They say travel broadens the mind - they’ve obviously never met a tourist!

webfact

1 hour ago, CM Dad said:

Photos?

Sorry no photos it's all in my head, but I will tell you one thing and that was the girls were lined up in front of my room at the hotel. All I had to do was to pick one and it was the hotel that the USAF advised us to stay at. The good old days!

Hey Rooster, thanks for another good update on the news. I see your critics who can barely string a few

sentences together are still out in force. I do not like flying, but it is the only way from Canada to Thailand

in under 2 months or so on a freighter ship. I stay seated with my seatbelt on as one never really knows when CAT, or Clear Air

Turbulence can happen. I have been on bad flights where meals and drinks are delayed for over an hour until the

flights either climbs or descends to smoother air enroute. Thanks for the addition of picture as well.

Harvey M. I am only 10 years older than you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:59 PM, Lacessit said:

The engines are fine, it's the software one should worry about. Boeing shelled out $2.5 billion in penalties after covering up on the 737 MAX. That did not bring any of the victims back.

3722 people have died in Boeing 747 accidents, so it's not a spotless record.

Why should I fly in a Boeing???

Airbus-tickets are a little bit more expensive, but the flight is much safer.

Every time when we go to Hua Hin we take a plane. That is not much more expensive than a bus or a train ticket, but it is at least 100x safer than sitting in a bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and vice versa.

And it's more relaxing. A flight CNX to BKK or DMG takes a little bit mor than 1 hour, driving by bus takes 9 hours ore more, depending on the traffic jam.

28 minutes ago, puck2 said:

Every time when we go to Hua Hin we take a plane. That is not much more expensive than a bus or a train ticket, but it is at least 100x safer than sitting in a bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and vice versa.

And it's more relaxing. A flight CNX to BKK or DMG takes a little bit mor than 1 hour, driving by bus takes 9 hours ore more, depending on the traffic jam.

When comparing Airbus and Boeing accident data, it's important to remember Boeing has been around for a fair bit longer than Airbus, and with more aircraft. It's probably line ball as to which brand is safer.

No argument air travel is quicker, once one gets airborne. There's a fair bit of faffing around at the airports.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

When comparing Airbus and Boeing accident data, it's important to remember Boeing has been around for a fair bit longer than Airbus, and with more aircraft. It's probably line ball as to which brand is safer.

No argument air travel is quicker, once one gets airborne. There's a fair bit of faffing around at the airports.

Comparison data is made over the same period of time not the whole time each company has been in operation hence between 2000 and 2020 Airbus has a far better safety record than Boeing. Boeing has an atrocious safety record and whistle blowers have told of the Boeing production line fitting badly made control wiring in order to cut cost

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RobU said:

Comparison data is made over the same period of time not the whole time each company has been in operation hence between 2000 and 2020 Airbus has a far better safety record than Boeing. Boeing has an atrocious safety record and whistle blowers have told of the Boeing production line fitting badly made control wiring in order to cut cost

The Boeing 707 first went into service in 1958. I agree in the time frame you mention Airbus has a better safety record, and the present time frame is probably more appropriate for comparison.

Having said that, I think it is safe to say Boeing's decline started when the aircraft engineers were sidelined, and four-eyed laptop-toting bean counters started calling the shots.

• Like 2

Hey, who gave Rooster the day off??   My Satuerday/Sunday morning reading has been interrupted without an article from The Rooster.   How will I ever get through this week without a Rooster episode????  Hope all is well.       Peace

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Good One Rooster and very Interesting, and yes I am nearly, 67 actually, and still going !!! ...

And Yes, Tourism is Tiring !!! Like not much education ariving there I think, … though well it DOES take some people out of their just so controlled, and now often difficult world, and does show them something pretty different usually ??? … If not the Real world of where they actually are, … still I have seen a LOT of Really good Tourist shows !!! … Like Gong Music in Indonesia etc. where the audience gets to play !!! … Like yes those Loud Tinging bells Or the big Gongs !!!  ... do not volunteer for them, if your timing is not much good !!! ... and History ! and Art !!! …. Yes keep it going !!! as in the big Picture, I do think that it is good ... and like most things, ... you get out of it, what you put in, ... and are prepared to make, out of it !!! ... ???

Interesting to read about Uber ? Yes a LOT of negative press building up about them !!! Just about everywhere now ... The Gods of Cheap Taxies and ride sharing !!! Have fallen ? … Well not yet but I believe you, and am sure that you are on the right track there ....

Yes, Time to start getting GOOD people, some GOOD work !!! … and to start paying them properly !!! …. God I come from Australia (The so called Lucky Country, but well Really it is just the only one where the Aboriginals left huge amounts of Natural resources, right on the surface !!! and never touched them right ? I think ???) … …. And what the Liberal ? (Torie ?) government has done over there to advance the Rich, and not even give a TOSS about the workers !!! …(Well except the Coal miners as they live in an important state, and adamant, but a swing electorate, that they needed to stay in power !!!) … (Read Queensland here) … 

… and do not even mention the Poor !!! Like who are they ??? ... (Haven’t they got their Uniting Care sleeping bag yet !!! ???) .... and well the corruption of Religion. ... Not so bad there ! ? ... but it does still just go on, so enjoyed reading you on that also. Gay people going to hell !!! They all pretty much fall for that one I think ? well some of them I guess. …

And drowning in Thailand by, being on the wrong beach, .... in the monsoon Season !!! Like I NEALY DID DIE also !!!

