in the Western slave trade.

Countries gradually eliminated slavery from the Enlightenment onward. It was not unique to the United States, nor practiced in every state.   But it was eliminated in 1865.

Good start?

Slavery was eliminated by 1865 by law, but near-slavery continued for many years. Many former slaves were still out there picking cotton. Perhaps their kids could migrate North, though, as they were not someone's property.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bluespunk said:
17 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I teach children younger than second grade. Not one has tried to eat glue 

Is Pecks Paste no longer used in schools.

Memory says there was always someone having a sly lick because it smelt so good?

On 7/2/2022 at 12:31 AM, onthedarkside said:

A group of educators in Texas proposed referring to slavery as “involuntary relocation” in second-grade classes — before being rebuffed by the State Board of Education

The first wave of SLAVES were relocated, however the generations that followed who were incarcerated from birth were not relocated but kept as SLAVES.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wombat said:

Is Pecks Paste no longer used in schools.

Memory says there was always someone having a sly lick because it smelt so good?

No idea, glue is glue. Don’t check on brands. 

Edited by Bluespunk

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

who were incarcerated from birth 

Ah, but were they 'all'.  Would think as a plantation owner, some realized, keeping the 'unpaid staff' well fed, healthy, instead of being tossed chitlins as a meal, would surely be better, cost effective & headache free wise vs chasing down or replacing.

Also many 'workers' would consider room & board more than enough compensation, and remain voluntarily, considering their options if venturing elsewhere.

Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suggest you try thinking a little harder.

May suggest the same to you ... as if I was a plantation owner, I know which way I would go.

Same way I went when I was remodeling my 1st house here.  100 a day was average salary then in the village, where I gave 150/200/500 - non/family/foreman, a day to the workers.  Happy and showed up, everyday, and put in a full days work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

May suggest the same to you ... as if I was a plantation owner, I know which way I would go.

Same way I went when I was remodeling my 1st house here.  100 a day was average salary then in the village, where I gave 150/200/500 - non/family/foreman, a day to the workers.  Happy and showed up, everyday, and put in a full days work.

So you didn’t get away with just offering ‘room and board’.

Also many 'workers' would consider room & board more than enough compensation, and remain voluntarily, considering their options if venturing elsewhere.”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So you didn’t get away with just offering ‘room and board’.

Also many 'workers' would consider room & board more than enough compensation, and remain voluntarily, considering their options if venturing elsewhere.”

Nah, they wouldn't go for it, and they couldn't work efficiently in the shackles.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, placnx said:

Slavery was eliminated by 1865 by law, but near-slavery continued for many years. Many former slaves were still out there picking cotton. Perhaps their kids could migrate North, though, as they were not someone's property.

Migration of enslaved Africans northward started long before 1865.

The Philadelphia Quaker Isaac T. Hopper in the very early 1800s began what was to become the Underground Railroad that fugitive slaves used to travel north to what they fondly believed was the Promised Land.

The reality proved to be quite different and they soon entered a new kind of servitude.

The post Civil War period saw them essentially no better off than they were before.

Southern chain gangs and Jim Crow are often rightly criticised but the north was in many ways worse for them and the weather was cold to boot.

New York draft riots during the Civil War targeted blacks and as late as 1906 there was a Congolese pygmy named Ota Benga confined in the Monkey House at the Bronx Zoo.

Let the south beat that if it can for sheer humiliation.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

Migration of enslaved Africans northward started long before 1865.

The Philadelphia Quaker Isaac T. Hopper in the very early 1800s began what was to become the Underground Railroad that fugitive slaves used to travel north to what they fondly believed was the Promised Land.

The reality proved to be quite different and they soon entered a new kind of servitude.

The post Civil War period saw them essentially no better off than they were before.

Southern chain gangs and Jim Crow are often rightly criticised but the north was in many ways worse for them and the weather was cold to boot.

New York draft riots during the Civil War targeted blacks and as late as 1906 there was a Congolese pygmy named Ota Benga confined in the Monkey House at the Bronx Zoo.

Let the south beat that if it can for sheer humiliation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That is a song about lynching, rather than slavery .

And I can confidently say generally, the huge majority of people find lynchings to be abhorrent and a shameful aspect of Americas past .

If there are any people that agree with them, they are in a very small minority

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is a song about lynching, rather than slavery .

And I can confidently say generally, the huge majority of people find lynchings to be abhorrent and a shameful aspect of Americas past .

If there are any people that agree with them, they are in a very small minority

You might want to look at the post I quoted. 

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You might want to look at the post I quoted. 

You just posted a song and you didn't give the reason why you posted that song and I replied to your post , which is just a video of a  song with no context or explanation as to why you choose that song

• Like 1

If Texas is one of the states to ban abortion, then it is no surprise to me to see a group of people there, trying to change slavery to something they think is less unsavory.

The United States of America is more divided, and fractured than before. Maybe the country needs a name change.

Remember that Texas was once a republic. They are still sore being that the state is much smaller than Alaska.  Everything is big in Texas, especially the egos of some people.

Just my opinion of course.  I have some former relatives who live in Texas.

• Like 2