The Woke

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

What part of woke is political and how?

It there any political right leaning person out there who is also woke?

I understand that in principle one could be independent from the other. But in real life that seems not to be the case.

• Like 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

It there any political right leaning person out there who is also woke?

I understand that in principle one could be independent from the other. But in real life that seems not to be the case.

a large number of them I imagine. I don't believe for an instant that all right leaning people are racists.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

?

Please tell me of your tales of being under the jackboot of feminism. Hopefully, hairy arm-pitted feminism.

If I'm on the left, and .0001% of the left thinks something nutty, what's it to me? 

Wonder if he/she/they tops her/his self with this kind of spotlight on him/her/them.

He was bubbling like a baby in interviews in the last year....on Russell Brand or something...now he's at the other side of the pendulum swing of emotions.

Held up as some kind of vanguard of old school-ness....just comes across as a bit of a tosser regarding putting spotlight at this time on the "former Ellen Page"....not that I'm a woke-ian/LGBT+ flag waver...he's a <deleted> is all.

Edited by freedomnow

17 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Whatever became of the warm and fuzzy exemplar that Elon was gonna change things for the better at Twatter.....??

Guess that went south, as well.

Most are so easy. 

Seems like there were many automatic bots on Twitter and Elon  didnt want to pay the agreed price because of them 

• Like 2

Can't believe people here are still in a snit about the usage of the term African Americans which dates to the early 90's. That means 30 unbelievable years ago.

And still mad at "rad-fems" -which was 50 years ago. I have shaken Gloria Steinem's hand.

All this cultural war white man grievance stuff from Republicans is a distraction for the gullible from the bare facts that they're taking away abortion, blowing the oil companies, and getting ready to cheat in the next election.

That affects me. Transexuals do not.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am obviously of a generation that does not understand any of this garbage. I have a headache now just trying to follow what the hell the fuss is about.

Join the club ????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, seedy said:

Best to just ignore them, and allow them to sow the seeds of their own destruction. Allow them to drive themselves crazy, which is the final result, if Ulcers don't get them first 555

Unfortunately ignoring them is not so easy anymore. They are taking over the universities.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Can't believe people here are still in a snit about the usage of the term African Americans which dates to the early 90's. That means 30 unbelievable years ago.

And still mad at "rad-fems" -which was 50 years ago. I have shaken Gloria Steinem's hand.

All this cultural war white man grievance stuff from Republicans is a distraction for the gullible from the bare facts that they're taking away abortion, blowing the oil companies, and getting ready to cheat in the next election.

That affects me. Transexuals do not.

I concur.

I have mentioned this before but I went to University in the 80's and there was plenty of feminists, environmentalists, those fighting for the rights of gays  and other 'ists' there back then as there are now. 

I can recall a lunch time comedy show in 1987 where a guy called George Smilovici did a comedy bit, he's 'I'm tuff' bit is on youtube and not particularly funny, and a group of feminists Cancelled him - started shouting 'Off Off Off' and he went off.

I can recall protests when say politicians or business people deemed inappropriate or to be from the right attempted to come to campus. Before no one noticed. Those students would get older and their outlook would change. 

Now thanks to social media the students get a chance to vent more widely and the media, particularly on the right, gets a chance to pick up on it and use these young idealistic types as a representation of all the ills of the left. Before they were left to vent amongst themselves unless their was a protest. 

Since the 60's at least universities have been a place for idealism and hope for change. Sometimes good things result. Sometimes they are totally self indulgent and it is over the top. They get things wrong, and all this safe space and some of the more extreme aspects of there being different genders can be silly or unfair, but it's a university and it's not clear why this is such a concern to so many older white guys. 

When was your life actually affected by this stuff. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

"Woke" is also closely linked to Whiner.

Not who is the biggest Whiner out there? Whose favorite written word is "UNFAIR", usually capitalized just like that?

Who answers EVERYTHING that offends his delicate, snowflake sensibilities with attacks that generally...1) give the person a disparaging nickname, 2) call the person a 'loser', 'phony', 'crazy', etc., and 3) often claims "I didn't know them at all...maybe they brought me coffee or something"

Who?

