Texas education board rejects proposal to call slavery ‘involuntary relocation’

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What are you getting on about? I sent my son to a Christian school 30+ yrs ago. My daughter is in a school in Thailand.

It's hypothetical. You said that IF you had a child in the US you would not send them to school and my post explained what the result would be.

• Like 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

I'm terribly sorry. I meant to specify, a public school. You know my son didn't do as I said when younger and took a GED. Today he's making 150K USD/yr  go figure. A college degree isn't necessary.

Ok, that's different. If I could afford a private school for my kids I'd send them there as well as long as it wasn't a religious teaching school. I believe not many people wouldn't want the best education for their kids.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

CRT is not taught in school.

You have a very narrow view of what education is for, that curiously centers on avoiding stuff that disturbs your world view.

Actually listed a bunch of examples, earlier, but you'll noticed they got 'edited' out, and why I avoid, try to, avoid these conversation.  

Beside all being mature adults, supposedly worldly, but apparently don't see the same, so If we really do have to explain it, why bother, as you won't believe it anyway.  I found you can't change closed minds.

And I'm not one to argue, just for the sake of.

Edited by KhunLA

15 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

A group of educators in Texas proposed referring to slavery as “involuntary relocation” in second-grade classes — before being rebuffed by the State Board of Education.

Bit daft of the Texas educators to say this, but then again I dare say the State Education Board in the USA now say a woman can have a penis and a man can get pregnant so its just right sided extreme  nuttiness versus left sided extreme nuttiness in the US these days

Just now, RichardColeman said:

Bit daft of the Texas educators to say this, but then again I dare say the State Education Board in the USA now say a woman can have a penis and a man can get pregnant so its just right sided extreme  nuttiness versus left sided extreme nuttiness in the US these days

Wouldn't it be nice and easy if everyone's genes followed a normal and predictable pattern?

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually listed a bunch of examples, earlier, but you'll noticed they got 'edited' out, and why I avoid, try to, avoid these conversation.  

Beside all being mature adults, supposedly worldly, but apparently don't see the same, so If we really do have to explain it, why bother, as you won't believe it anyway.  I found you can't change closed minds.

And I'm not one to argue, just for the sake of.

Given your arguments in favor of education that closes minds to uncomfortable historical facts it…

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Wouldn't it be nice and easy if everyone's genes followed a normal and predictable pattern?

The do, 99% plus of the time.  Nothing wrong with teaching that.  It is about as controversial as saying that people have 5 toes on each foot. Some rare cases, people have more or fewer, but 5 is the standard for the vast majority.  No use obsessing over the outliers.

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

The do, 99% plus of the time.  Nothing wrong with teaching that.  It is about as controversial as saying that people have 5 toes on each foot. Some rare cases, people have more or fewer, but 5 is the standard for the vast majority.  No use obsessing over the outliers.

Or denying that the outliers face any issues which is what the person I responded to attempted to do.

Now, how to teach about slavery in an age appropriate way....

First a general overview. Slavery existed in virtually every society, country, and on every continent on Earth at one time or another. 

Second, it was an ancient practice, generally used on captives in war but also commercially. 

Third, slavery in Africa began with Africans enslaving each other, then capturing each other to sell to either the Muslims in the Eastern slave trade or the Europeans in the Western slave trade.

Countries gradually eliminated slavery from the Enlightenment onward. It was not unique to the United States, nor practiced in every state.   But it was eliminated in 1865.

Good start?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Stop trying to normalise slavery. What happened in ancient times has no relevance to what happened 200 years ago or less.

The slave industry was already in place just before Europeans got involved .

It was a business that Europeans joined in with .

Slavery was happening long before Europeans got involved and slavery continued after Europeans outlawed it .

Some White people want to take all the credit for slavery , claiming it was the invention of White people  

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Stop trying to normalise slavery. What happened in ancient times has no relevance to what happened 200 years ago or less.

Actually, it does. Context is important. And slavery WAS normal the world over. That doesn't mean that it wasn't abhorrent, but it was normal.  Far too many gullible people have been lulled into believing that slavery was a uniquely American problem and therefore should create abnormal feelings of guilt and shame. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually, it does. Context is important. And slavery WAS normal the world over. That doesn't mean that it wasn't abhorrent, but it was normal.  Far too many gullible people have been lulled into believing that slavery was a uniquely American problem and therefore should create abnormal feelings of guilt and shame. 

https://thinkafrica.net/african-nations-involved-in-the-slave-trade/

30 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Now, how to teach about slavery in an age appropriate way....

First a general overview. Slavery existed in virtually every society, country, and on every continent on Earth at one time or another. 

Second, it was an ancient practice, generally used on captives in war but also commercially. 

Third, slavery in Africa began with Africans enslaving each other, then capturing each other to sell to either the Muslims in the Eastern slave trade or the Europeans in the Western slave trade.

Countries gradually eliminated slavery from the Enlightenment onward. It was not unique to the United States, nor practiced in every state.   But it was eliminated in 1865.

Good start?

It’s a start.

Then move on to discussing the real history of slavery in the US.

8 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Nobody says slavery was a uniquely American problem.

Lots of people don’t like American children being taught the history of American slavery.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nobody says slavery was a uniquely American problem.

Lots of people don’t like American children being taught the history of American slavery.

Really? I have never met one. And believe me, I know a lot of people who are to the right of Attila the Hun politically.  

I think what does bother people is the obsession over race and victimization. 

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Really? I have never met one. And believe me, I know a lot of people who are to the right of Attila the Hun politically.  

I think what does bother people is the obsession over race and victimization. 

Well I’m grant you, it bothers right-wingers obsessed with race and victimization.

People too fragile to face the history of their own nation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Even that link is rather biased and downplays Africa's role in the slave trade .

It says  "Sadly, a few African nations took part in this Atlantic slave trade. Here are a few of them."

That suggests just a few African Countries took part in the slave trade , fact is that slavery was widespread in Africa and many African Countries participating 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Even that link is rather biased and downplays Africa's role in the slave trade .

It says  "Sadly, a few African nations took part in this Atlantic slave trade. Here are a few of them."

That suggests just a few African Countries took part in the slave trade , fact is that slavery was widespread in Africa and many African Countries participating 

What’s that got to do with right-wing fragility wrt the teaching of America’s history of slavery?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It's hypothetical. You said that IF you had a child in the US you would not send them to school and my post explained what the result would be.

He said PUBLIC School, which implies he sends his children to a private school please don't misquote it's a form of trolling  starting an argument about nothing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What’s that got to do with right-wing fragility wrt the teaching of America’s history of slavery?

Its important to get the facts correct , like stating it was the Africans themselves who captured each other and took them to the ports and sold them to the slave traders .

They are equally to blame as the who transported the slaves in ships 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its important to get the facts correct , like stating it was the Africans themselves who captured each other and took them to the ports and sold them to the slave traders .

They are equally to blame as the who transported the slaves in ships 

Market economics not your thing then.

• Like 1