Sickening story of drugs and abuse: Thai monk beats nine year old novice to death with religious stick

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported on the latest serious crime committed by a monk. This one at a temple in Ratchaburi beggared belief. A monk who should have been caring for a nine year old novice instead beat him to death with a "talapat stick" after taking Ya Ba. 

The father of the child thought he could trust his "friend" the monk and knew nothing of his history selling crystal meth. 

ASEAN NOW cautions readers about the graphic nature of this story translated from the Thai media. 

At 5 am yesterday police captain Chukree Paduka of the Khao Din constabulary was called to the temple of Wat Khao Chong Pran in Taopoon sub-district. 

There the captain and medical teams found the pitiful sight of nine year old Phuphakan, a novice monk. He was dead.

He had horrendous wounds to his bottom, body, and head including two severe indentations to his forehead and right side of his head.

He was covered in bruises and had been dead for at least six hours. 

The man responsible was Attaphol, 30, who was supposed to be in charge of the care of the novices, a "phra phee liang". He was in tears and was taken away with the abbot to be defrocked ahead of his prosecution. 

He used a stick from a religious item called a "talapat". This is a kind of screen used by monks when chanting prayers to symbolically shield them from the laity. 

Attaphol told investigators that he had been in charge of the novices since April and admitted using the stick to hit them when they stepped out of line or were naughty or stubborn.

He admitted taking Ya Ba on Wednesday then on Thursday evening he was teaching the novice but he couldn't get the hang of the prayers. 

So he had the little boy grasp his chest and hit his bottom ten times then made him sit down on his by now bruised backside.

He then proceeded to hit his body and head with the stick and his bare hands a further ten times. The boy didn't fight back. 

He then took him for a shower and put him to bed before finding him dead in the monk's quarters where he also slept at 5 am. He told the deputy abbot immediately.

He never thought he would kill the boy - he was just teaching him, he claimed.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Police discovered that Attaphol had been jailed for selling 2 grams of crystal meth in Nakhon Pathom in 2011. On release he ordained into the monkhood and went to the temple. 

He had wounds to his right hand and left thumb consistent with using them as weapons to hit the child.

The father of the little boy said that he never thought such a thing would happen. His child had always wanted to become a novice and he knew Attaphol and considered him a friend and trusted him with his son.

This despite the fact that on a video call with his son he had seen wounds. This the boy explained as cuts from a cat and an accident with boiling water. 

The father said he had no idea about the monk's drug history. 

No charges were mentioned in the Siam Rath story. A monk would need to be formally defrocked first before they can be laid. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 13

6 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I'm 100% against any kind of religion, but I'll keep that to myself when not online.

Priests........all those rapes.     murdering kids.    happens everywhere.  and for hundreds of years.

no words.   there isn't a solution to this.  even if you killed everyone, the new batch of humans would do the same.  

probably the worst disease ever known

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Catoni said:

There is nothing in Theravada Buddhism that advocates such murderous brutal behaviour. Quite the contrary.  Do you not know the very first Precept?
   That monk was a monk by robes only. Not in his heart and mind. Do you think that religions kill, but not atheists ?  Do you think there are no murderers in the general public?   How about politics?  No murderers in Marxism?  
      There is no room for hatred of Theravada Buddhism here. 
   Where are the group moderators ?  Why do they allow posts of hate for Theravada Buddhism..Thailands official religion?  
   Is hatred of Religion now allowed in this group?  How about other forms of hate? 

Buddhism was and is not the problem, its the humans that populate its halls of worship that are, and always have been the problem.

• Like 2

There is still a death sentence penalty in the local law books and such a crime needs to be avoided by all means. Children, novice or not, need to be protected by such weirdos - once and for all. 
The "defrocked monk" changes his name and appears in the next temple as spotless as Virgin Mary. In what kind of world are we living, honestly? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I'm 100% against any kind of religion, but I'll keep that to myself when not online.

Priests........all those rapes.     murdering kids.    happens everywhere.  and for hundreds of years.

no words.   there isn't a solution to this.  even if you killed everyone, the new batch of humans would do the same.  

I thought Buddhism taught non violance?

20 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Your last line struck me strongly. I've lamented the negative regressive influence of religion on humans for a long time. I finally came to the same conclusion.

Humans are apparently subject to this particular kind of pernicious  mental illness. It's so common it's accepted as normal and is strangely infectious as well. It lies dormant in the human psyche and appears spontaneously and progresses rapidly when encouraged. Those afflicted are very seldom cured.

An open mind and the willingness to question accepted dogma is the only defense.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I agree that what is happening in temples and churches is sickening. But we mustn't confuse religion and clergy. My layman's observation is that clergy, whatever the religion, tends to attract, people who fail to meat the requirements of "normal" life.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Crackpot religions / Cults and it's followers, strike again.

R.I.P young man.

Buddhism isn't not a cult and this isn't a religious issue. It's yaba.

A friend of mine's stepdaughter, who was totally fried on ya ba, spent days chain-smoking and trying to set fire to the house. When she finally succeeded in getting a good, raging burn going, she lay down to snooze on a nearby sofa and shouted at her stepfather and others who were fighting the fire, saying they were too loud and keeping her awake. There's absolutely no link with reality when they are this f%^&*d up on the stuff, none whatsoever. That's why they suddenly go 'berserk' and attack or stab total strangers OR family members OR friends and then have no recollection of it.

19 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Kids are not safe in most countries...not just Thailand.  Sadly religious organisations are often cover for systemic child abuse...physical, mental and sexual.  Just look at the cover ups by Catholic church or the Christian foundation orphanages.  

Absolutely agree. Some really bad people hide behind the cloth everywhere, not just saffron ones.

6 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The "defrocked monk" changes his name and appears in the next temple as spotless as Virgin Mary. In what kind of world are we living, honestly? 

Good grief man. He's a regular druggie masquerading as a monk. He's not some scion of a revered, high society family with a wedge and connections.

Please get your Thai social strata in a order.

Sheesh...

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good grief man. He's a regular druggie masquerading as a monk. He's not some scion of a revered, high society family with a wedge and connections.

Please get your Thai social strata in a order.

Sheesh...

Put a sock in it.

Thai apologists, strike again.

Welcome to that special  list. :thumbsup:

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Buddhism isn't not a cult and this isn't a religious issue.

Yes it is a cult just like all religions, demanding how people should live there lives according to whatever doctrine is preached to them, controlling their thoughts and minds to obey 'them' and then to top it off, hold their hands out for money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1