Will cannabis legalization without regulation come back to burn Thailand?

webfact

6 hours ago, clokwise said:

Regardless of these sensational stories in the media about the dangers of cannabis, I do believe the Thai govt missed a terrific opportunity to regulate and tax the growers and vendors. Look at how it works in the USA, where you can only purchase weed legally from a registered marijuana vendor, and can only purchase products grown under license. Often the products come with a QR code link to an independent assay of that particular batch. This provides greater assurance of the quality of the product in terms of THC levels as well as knowledge of the strain and whether any pesticides or chemicals were used in the growing process. Finally, the state adds ~20% tax on all cannabis sales, providing pretty decent revenue. Of course regulations vary from state to state, so that example is just a generalization.

But what we have in Thailand is unknown vendors offering mystery product (strain unknown, THC levels uncertain, potentially grown with pesticides), sold on the street without any tax revenue whatsoever.

I'm the biggest stoner I know, but now that it's legal I'm still not gonna buy from some rando dealer. I'd much rather pay 20% tax if it means I can be assured the product I'm ingesting is safe.

Paying tax would be a good idea, especially as this government is in terrible need of money. But, as it is Thailand, i rather doubt, that this would give any quality assurance or use of pesticides or other chemicals.

regulating ganja now would mean not only tax (so higher prices) but certification, licences which would also cost and to be renewed on yearly basis.

And it would be the health ministry job and their particular income.

Knowing dr Anutin and the Bhumjai party mafia roots it's obvious they will profit financially from issuing those licences.

Let people to get high on ganja, than smoke much more harmful cigarettes and alcohol.

That would be cheaper for them, especially if home grown.

There should be as little regulations as possible. What is now is an ideal legal situation

Edited by internationalism

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

How many 100's of thousands of these plants were given out?

It is the wild west of weed I see people off some of the back Sois in Pattaya selling it at the front of their house. 

I think it was a million, but don't get complacent, people may have taken cuttings so it could be in the 10's of millions now , plus all the plants that people are growing from seed, and cuttings off those too could actually be billions !!!!   And in a few months it will all be ready to smoke , what will become of us all ?   lol

"The wild west of weed"  sounds very dramatic but what you do you actually  mean.????      people selling outside their houses ?       whatever next, call the police , ?       oh dear you can't as no crime has been committed and they won't be interested., will they?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, clokwise said:

Regardless of these sensational stories in the media about the dangers of cannabis, I do believe the Thai govt missed a terrific opportunity to regulate and tax the growers and vendors. Look at how it works in the USA, where you can only purchase weed legally from a registered marijuana vendor, and can only purchase products grown under license. Often the products come with a QR code link to an independent assay of that particular batch. This provides greater assurance of the quality of the product in terms of THC levels as well as knowledge of the strain and whether any pesticides or chemicals were used in the growing process. Finally, the state adds ~20% tax on all cannabis sales, providing pretty decent revenue. Of course regulations vary from state to state, so that example is just a generalization.

But what we have in Thailand is unknown vendors offering mystery product (strain unknown, THC levels uncertain, potentially grown with pesticides), sold on the street without any tax revenue whatsoever.

I'm the biggest stoner I know, but now that it's legal I'm still not gonna buy from some rando dealer. I'd much rather pay 20% tax if it means I can be assured the product I'm ingesting is safe.

sure get the Thai government involved and then nobody could afford it. They will add 1000% tax, plus vat, plus this plus that. 

Best is to leave it an open market. Labs will open up to provide testing and sellers will start to provide lab tested products. If people want this it will happen naturally. Getting government's involved just screw things up. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Stalls selling cannabis leaves and buds are popping up on busy roads like Bangkok’s Silom and Khao San and Nimmanhaemin in Chiang Mai, with some even offering ready-rolled joints for customers to smoke.

Which is supposedly illegal?

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Restaurants – from luxury bistros to streetside eateries – have started adding marijuana to their dishes as the “cannabis cash-crop” trend takes off.

Gimmicks rule in Thailand... 

18 hours ago, clokwise said:

Well this is Thailand so we expect Thai style.