The Woke

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Not after they make it public.  Once you publicly announce something, you cannot then expect that thing to be private.

Also that isn't the reason for the suspension.

Did he express empathy toward his target or was it a hit job?

54 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I make some observations on that video. 

He is in Portland which is a famously liberal city.

The video shows people who came to him and were affected by what he was doing.

In fact later one of them notes they are all social workers.

Not nearly a representative audience of students as a whole.

After initially some of them being rude on the roof, they were polite and the real issue they had was that he had a sign on campus saying 'There are only 2 genders'. 

Universities have always been inclusive places so having this presented as a statement of fact on campus can be seen as an issue for them. The point is it is on campus. Wouldn't have worried me and probably wouldn't worry students from other faculties such as  science, economics, and medicine. But if it did I can see where they are coming from as they are on campus.  After he explained that it was a thought experiment they seemed fine.

They didn't shut him down and heard him out. 

The girl saying that she was a different gender in a binary society, i.e. men and women, seemed polite and harmless. When she says there's societal things associated with being a man and a woman, and that we have to sometimes fit stereotypes, I think there's some truth. Especially in times gone by. I would disagree from my experience  that not fitting that that makes you a different gender but the concept of letting people be free to be what they want is not so bad. 

Having said that the language they use like  'triggering response',  'feeling safe', 'harmed', 'oppressed', and the woman saying they needed someone there to support a trans person if they feel triggered or hurt, was over the top a bit.

But I think it confirms what I said. They are in a University setting which has always been a bit like that, and being young and idealistic and worried about hurting people's feelings seems normal for that setting, especially among social studies students. They seemed to accept that others have a different opinion and seemed nice. 

If students are overthinking things and overdoing the niceness and caring and trying too hard, but otherwise going about their day, it's not so bad.

If I was a professor I think it wouldn't be hard to have a different say by saying I am basing my opinion on science that there are 2 genders, that science is never finalised and there could be a range of genders depending on how it is defined,  and then being respectful to those who have a different opinion.  

Good comment!

I agree they are not a representative audience of students as a whole. But they are a very loud group of people.

And it seems to me some of the students think twice that it is probably a good idea to talk. But others don't want to listen at all. They basically tell him: Listen what we tell you and do what we tell you...

I think it's good that he makes experiments like that, and he does this regularly. It makes at least some people think. Good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Jordan Peterson and Peter Boghossian are prominent examples. For whatever reason many of their videos come up on my YouTube home page. The algorism... 

As far as I see both of them just ask questions which the woke don't want to hear and certainly don't want to answer.

Both have lots of interesting videos out there. If I would be back at university I would love to have professors like them.

That is one of those videos which shows the situation:

Very interesting, both funny and disturbing at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now, at least in many universities in North America, that is not the case anymore. If anyone, including established professors, dare to mention that maybe the woke are not 100% right then they will be cancelled or fired.

Students going after the Prof is mostly confined to Humanities majors where it's all always been a little on the flighty side.

And at the extreme uselessness end of the humanities at that, you get a lot of woke in the Dance Department, less so in English Lit.

To claim that Humanities Departments of universities at large are running the world is Lyndon LaRouch-level crazy.

I was called woke -BY African-American people-  who were in fact on the dark side, but hardly deep-black like everyone here keeps insisting they are. You have to go to Haiti or Zambia to see a lot of that.

The first time was when I was chatting with a rasta at a Nyahbinghi drumming circle in Brooklyn about Franz Fanon. Certainly the very father of Woke. "Whoaaa, that is woke, Mon", he said.

For me, a great moment. For many people here, a nightmare.

I worked in a 50% AA government office and neither race really intermingled much. Like at an office party, both groups would slowly drift to opposite sides of the room. My boss had a picture of Martin Luther King in his office and AA people would mime gagging motions over it.

Anyway, I went to a computer fair with a co-worker, the first inter-racial socializing out of work ever, and we both bought similar power-strips, which was actually a sort of new invention at the time.

When my boss, A Clinton appointee, saw that we had the same power strip, she said "that is really woke".

Who else here has encountered the word woke live from a woke person?

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It there any political right leaning person out there who is also woke?

Yeah, those people would self identify as MAGA-Movement.

It has just as many things you can't say and  unsaid-rules as a lesbian marxist commune.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Very interesting, both funny and disturbing at the same time.

Contrarians of any note, that stand or rebel against the manufactured convention [regardless of their political/social identities/philosophies] have a history of being castigated or scorned by the greater percentage of dumbed down. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Well I just read though it all. And to be truthful, I could change the hats on each and every post. " I am mistreated, people won't let me be, or say what I want-- It isn't fair"

Read again! ???? 

15 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Contrarians of any note, that stand or rebel against the manufactured convention [regardless of their political/social identities/philosophies] have a history of being castigated or scorned by the greater percentage of dumbed down. 

Good job my student days are long gone and I am not woke, otherwise that could have offended me! ????LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1