Texas education board rejects proposal to call slavery ‘involuntary relocation’

onthedarkside

Screenshot_5.jpg.ab61492b0636642b8aa60ac60599649d.jpg

A group of educators in Texas proposed referring to slavery as “involuntary relocation” in second-grade classes — before being rebuffed by the State Board of Education.

The nine educators made up one of many groups tasked with advising the Texas board on changes to the social studies curriculum, which would affect the state’s almost 9,000 public schools.

Minutes of a June 15 meeting in Austin, which lasted over 13 hours, said committee members got an update on the social studies review before giving their feedback.

The State Board of Education mandates policies and standards for Texas public schools, setting curriculum rules, reviewing and adopting instructional materials and overseeing some funding. The board will have a final vote on the curriculum in November, according to the Tribune.

(more)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/01/texas-board-education-slavery-involuntary-relocation/

WAPO.jpg.105748c574f21edb7770180d51c80643.jpg

Also:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/30/texas-slavery-involuntary-relocation/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I teach children younger than second grade. Not one has tried to eat glue or chalk so I doubt older ones will. They are more than capable of discussing issues such as those CRT looks at.

This can be done in a manner by teachers whose job it is to ensure the content, language used and manner of learning is age appropriate. 

CRT is a college course is it not, or that's what most on here say.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No, both are completely silly, and false IMHO.

How about we stick with science and math, something that doesn't divide & distract.  And hey, it's something you need & useful to you.

Knowing people were A-holes a few generations ago is irrelevant to anything in the future.  Can't go forward if you're always looking back.

If I had kids now, in USA, I wouldn't let them near a school.  Or let them watch the Disney channel ????

Agree, I wouldn't let my kid near a public school today. I didn't do it 30+ years ago, today.....forget about it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:47 PM, KhunLA said:

And yet it is taught and repeated constantly ... go figure.

World wars even get numbered ... nobody expects there not to be a 3rd.

So what has been learned .... NOTHING

Not seen a repeat of Hitler, my daughter learnt about his atrocities in school.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Agree, I wouldn't let my kid near a public school today. I didn't do it 30+ years ago, today.....forget about it.

Happy with your daughter being a Walmart checkout girl for the rest of her life?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Credo said:

Involuntary relocation is not a proper term.  Many slaves were born and spent their entire life on the same plantation.  They were never relocated.  They were slaves, pure and simple.

When the right-wingers involved in this came up with their term, I'm guessing they were referring back to the original "involuntary relocation" of black slaves from Africa to what is now the U.S.   That certainly was a form of "involuntary relocation" from one continent to another...   But most of us just call it what it was..... slavery.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Been teaching 33 years now and not once have I encouraged racist or bigoted behaviours. 

Good for you.  It & I used to be only taught at home.  Now in the USA, they teach it in the classroom.  If I'm reading things right.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Happy with your daughter being a Walmart checkout girl for the rest of her life?

What are you getting on about? I sent my son to a Christian school 30+ yrs ago. My daughter is in a school in Thailand.

• Like 2