Bristol: 'Extraordinary' Thailand cave rescue divers receive honorary degrees

webfact

8 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Actually I think that the Easiest way of getting them out, would have been to drill a hole in from the surface above ! ... And then use an escape capsule on a wire lift, like they did to rescue all those Gold miners from 1 km under ground in Chillie ? Wasn't it ??? ... (Like as an ex caver my self ! )... I think findong them was the easy part ? ...Getting them out was the hard part ??? ... 

But the logistics, geography ? and rock structure ??? Possibly ? ... as well as not having a suitable large reverse auger drilling rig available at short notice ??? ... Probably made this rescue drill hole not possible !!!  .

So they had to do it the hard way !!! ...Under water and a very long and very Wild flooded stream passage cave system. ... Like they had to lift them up a section on a flying Fox didn't they !!! 

So Bravo ! And good on them ALL ...and a true Tribute to what Humanity Can Do !!! (When they want to ...and no often old and entrenched Vested Interests, stand in their way) ...

... Like talking about Hero's working under pressure !!! ... And making the Right ! Decision, to rescue people and save their lives !!!  ...

How about those men working 12hr shifts on that huge reverce Auger (?) Drill in Chillie, ... slowly geting the huge and almost certainly hard to control ??? bit ... slowly down to 1000 meters below the sutface, ...  To make the hole that saved those men's lives !!! ...

Like forget to oil the spindle ? ...  Or change the oil in the head ? ... or hyaulucs pumps, or motors, run them too hard and cease them ??? ...or the huge compressors !!!! ... ... ... And the rotatipn stopped ... or the cuttongs were not getting blown out ? ... and it got jamed at 700m ,! ... ... Days into the opperation ...

Hence requiring a new bit ! Very expensive and probably hard to get ! Drill  ... And re starting the hole ! ... or wedging off much higher up !!! ... ... While the men down below slowly died ,...

Like quite a bit of stress being the Driller on that job I think !!!

... Like there are Real Hearos in all walks of life. . 

( ... Though well just being a technical button pusher my self ... I always have apreaceated the Real Men, ...  Boots on tbe ground Drillers !!! Truck drivers ! ... And Miners etc ... also Right. !!! ... And just the Struggles also, like my self.)

Edited by Mark mark
Spelling on touch screen typing.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, sambum said:

"Pedo guy"?

Elon Musk called one of the British rescuers a "pedo guy" because he said his minisub wouldn't be suitable for the job.  I believe the case for slander got settled out of court!

4 hours ago, Mark mark said:

... Like talking about Hero's working under pressure !!! ... And making the Right ! Decision, to rescue people and save their lives !!!  ...

How about those men working 12hr shifts on that huge reverce Auger (?) Drill in Chillie, ... slowly geting the huge and almost certainly hard to control ??? bit ... slowly down to 1000 meters below the sutface, ...  To make the hole that saved those men's lives !!! ...

Like forget to oil the spindle ? ...  Or change the oil in the head ? ... or hyaulucs pumps, or motors, run them too hard and cease them ??? ...or the huge compressors !!!! ... ... ... And the rotatipn stopped ... or the cuttongs were not getting blown out ? ... and it got jamed at 700m ,! ... ... Days into the opperation ...

Hence requiring a new bit ! Very expensive and probably hard to get ! Drill  ... And re starting the hole ! ... or wedging off much higher up !!! ... ... While the men down below slowly died ,...

Like quite a bit of stress being the Driller on that job I think !!!

... Like there are Real Hearos in all walks of life. . 

( ... Though well just being a technical button pusher my self ... I always have apreaceated the Real Men, ...  Boots on tbe ground Drillers !!! Truck drivers ! ... And Miners etc ... also Right. !!! ... And just the Struggles also, like my self.)

The editing didn't work too well!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sambum said:

The editing didn't work too well!

Thanks Sambum ... Yes, but I think that it did suite the article. .... Like a Salute to the Practical Man !!! Not the Academic !!! .... And yes I also realized how much Danger I was in, of getting Pulled, when I followed the pretty well off topic posts, about Musk Rats comments !!!  ... … But well as the Moderators have told ? ... well Implied to me .... as long as it is not abusive, or Malicious, ... or Repetitive .... or too long I guess, and off topic ...  We all know also, that It really depends on how many people Read it !!! .... and in some cases how many Likes you get !!! ??? Right ? I guess ??? ... .... ... Of which I did not get to many on the Musk Rat stuff, ... ...

… But well lifting up ? .... and putting the two Cave Diving Anesthetists, names in there !!! The ones who actually were the ones that administered the strong Drugs to the Boys, and swam out of the cave with them, for some hours, ... under water, monitoring their bodies functioning the air pockets along the way, and re-applying the Anesthetic when necessary !!! ..... .... Putting their Names in also, …  Richard Harris and Craig Challen, DID actually go very well though.

.. Like ... 6 likes on the original post, and several more of them and comments on your, and other peoples comments on it !!! .... (So well, Job Done in this one Really I think, as you say !) ....

... And have a good day Sambum, ... And All. ...

.... Time to look at Roosters weekly Post. ... 

Wrapping up here .... Probably a better, and also Briefer Link to Craig and Richard Haris's book ... which IS a very good Read I think, ... like as THEY are the men !!! that Actually DID it. ... and they are, just Humble Cave divers, and Anesthetists. ... So were not at all ready for ANY fame at all really. !!! ... And they were not Journalists either !!! .... So interesting to see how that wrote it ... And well it was the 100% Truth also I would say. ...

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/against-all-odds-9781760899455

... Like the Brief Sound Bites from them are very VERY short, and Good I think ! ? ...

Craig Challen, On Risk, one of the Two Cave Diving, Anesthetists, who were crucial, in the last and probably most Dangerous part of the rescue of the 12 boys, and one assistant Coach of the Wilde Boar Soccer Team in the Tham Luang cave in Chang Rai Northern Thailand.) ...

…. His talk on "Risk" … Management of it ? … And it's beneficial side, for all Humanity. 

On 7/8/2022 at 12:49 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

This is not an article written to describe the details of the cave rescue as such, though. It's an article about how two of the British divers involved, have received honorary degrees from a UK university.

Many other people, of multiple nationalities, were involved in the rescue and of course they all deserve credit but once again, that's not the main point of this story - it's about the fact these two specific people were given honorary degrees.

Exactly.........................

• Thanks 1