The answer, unlike in The Hitchhikers Guard to the Galaxy is not '42'

It's 45. The quintessential Whiner-in-Chief.  He makes the Woke Folks seem tolerant.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because now established professors get fired because they dare to question the radical left.

For a long time universities were the perfect place to discuss things from every angle. Obviously people didn't agree on everything, this is why they discussed things to learn more about other peoples' opinions. 

Now, at least in many universities in North America, that is not the case anymore. If anyone, including established professors, dare to mention that maybe the woke are not 100% right then they will be cancelled or fired. There is no open discussion anymore. That is a big problem, and not only for people in the universities.

To be clear: We don't talk about racist professors. We talk about professors who ask if maybe, just maybe, the work have gone too far.

Some missing commas and such made my last post a bit confusing. Good point though. 

I am not sure if it's as bad as you say but I agree with your points if it is correct. It may be that the professors created the environment that made students that way and it's coming back to bite them. 

Bill Maher from time to time has some good examples of such excess, and if it is costing people there careers then that's of course inappropriate, but students have always been a bit that way and to focus on youthful folly as a sign of a broader issue could be a bit harsh.   

Universities may or may not be a microcosm of society as a whole but I'm guessing most here don't have much to worry about when it comes to this issue. 

35 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Some missing commas and such made my last post a bit confusing. Good point though. 

I am not sure if it's as bad as you say but I agree with your points if it is correct. It may be that the professors created the environment that made students that way and it's coming back to bite them. 

Bill Maher from time to time has some good examples of such excess, and if it is costing people there careers then that's of course inappropriate, but students have always been a bit that way and to focus on youthful folly as a sign of a broader issue could be a bit harsh.   

Universities may or may not be a microcosm of society as a whole but I'm guessing most here don't have much to worry about when it comes to this issue. 

Jordan Peterson and Peter Boghossian are prominent examples. For whatever reason many of their videos come up on my YouTube home page. The algorism... 

As far as I see both of them just ask questions which the woke don't want to hear and certainly don't want to answer.

Both have lots of interesting videos out there. If I would be back at university I would love to have professors like them.

That is one of those videos which shows the situation:

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I think you're thinking if he was her doctor or something.  He didn't discuss anything that was not public knowledge.

How do you think he would know otherwise?

People have a right to have their personal medical history excluded from social media and Twitter agree, it's as simple as that.

• Sad 1

I make some observations on that video. 

He is in Portland which is a famously liberal city.

The video shows people who came to him and were affected by what he was doing.

In fact later one of them notes they are all social workers.

Not nearly a representative audience of students as a whole.

After initially some of them being rude on the roof, they were polite and the real issue they had was that he had a sign on campus saying 'There are only 2 genders'. 

Universities have always been inclusive places so having this presented as a statement of fact on campus can be seen as an issue for them. The point is it is on campus. Wouldn't have worried me and probably wouldn't worry students from other faculties such as  science, economics, and medicine. But if it did I can see where they are coming from as they are on campus.  After he explained that it was a thought experiment they seemed fine.

They didn't shut him down and heard him out. 

The girl saying that she was a different gender in a binary society, i.e. men and women, seemed polite and harmless. When she says there's societal things associated with being a man and a woman, and that we have to sometimes fit stereotypes, I think there's some truth. Especially in times gone by. I would disagree from my experience  that not fitting that that makes you a different gender but the concept of letting people be free to be what they want is not so bad. 

Having said that the language they use like  'triggering response',  'feeling safe', 'harmed', 'oppressed', and the woman saying they needed someone there to support a trans person if they feel triggered or hurt, was over the top a bit.

But I think it confirms what I said. They are in a University setting which has always been a bit like that, and being young and idealistic and worried about hurting people's feelings seems normal for that setting, especially among social studies students. They seemed to accept that others have a different opinion and seemed nice. 

If students are overthinking things and overdoing the niceness and caring and trying too hard, but otherwise going about their day, it's not so bad.

If I was a professor I think it wouldn't be hard to have a different say by saying I am basing my opinion on science that there are 2 genders, that science is never finalised and there could be a range of genders depending on how it is defined,  and then being respectful to those who have a different opinion.  

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2