Does Thai wife need to accompany me to immigration?

Wife is 9-months pregnant, doctor says could give birth any day in the next 3 weeks and after-birth wife may need 1-2 weeks for recovery.

During this 5-week window I need to switch my Smart Visa to an extension of 60-days by marriage. Can I do this by myself?

1 hour ago, Owiee said:

including photos of me and wife in every room of our house

One picture of you and wife standing outside the house with the house number visible. One picture of you and wife in the bedroom. One picture of you and wife dining, or at least drinking a coffee, together. 

Letter from bank confirming the 400,000 baht. 

Copy of bank book updated the day you apply.

Copies of marriage certificate

I think that covers it. Apart from the usual copies of all the pages of your passport.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks everyone! Very helpful indeed. I'll find a peaceful day with the wife to go. 

@VocalNeal
Thanks for that list. Just to double check, the marriage certificate is that document with flowery borders (see attached example) signed by the amphur @ wedding ceremony? Or is there a different one?

cheers

example-marriage-certificate.jpg

12 minutes ago, creative1000 said:

Thanks everyone! Very helpful indeed. I'll find a peaceful day with the wife to go. 

@VocalNeal
Thanks for that list. Just to double check, the marriage certificate is that document with flowery borders (see attached example) signed by the amphur @ wedding ceremony? Or is there a different one?

cheers

Don't forget the updated kor tor 2 .no later than seven days before application 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeffersLos said:

I was shouted at 'Where is your wife?!'

Excuse me.

Where is your wife?!!

It's 11am on a Tuesday, she's at work, where else is she going to be?

She wasn't happy. 

I had that too (this is just the 60 day extension, not the full year)  - my wife was a nursery nurse, I gave her a bit of notice and we synchronized the time that the papers were submitted at the immigration office. After everything was complete, they even took a photo of us together, my wife asked the IO, “any chance I can go back to work?” Yup, no problem. 

No problem, until, another IO came back to return my passport, “where is your wife? Where’s your wife? Oh my, where is she?” And he was holding my passport at arms length behind him. “Where do you think she is? At work” - Bunch of c nuts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, creative1000 said:

Is this required every single year? Or just the first time?

You need to bring your wife and the whole package of documents every year.

At some immigrations you only need to bring a witness the first time, but almost all the other requirements stay the same.

Edit: other immigrations never ask for a witness, in Phuket they required one for the first time only

Edited by Bob12345
  • Like 1

The map of where you live must be hand drawn. I always print the Google map on the top half of the paper, Then draw my map under it. I also write my full address and phone number.

They seem quite happy with this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, creative1000 said:

@VocalNeal

cheers

You original marriage certificate should have a code number printed on the back. From my experience, Immigration need this so you will need to do a double sided copy of your certificate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

The OP is seeking a 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting his Thai wife, not an annual extension for marriage!

By way of amplification of my previous post which I can no longer edit, the OP's main concerns should not at this stage, I feel, be with detailed requirements for photos, updated Khor Ror certificates, house visits, hand-drawn maps, witnesses, etc in connection with annual marriage (or other family-related) extensions. IMHO the most pressing issue in his case relates to the financial requirements for such extensions. If relying on 400k in the bank he needs to get this amount deposited into a Thai account ASAP in view of the 2-month seasoning requirement. However, if relying on 40k monthly income and his embassy no longer provides an income confirmation service (i.e. he is American, Australian or British), he needs to establish how his immigration office would view issuing him with an annual family-related extension on the basis of only a couple of 40k monthly transfers max to date - maybe as part of any trip there with his wife this week, as advised by @NanLaew.

He also needs to be aware that the "combi" method involving a mix of bank balance plus monthly income/transfers to prove finances up to a predetermined total is not available for annual family-related extensions in the way that it is for retirement extensions.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OJAS said:

The OP is seeking a 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting his Thai wife, not an annual extension for marriage!

It's easier to get the 60-day extension based on being the father of a child. No wife or child needs to attend immigration. He can then revert to a marriage extension or a retirement extension if/when.

This was my experience in 2020 year at Udon Thani immigration.

The OP should investigate this option with whatever immigration office he is using as they will have specific needs regards birth certs and the like.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, creative1000 said:

When you do go, be sure to walk straight to the front of the queue/speak to staff
they should get you processed quickly

• Like 1