Uni student killed as he and friend hit by 22 wheel truck in NE - police suspect "lap nai" or microsleep

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that police and rescue services in Muang district of Nakhon Phanom in Thailand's north eastern region were called after a 22 wheel truck went into the back of two university students on a motorcycle. 

It happened on Route 212 in Tha Khor sub-district.

They found a motorcycle under the back wheel of the truck (that had Evergreen on the side).

Thanawut, 20, the driver of the motorcycle was dead at the scene.

His friend Yossaphon had two broken legs and was in a grievous condition.

The driver of the truck that had veered to the side of the road dragging the students into a high voltage pole was also injured. He was named as 33 year old Kittisak. He suffered chest and hip injuries.

Both the injured were ferried to Nakhon Phanom hospital.

Sommai said she had looked after the diseased since he was a one year old. His mother had died and he had a foreign father. 

She was overcome with grief and unable to deal with the owners of the truck as yet. They had offered compensation and help. 

She said Thanawut was like her own son and he usually lived in halls coming home at weekends and holidays. 

image.jpeg

file photo

Police said that the trucker had driven from the north of Thailand and they believe he was overtired and suffered a microsleep known as lap nai in Thai.

Signs are up all over the kingdom warning of the condition. 

They plan to talk to the driver again after he has recovered from his injuries. He will likely be prosecuted. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

He will likely be prosecuted. 

This is tragic.

On Sunday took the family out for lunch and as we were heading down the freeway sitting on 90 (works in progress ahead), truck to my left in the side street, not 100 metres ahead of me, just pulls straight out taking both lanes, (double boggy), my wife yelled, by then I was going through the gears like a race driver and foot on the brakes, two young ones in the back and I almost kissed his rear as I had nowhere to go, I would think others would have kissed his rear, that or gone off the road.

Did I loose it, did I get angry, let's just say if I had a hand gun I would have unloaded it's contents at his side of the cabin as I drove past, hoping to have hit him at least 6 times.

The above said, he isn't the 1st and won't be the last, got to have your eyes everywhere, expecting the unexpected at any moment here in Thailand, because most of these truck and bus drivers, let alone minivan, motor vehicle drivers and bike riders shouldn't be on the fricken roads.

Until the motor registry and cop force get it's sheet together, we can all expect a lot more stories like this, hoping not to become a statistic.

Son (18) is now buying a bike after getting his motor riders licence, I have sent him countless bike and car accidents from here in Thailand, including ones of the Doctor (Valentino Rossi) on the race circuit, plus the accidents that followed, telling him it was safer on the track if he had any testosterone that he wanted to get rid of, because it's not him that he has to worry about out there, it's the others.

Hopefully he gets it.

Ride on the smallest bike in the world – Best of animated gifs

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Heartbreaking, these young fellas...
One dead, another one possibly mutilated for life...
Only God (and the driver) know what really happened there.
Lap Nai or not: This is tragedy.

no it is BAD DRIVING again.......end of story

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

She was overcome with grief and unable to deal with the owners of the truck as yet. They had offered compensation and help. 

Be interesting to see how long the grief lasts as the offers go up.

Hopefully she will ask for 20 million or something. Trucker hopefully next 30 years in prison. Falling asleep is not defence, same as manslaughter in my book and 20-30.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

They plan to talk to the driver again after he has recovered from his injuries. He will likely be prosecuted. 

Manslaughter and attempted manslaughter I hope

time to get these people off the road.

Come on Thailand get your act together over drivers hours !! It is way way past time to fit Tachographs to commercial vehicles and buses, the new digital ones can't even be tampered with. The transport ministry should hang their collected heads in shame.