Jatukam

soundman

Nonsense! Thais would pray to a milk carton twisted in to the image of something lucky.

I'm surprised they don't all own horses. Afterall, horses do have luckyness nailed to each hoof.

Yes I agree with your 'Nonsense' comment. The article is interesting, but the last paragraph of the Thai-based reporter's article seems to suggest a seriously flawed understanding of Thai worship, beliefs & superstitions. Nonetheless, the overall article is interesting background.

Edited by Ping

What is New ? Human have great imagination .

since the Dawn of time .. look at history how Many god had been created . and till now many is still confuse and give faith hoping for reward in life .

this is notthing new . the game is the same . and is as blinding as the one before .

so tell me .. are you blind by money or god itself or teh fear of one after life . of if you are going to hel_l or heaven next .

well . when will human grow up .. maybe before we die we will know :o

till then .. if it make you happy . i assume is not that bad

I agree that everyone should be allowed to believe in what they want - and if they choose to believe in the 'luckyness' of some rip-off, mass-produced item, then that's up to them.

But this craze is making some unscrupulous people who produce these fakes very big money! Would it be acceptable if I started manufacturing such junk items and sold them at high prices, on the pretence that they are a genuine, blessed item? etc etc

BTW, most of the mobile phone shops in MBK BKK now sell these fakes as well...

And I don't suggest that you take the p*ss out of a Thai person who wears these items. Their sense of belief in luck and ghosts etc is way above that of 'farang'

(I've started my MA in Thai Studies now and am learning a hel_l of a lot about Thai people/culture/Jatukam etc that I never knew after living here for 5 years :o

Simon

I lecture my staff weekly on the dangers of clothing & jewellery around machinery.

Well, today, the Jatukham wasn't protecting one of them.

He managed to get it caught in a 10HP circular saw. Would have ripped his head off if the necklace holding it hadn't broken.

Un-believable!!

Soundman.

I notice a lot of people wear the amulets on their back...read an article in BKK Post a while back on this craze that mentioned a lot of ....ermmm....gangsta use these talismans worn on back to protect for unexpected attack from behind (not just for wealth/riches).

Sooooo....how about a Kevlar bulletproof version, about 16" in diameter? Protects all the vital areas, AND can be flung like a lethal discus in a pinch (somehow I think this might not be compatible with mainstream Buddhist beliefs?!?) :o