Loy Kroh Road.

ImageDude

I had a rather unpleasant experience in a Loy Kroh Road bar last weekend. I had a friend visiting me from the UK. We decided to have a long weekend in the big city. On the first night we went into a bar which was situated near the Entertainment Centre but actually on Loy Kroh road. There were 3 ladies standing outside and 1 lady behind the bar. There were no customers inside the bar. Because it was quiet we went inside and ordered a beer, the 3 ladies from outside came in and asked for us to buy them a drink. We politely declined stating that we would not be staying long because we wanted to check out other newly opened bars, the ladies stayed with us having a general chit-chat. During this exchange the lady from behind the bar came to stand with the others. We didn’t notice that another person was now behind the bar but we soon did notice. It was a ladyboy who shouted at us, if you are not buying lady drinks then get out of my bar. Huh! At first we thought it was a joke, but no, the ladyboy was really angry and told us to settle the bill and get out and do it now, so we did! The only comfort we got that was during the whole weekend not surprisingly, we never saw another customer in that bar. I have been in Thailand for 20 years and never encountered that behaviour in any bar!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

The only comfort we got that was during the whole weekend not surprisingly, we never saw another customer in that bar.

Sad you were unable to find more comfort than that during the whole weekend.  Wouldn't your UK friend even hold your hand?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Probably upset the game has changed for good, that road isn't ever coming back to its 'former glory'. 

I think you are probably right. The atmosphere didn't appear to be the same as I remember it.

Edited by ImageDude
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ImageDude said:

It was a ladyboy who shouted at us, if you are not buying lady drinks then get out of my bar. Huh! At first we thought it was a joke, but no, the ladyboy was really angry and told us to settle the bill and get out and do it now, so we did! The only comfort we got that was during the whole weekend not surprisingly, we never saw another customer in that bar. I have been in Thailand for 20 years and never encountered that behaviour in any bar!

I used to live in that area between Loy Kroi and Thapae.

I never saw that sort of behavior.  With that attitude?
Settle your bill, leave.  Never go back.  Make others aware of the behavior so they can avoid it.

The destruction of the bar and pub industry wasn't caused by farang.  They should be happy that farang are showing up again.  Aggressiveness?  That ain't gonna cut it.  Aggressiveness toward farang should be rewarded with boycotts of their bars and pubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Always read these stories with wonder as the ladyboys in Thailand I have met have been some of the kindest, nicest intelligent people I have come across here.

Just like a Pitt Bull or Rottie. 
They wouldn't harm a hair on your head. 

Many won't.  Some will.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I bet it was The Curve bar. And sounds very typical for the owner person. The bar is fairly new worth this name/owner. 

I bike by it daily and u could be right..as i spotted and old "flame"  ladyboy Waan..she was saving up for the operations back in the days--i came back once and saw she had new boobs--and just last week biked down LK and Waan jumped out and flashed me with the skirt--now seeing the bottom is now "complete" as well..full "girl" but still the boy brain aka agressive

Saw her today yelling at some farang walking down the street---she was always money hungry

I was hanging with a tourist few months ago and he wanted to go into these LK bars--i tried to warn him--as we got 2 beers and as soon as we refused to buy lady drinks they got nasty..it was NOT Curve bar..it was up closer to the moat....an over priced 70 bt leo and attitude......blah

I just go to local spots where there are no bargirls then wander the city with my pal sangsom

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls

15 hours ago, ImageDude said:

Wow! So funny, did you always aspire to be a comedian or is it a recent trait? Either way I find you about as funny as Herpes!

i used your "signature quote the other day" as its one of my common sayings

also the avatar cracks me up..very thai!

Just now, arithai12 said:

btw, I have never visited a bar in that road and it would be the last of my ideas for a "long weekend in the big city", 

That's patently obvious!

Edited by ImageDude
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I have found bars generally have degenerated to that last 5-8 years, particularly in Bkk. used to be fun places. I have had the same experience as you in several bars where you were hit up almost immediately you walked up the steps before you even sat down and then abused or death stared.

I can't say, haven't been in a bar since Siem Reap the day before the borders closed (March 2020). All my pals died or left Thailand before then.

But prior to that I had some good nights out in LK, don't mind buying a lady drink for a woman under 35 years old and weighing under 50Kg.

Usually any problems (for me) in LK bars are caused by white male tourists, not hookers or LBs. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can't say, haven't been in a bar since Siem Reap the day before the borders closed (March 2020). All my pals died or left Thailand before then.

But prior to that I had some good nights out in LK, don't mind buying a lady drink for a woman under 35 years old and weighing under 50Kg.

Usually any problems (for me) in LK bars are caused by white male tourists, not hookers or LBs. 

Must say I agree with you re the patrons more badly behaved that the girls and in many ways you can see how they become the way they do. And I don't mind buying a lady a drink either particularly if I have welcomed her company but I don't think anyone likes buying drinks from someone who just demands them. Most of the time I would rather go in, order a beer and have a look around. If there is someone there who catches my eye or I would like to get to know I will let her know. They seem to do this well at the beer garden near nana Bangkok. You have to initiate contact. The place is always full. I don't expect the LB bar to last very long with an attitude like that.

• Like 2

Haven't been to a bar in Loy Kroh for 7 or 8 years. I'm wondering if there are fresh girls, or mothers who have become grandmothers.

Unfortunate for the OP and his friend. perhaps he can take comfort from knowing with that kind of pushy and aggressive attitude, the bar won't last long.

4 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Buying a drink for yourself basically gives you the right to sit in the bar.

Oh come on, that is just foolishness.  There are a lot of other behavioral norms that must be met to gain the right to sit in a bar.  Just buying a drink does not qualify.  

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Oh come on, that is just foolishness.  There are a lot of other behavioral norms that must be met to gain the right to sit in a bar.  Just buying a drink does not qualify.  

And may i asked, what are the Behavioral Norms, to gain the right to sit in a bar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I had some good nights out in LK, don't mind buying a lady drink for a woman under 35 years old and weighing under 50Kg.

I agree, unfortunately ladies of that spec are in short supply in Loy Kroh Road these days. More like "Grab a Granny!"

17 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I agree, unfortunately ladies of that spec are in short supply in Loy Kroh Road these days. More like "Grab a Granny!"

There's always a few to be found, and if you want to sit in a particular bar that has none in view, you ask the woman behind the bar nicely, and she'll order one in for you.