Uvalde police had the gunman in their sights before he entered the school — but didn’t pull the trigger

Scott

Uvalde police had the gunman in their sights before he entered the school — but didn’t pull the trigger, new report reveals

A Texas police officer had the Uvalde gunman in his sights but never fired a shot, believing — perhaps incorrectly — that he needed permission to fire, a new study of the mass killing revealed Wednesday.

The report from Texas State University, reviewing the law enforcement response to the deadly attack at Robb Elementary School, raised the troubling question of whether Salvador Rolando Ramos could have been stopped before he even entered the campus where he would kill 19 children and two teachers on May 24.

Texas State University’s Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training, which regularly evaluates active shooter responses, pointed to several significant errors that were made before Ramos walked through an open school door.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/report-says-uvalde-police-gunman-sights-entered-school-not-pull-trigge-rcna36975

NBC's Memorable Peacock Design Is Instantly Recognizable With Its Bright  Colors & Iconic Shape | DesignRush

15 minutes ago, Scott said:

Texas State University’s Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training, which regularly evaluates active shooter responses, pointed to several significant errors that were made before Ramos walked through an open school door.

The biggest  error still being IMO that:

"The gunman in the deadliest school shooting in Texas history bought two AR-style rifles legally just after his 18th birthday — days before his assault on Robb Elementary School in Uvalde."

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/25/uvalde-shooter-bought-gun-legally/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The biggest  error still being IMO that:

"The gunman in the deadliest school shooting in Texas history bought two AR-style rifles legally just after his 18th birthday — days before his assault on Robb Elementary School in Uvalde."

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/25/uvalde-shooter-bought-gun-legally/

I can't argue with that but sadly it was followed by mistake after mistake after mistake.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

New video footage from inside the school just released shows exactly what happened with footage of the gunman and the police inaction, very disturbing.

Forking sick looking at these law enforcement. Shameful.

• Like 1

I am far from being anti-gun and I have owed guns.  I didn't want them in the house when my kids were young.  I received a non-life-threatening gunshot wound during a scuffle with a friend who was threatening to kill his sister's boy friend.  It was not serious, but it had an impact.

I simply cannot understand why these high capacity assault style weapons are allowed.  They have no practical purpose for the vast majority of people.  It's certainly not very sportsmanship-like to use them for hunting.  There only use is hunt and kill people in large numbers. They should be outlawed and only allowed on a very limited basis.  

I think part of the problem that the Uvalde police faced was that they were facing this type of weapon.  Their actions were cowardly, but no one in a civilian situation should ever have to face a weapon like that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1