U.S. approves $820 million military aid package for Ukraine; Russia says iron curtain is ‘already descending’

Rimmer

2 minutes ago, transam said:

You sound worried it may cost you money, in fact your posts revolve around money instead of what is right.

Disgraceful, Jack... 

What part of the "thousands of soldiers" did you not read?

And of course money is a part of it.  Giving a limitless budget to the MIC to buy weapons for a foreign war is foolhardy. Where will the money come from Transam? How much are YOU willing to give? At present it is around $400 per family in the US. Would $4000 be OK with you? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Platitude and fluff......lol

I just told you. your opinion means nothing to me but I'm sure Putin would be proud of you. That along with his hunger plan for the world

The end game is to stop Putin's seizure of Ukraine and other countries that are on his list, I'm not a military expert so I will leave that to those that are on how that is achieved. However I expect plenty more good will gestures coming from Putin in the future....lol

OK, good start. And to stop Putin, what are you willing to do? I think the whole farce in Ukraine has shown that Russian military power is not what everyone thought it was. Do you honestly think he will take a chance on attacking a NATO member state? 

• Like 1

Just now, Hanaguma said:

OK, good start. And to stop Putin, what are you willing to do? I think the whole farce in Ukraine has shown that Russian military power is not what everyone thought it was. Do you honestly think he will take a chance on attacking a NATO member state? 

???? you need to re read my post

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I had to laugh .... "a declaration of war"    so invading another country is not ?

so bombing a shopping mall with civilians inside is not ? 

so bombing an art school where innocent children and elderly were sheltering is not ?    so shooting and murdering people walking on the street is not ?

so bombing a city until it's destroyed completely is not  ?

I think your priorities are mixed up .... 

Of course invading is. So the war is Ukraine and Russia. But the US trying to kill Putin, or the Russians trying to kill Biden? A whole new ball game. You could expect an immediate and tragic escalation.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Well, perhaps you have a son or nephew or grandson you would be happy to throw into battle then.  I would certainly do my best to stop MY son from going. 

"Going on about your pocket money", hardly. Worrying about large scale economic matters, yes. 

Both my grandfathers (WW1)  and father (WW2) were called up, I was lucky, the UK wanted little to do with Vietnam.

Now you think again about all the Ukrainian young folk that are now in a box because of Heir Putin. These were all sons, yet you would rather save a few quid...

Should be ashamed of yourself...???? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Iraq and Afghanistan were both total disasters. Not the kind of example I would use to justify excess military spending. Both left their regions worse off than before. 

If other countries want to join NATO, good for them. And also up to them.  

If you want to stop innocent loss of life, get Ukraine and Russia to the bargaining table and get them to hammer out an agreement.  But keeping Ukraine propped up with weapons and gold will not encourage them to negotiate. 

Disasters or not, you were in a uniform being paid by the taxpayer and told where you were going to go to do your stuff. Yet now you are not in a uniform it's all wrong and costing you a few quid. Sounds hypocritical to me.

You want Ukraine to capitulate to save you a few quid, be honest....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wonderful. Big business for the American military companies. They will love it.

Not half as much as the Ukraine military who are putting it to devilish good use. Send some more please

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Ukraine isnt in NATO. 

You are right that Russia poses a threat to Europe. So let Europe solve the problem. Thing is, they got too addicted to Russian energy to actually have any political heft. Russia, as I have said before, has an economy on par with South Korea in terms of GDP.  They can hardly be more than an annoyance. 

But the rest of those countries include Finland which has remained non-aligned for almost 80 years. What changed?

As for letting Europe solve the problem. That was a bad idea back in the 1930's when world economies were much less interconnected than they are now.

Well by your standards, then North Korea is a nullity when it comes to a threat since it's economy is miniscule compared to South Korea's. It isn't just the size of the economy. It's how much of that economy is dedicated to war.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wonderful. Big business for the American military companies. They will love it.

That is what any business is for, supply and demand, regardless of the manufacturing brand's country, well, isn't it..?  ????

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

So she's a useful idiot (for Putin), got it.

Most of the western criticism of US aid for Ukraine comes from the isolationist right wing such as Trumpists. But a minority comes from the alt left such as that lady , Glen Greenwald, etc. But both flavors are irrationally Putin apologists or worse.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

This is exactly the mind(less)set that she describes in the article.

MARCH 11, 2022

A Closer Look at the Prose of Caitlin Johnstone

Caitlin Johnstone, who publishes frequently at the Russian state media outlet RT, as well as at Medium and substack. Manipulation and obfuscation are so egregious in certain texts, that they require close reading and even annotation in order to reveal their actual meaning.

Johnstone’s references is that they are often sourced directly from Russian state media. This is unsurprising, as she publishes regularly for the Russian state news site RT, at least sixteen op-eds in the last year.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/03/11/a-closer-look-at-the-prose-of-caitlin-johnstone/

• Like 2

ruskies are marching back to the stone age from which they wont recover for a 100 years ,particularly aviation which is prolly gone forever except their crude old planes ..tourism maybe gone for a long long time

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

We need to get Rambo, the Magnificent 7 , the A-team and Scooby-doo on the case , this ones a biggie 

I agree ....   if Maxwell Smart was still around he would be the one 

• Confused 1