Visa run options from Chiang Mai - UK National

Hi, I came to thailand early april, stayed for 90 days and managed to get a covid extension. I'm looking to do a visa run next month. What are the best visa runs from Chiang Mai? I don't mind flying if its easier, though i read its safer to do a land run as im allowed 2 per year and i havent done a land crossing yet. I guess im asking which is the best/fastest/least hassle country/city to goto to renew. Also is it possible to renew for a 60 days visa like the one i came on from UK,  i used the e-visa system.

many thanks. glad i found this site, great info here.

Montana

37 minutes ago, montana2008 said:

I'm looking to do a visa run next month

First up ..keep an eye on what's happening with covid extensions post July 25.

You could do a border bounce from CM and enter visa exempt.

With a 30 day extension that gives 60 days.

You could repeat.

You could obtain a SETV at neighbouring consulate.

Vientiane or even Saigon to name couple. 

Thanks for the reply DrJack, Chiang Mai Immigration told me I can't apply for another Covid extension as they are stopping it and i will have to exit Thailand end of August and come back to thailand.

When you say border bounce from CM you mean just exit thailand and head to Vientiane or Saigon for example and then just return? I automatically get 30 days and extend for another 30?

all the best

Montana

Edited by montana2008
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, montana2008 said:

When you say border bounce from CM you mean just exit thailand and head to Vientiane or Saigon for example and then just return

You would only go to Saigon if you wanted a SETV.

Border bounce ...just go to border and exit reenter visa exempt.

You will be stamped in for 30 days with visa exempt entry and can extend by 30.

As for covid extension ignore CM immigration....just another office with big boy pants.

Use an agent. 5-6k including application fee. 

Announcement re Covid extensions should be close to July 25

• Haha 1

Thanks for the great info DrJack, ill wait until July 25th and see the state of play.  If i head to Saigon would i have to stay there for couple of weeks or can i just stay there for few days and head back to thailand? Also do you know any decent agencies in CM? Thought i would ask just incase. no worries if you dont know.

many thanks

Montana

5 hours ago, montana2008 said:

If i head to Saigon would i have to stay there for couple of weeks or can i just stay there for few days and head back to thailand

To obtain tourist visa at Saigon consulate it's an overnight process.

Drop application in AM and pick up next day PM.

You don't need to stay a few weeks in Vietnam, however great joint and min few days a good plan. 

6 hours ago, montana2008 said:

.  If i head to Saigon would i have to stay there for couple of weeks or can i just stay there for few days and head back to thailand

Forgot to mention....

Think you mentioned that you are UK? 

UK passport holders have a 14 day visa exempt for Vietnam. 

Most likely you are aware of that. 

6 minutes ago, montana2008 said:

forgive my ignorance DrJack, just checking. Im UK yes, so i can head to Saigon and have 14 day stamp automatically?

Yes bit similar to your 30 day visa exempt entry to Thailand.

Not all countries have this sweet deal for Vietnam.

I'm Oz and require a visa

• Like 1

17 hours ago, montana2008 said:

What are the best visa runs from Chiang Mai? 

If you are resident in Chiang Mai and have transport, may I suggest the land border crossing into Laos at Chiang Khong (Friendship Bridge) where there is a relatively new Immigration Office. Take route 118 from CNX to Mae Khachan (passing the hot springs complex). Turn right onto route 120 heading eastwards to Phayao, following this route until you eventually meet "T" junction with route 1021. Turn right and follow this route until meeting with route 1020. Turn right and follow 1020 eventually reaching Chiang Khong on the Mekong. The distance is just under 300kms, taking around 4 hours. This was one of my border bounces when I lived in Lanna. No doubt one of our visa experts will confirm if this is feasible and I thank them in advance, also apologizing for any incorrect information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1