New Win11 PC, LAN stops connecting on wake-up.

JeffersLos

A new Windows 11 PC, when left idle or put to sleep/on standby for around an hour, on wake up the ethernet connection keeps on cutting on and off every 5 seconds and does stop. I can connect through the Wifi, but that's not as good.

Why does it do this and how can I stop it from happening?

TIA.

I had a similar problem on a notebook some time ago.

A new device driver fixed the problem.

I suggest check windows updates (maybe some advanced options)  and check for driver updates from the manufacturer.

If you don't see any updates now then try later again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I suggest check windows updates (maybe some advanced options)  and check for driver updates from the manufacturer.

If you don't see any updates now then try later again.

Those didn't work.

Hopefully this will:

How do I stop my Ethernet from turning off?

Please try these steps:
  1. Open Device Manager.
  2. Locate your network adapter, right click and select Properties.
  3. In the property sheet, switch to Power Management tab.
  4. Uncheck Allow computer to turn off this device to save power option.
  5. Click OK, close Device Manager.
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Please try these steps:
  1. Open Device Manager.

This didn't work.

After restarting the computer the ethernet connections continues to flash on and off at around 5 second intervals. 

Another PC is connected to the same router without any issue. I have swapped ports and still it is the same.

What causes a Win 11 PC to flash on and off the ethernet connection?

TIA. 

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Those didn't work.

Hopefully this will:

Please try these steps:
  1. Open Device Manager.

I am not sure, but I don't think the change of the properties will work. Because I think the power saving option is only used if the computer is on and i.e. the cable is disconnected. Then the port would go to sleep - because it is not used.

If the whole computer is sleeping then I guess there will be also power saving on that port.

But I might be wrong. You can easily test it and I don't see a downside of testing it.

Just make sure you keep a log of any setting which you change so that you can easily undo it if you want to do that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not sure, but I don't think the change of the properties will work. Because I think the power saving option is only used if the computer is on and i.e. the cable is disconnected. Then the port would go to sleep - because it is not used.

If the whole computer is sleeping then I guess there will be also power saving on that port.

But I might be wrong. You can easily test it and I don't see a downside of testing it.

Just make sure you keep a log of any setting which you change so that you can easily undo it if you want to do that.

Unfortunately that didn't work.

I did this and it seems to have fixed it.

spacer.png

It resets the network, then reboots the PC over around 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everything was good, but I had an extra 8Gb RAM installed, taking it up to 16Gb (8Gb x 2)

As soon I turned it on, the issue was back.

Update driver. Already has the newest driver. 

Network Reset, as above.

In Device manager, go to Ethernet properties and unclick 'Allow computer to turn off'.

And it's still the exact same.

Every minute the connection turns off for 10 seconds or so, then connects again. Another PC connected to the same router has no such issue (both cable connections have been swapped)

One difference shown is the ethernet resource settings, the 2nd RAM stick shows as this.

spacer.png

Right or left mouse buttons doesn't do anything to it.

Any ideas?

On 7/9/2022 at 6:14 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Does Windows still offer the 'roll back' option?

22 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Everything was good, but I had an extra 8Gb RAM installed, taking it up to 16Gb (8Gb x 2)

As soon I turned it on, the issue was back.

Update driver. Already has the newest driver. 

Network Reset, as above.

In Device manager, go to Ethernet properties and unclick 'Allow computer to turn off'.

And it's still the exact same.

Every minute the connection turns off for 10 seconds or so, then connects again. Another PC connected to the same router has no such issue (both cable connections have been swapped)

One difference shown is the ethernet resource settings, the 2nd RAM stick shows as this.

spacer.png

Right or left mouse buttons doesn't do anything to it.

Any ideas?

Can you look at event viewer and see of the error messages shed any light? I'd guess it's a driver issue. Roll back and if that doesn't help make sure to try a few different versions both from Intel and your manufacturer if they offer it.

• Like 1

Just to update.

It's fine again. ???? The Network Reset changed the option in Device manager, for the Ethernet properties to 'Allow computer to turn off'.

Doing a Network Reset, then going into the Device Manager and adjusting the ethernet properties solved it.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:01 PM, JeffersLos said:

Just to update.

It's fine again. ???? The Network Reset changed the option in Device manager, for the Ethernet properties to 'Allow computer to turn off'.

Doing a Network Reset, then going into the Device Manager and adjusting the ethernet properties solved it.

I have a similar problem with my office computer. Sometimes i have to do several network resets and restarts before it connects. I have also tried the things you listed above with no lasting results.