Variable medication costs

Lacessit

40 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Off topic. My father, who is 90, has been suffering from side effects to medicines for a number of years and the combination has led to a number of stomach issues, including gastrointestinal perforation requiring surgery. It is believed that this was a result of BPH and BP meds, including blood thinners. He's off the BPH meds now thanks to TURP nearly 2 years ago, but is still having issues with blood thinners and statins. Luckily, he gets all his meds on the NHS so not out of pocket expense.

Agree. I was prescribed Somac for gastric reflux, and the most probable cause was my consumption of Diclofenac for osteoarthritis, and quinine for night cramps. Both are stomach irritants. Once I got rid of them, my need for gastric reflux medication disappeared.

I'm not keen on having a TURP, reports on side effects are not good. If push comes to shove, I'll probably go for the Rezum treatment instead as less problematic.

Off topic as well. But hey, it is the thread I started.

7 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Rule number 1: Never buy meds from a hospital. Always just get the prescription and get it filled at a local pharmacy/clinic.

If paying the bill yes - for those of us with insurance not always worth the smaller savings.  Hospital does provide an extra level of oversight for your medications/conditions by trained pharmacist's.   This is unlikely in a pharmacy. 

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If paying the bill yes - for those of us with insurance not always worth the smaller savings.  Hospital does provide an extra level of oversight for your medications/conditions by trained pharmacist's.   This is unlikely in a pharmacy. 

Many Thai doctors seem to be shills for the pharmaceutical industry, judging by the fistfuls of medications they prescribe.

Having been prescribed prednisolone and clindamycin at two Thai hospitals, both with unexpected and alarming side reactions, I beg to differ.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Agree. I was prescribed Somac for gastric reflux, and the most probable cause was my consumption of Diclofenac for osteoarthritis, and quinine for night cramps. Both are stomach irritants. Once I got rid of them, my need for gastric reflux medication disappeared.

I'm not keen on having a TURP, reports on side effects are not good. If push comes to shove, I'll probably go for the Rezum treatment instead as less problematic.

Off topic as well. But hey, it is the thread I started.

I had Rezum last October and am happy with the results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Many Thai doctors seem to be shills for the pharmaceutical industry, judging by the fistfuls of medications they prescribe.

Having been prescribed prednisolone and clindamycin at two Thai hospitals, both with unexpected and alarming side reactions, I beg to differ.

But you state nothing about review - just side reactions - which is something that may happen to some but not to others - as for pushing pills not sure how that has anything to do with buying from hospital or outside pharmacy.  As for shills suspect you will find much more of that outside hospital settings.  

54 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But you state nothing about review - just side reactions - which is something that may happen to some but not to others - as for pushing pills not sure how that has anything to do with buying from hospital or outside pharmacy.  As for shills suspect you will find much more of that outside hospital settings.  

When my GF goes to the government hospital, she usually comes back with 4 or 5 different medications.

Don't know what you mean about review, you think a hospital pharmacist is going to contradict one of the doctors?

My point is side reactions with medications are more frequent and severe in the elderly. Perhaps when you get to my age, you will understand that.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Don't know what you mean about review, you think a hospital pharmacist is going to contradict one of the doctors?

Actually yes - I have had it happen a number of times - and the pharmacist has prevailed.  They are much more aware of drug issues than most doctors and better doctors know this.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually yes - I have had it happen a number of times - and the pharmacist has prevailed.  They are much more aware of drug issues than most doctors and better doctors know this.

Noted your location is Bangkok, perhaps the balance of "better doctors" and prevailing pharmacists is different to up north.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:10 PM, Lacessit said:

Having been prescribed prednisolone

What side effects please? I have been prescribed for Nasal Polyps. I read that you should 'overdose' for the first few days, then slowly wean off them.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

What side effects please? I have been prescribed for Nasal Polyps. I read that you should 'overdose' for the first few days, then slowly wean off them.

For me, it resulted in mental confusion and memory loss. Scared the hell out of me.

Example, I go to a nearby 7/11, get a basket for some items. I'm going through the condo gate when I realize I have the shopping in a bag in one hand, and the empty 7/11 basket in the other. The security guy nearly wet himself laughing.

I'm not saying that will happen to everyone, we all are different.

• Haha 2

On 7/16/2022 at 9:31 AM, Lacessit said:

With Finasteride, the same pharmacy chain sells a 30-pill pack for 555 baht. An independent pharmacy sells the identical pack for 900 baht.

Just got from local hospital FINAX 5mg............Bht 120 for 30 tablets!

On 7/17/2022 at 5:01 PM, Dart12 said:

But even them, I'll shop around if it's a higher priced drug like Finerade.

Best I could find on that drug here was 700 baht (I think) for 30 5mg pills.  I forget exact price because I only buy every other month.

Local Government hospital.....Bht 120 for 30 FINAX 5.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Local Government hospital.....Bht 120 for 30 FINAX 5.

I have yet to see a hospital charge less.  But I will certainly check this out.  That is a huge savings from 700 baht for 30 Firide brand.

Maybe I should check pharmacy for FINAX as well.

• Like 1