… On Kata Beach, no flags, and do not swim signs but well hey I am a good swimmer !!! Until I DID get caught in a rip, and was going out to sea, faster than I could try to swim back, … and being pounded down to the bottom, by Breaking waves about every 10 seconds !!! … I then could understand how these people DO die here in Thailand, and well in other Rip and heavy surf parts of the world !!! 

Like it is when the Waves get so close together, that you do not actually have time to swim much any way !!! … and then when they start breaking out in the deep water !!! … Well if you are just an average swimmer, and get caught in one of these rips, ... well then your Good days, very well could be over. … Like found on the bottom in about the same place a few days later !!! …

Like you MUST know when it is getting like this ! … and my advice is get out of the water ASAP if it is as you might NOT get a second chance. … My sad experience was on Koh Chang where a group of young Thai men turned up, and just got out of their car and ran out in to the storm sea !!! … Like Varrrr, … and only 4 out of 6 came back I think ??? … So 3 days with the Boys parents, just waiting, … until their bodies came back up in about 3 days I think, almost in the same spot, that they had gone in to it !!!

I was luck on kata beach, and it was only a minor rip ...and it stopped and I got back in to touch !!! … There were other bigger ones out there, for sure !!! and if I had not been Lucky, I did choose the Non draining liking spit, …. But it was not a minor one that DID come there a bit further out !!!  But if it had been a bigger one, … eve by just a tad !!! …. I would have been Dead I think, … Drowned !!! …. and that would have been a very big surprise !!! Like no sign of rescue ... there were REALLY Big and obvious do not swim signs !!! … So it would all just have been my own fault any way, and cry for any one that tried to help me and got in to trouble as well !!! …

Any way I have missed you Colum for this week end Rooster ? … Maybe I am searching wrong ??? … Have a good one ... Still kicking !!!

(Went to BKK and parked my Car in the Great Nana car park last week … (And hopefully had a very Nice young lady, or the likes, leaning on it at night !!! ... Like the, Suhmkvit, Soi 4 Country, Bumpkin, ! Ayuttahya Executives !!!  Arrives Right ??? ...  So relieved to have made it !!! that we went in through the Out Lane, and quite up set the Taxi Door Guys … Hale ! Hale !!!  ... But We Made it !!! … And well things are picking up there now, I can tell you. ... Like Hotels getting full again, .... internets (Probably set up for the Low volume of the epidemic) getting jammed again now etc. … Very High Prices for food ! ??? .... And well lucky I did not have to go to the Bloody Airport !!!)

Yes things ARE picking up again Rooster !!! and about Bloody time. !!! Right !!!

Mark mark

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 12:08 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

Hey, who gave Rooster the day off??   My Satuerday/Sunday morning reading has been interrupted without an article from The Rooster.   How will I ever get through this week without a Rooster episode????  Hope all is well.       Peace

I had a week off due to there being so little news....

Normal service will be resumed on Sat July 30th. 

Cheers,

Rooster

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

I believe the original quote was: 'Travel broadens the mind of the intelligent but narrows the mind of the ignorant.'

Just by reading the comments of the haters and Thai bashers we can see how true this is.

Sometimes I feel like I'm losing the will to live with the negativity on AN. I'm also tired of calling it out. Mind you the best means of defence is attack!!!

So look out for a doozy of. Column I have planned for fist week in August.

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, puck2 said:

Every time I go to Hua Hin I die of boredom, so I might as well take the bus.

Rooster

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 4:01 PM, DJ54 said:

Rooster did you get your wings clipped for your escapade after dark recently….. can Roosters fly…

Enjoy the week…

I have never had my wings clipped by anyone. If they say they did I let them believe it.

Rooster

On 7/19/2022 at 9:48 AM, Stargeezr said:

Hey Rooster, thanks for another good update on the news. I see your critics who can barely string a few

sentences together are still out in force. I do not like flying, but it is the only way from Canada to Thailand

in under 2 months or so on a freighter ship. I stay seated with my seatbelt on as one never really knows when CAT, or Clear Air

Turbulence can happen. I have been on bad flights where meals and drinks are delayed for over an hour until the

flights either climbs or descends to smoother air enroute. Thanks for the addition of picture as well.

Harvey M. I am only 10 years older than you.

Roosters were not made to fly. We.like to peck and annoy.peoplr with our early morning calls. 

Thx for reading,

Rooster

On 7/17/2022 at 1:25 PM, Lemsta69 said:

good god man that's an awful lot of blether. I didnae make it past the first paragraph. 

At least I didn't make a mistake in the first letter.

Try Twitter next time, the banality and the brevity there may be more appealing to your sensibilities.

Rooster

On 7/17/2022 at 11:18 AM, rumak said:

I would never have thought that i would write this... because i have sometimes taken exception to a few opinions Rooster expresses.   On the other hand i have given my opinion that all in all its not a bad diversion from the MUCH more trite and self-congratulatory postings that comprise so much of these forums. 

And,  IMO  ,  from reading his somewhat autobiographical musings,   he has indeed experienced a hell of a lot more than the keyboard warriors that can only utter nonsense like  " yeah, tell us once again how long you've been here" .   (well,  i think i once said that too  hahaha).No matter,  he puts out something that nobody else here seems to be able to do .  And personally i see a little bit of progress in some areas ...... that come with  a perspective that evolves somewhat as one crosses that 60 year old threshold .  

On the other hand..... those who might be evolving in a more negative direction will always have their place here to throw darts.     

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. This was column number 327 in six years. It's not easy to come up with original material each time....

Unless I told my best stories!!!! Maybe one day I might.

Thanks for your continued interest in TWTW.

Rooster