Don Muang from Pattaya

bradiston

Trying to figure out best way to DMK from Pattaya, excluding taxis (Cheap Charlie Travel). So far, I've got:

1. Bus to Ekamai (or hop off at first BTS stop), BTS to Wat Phra Sri Mahatat, then bus to DMK. I'm not sure about this bus. Any pointers?

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Pattaya/Don-Muang-Airport-DMK#r/Bus-BTS/s/4

Or

2. Bus to Ekamai (as above), Asok, MRT to Bang Seu, Bang Seu to DMK on red line.

Only 7 kg of luggage on wheels.

Any experience of these, or other suggestions. I need an early bus from Pattaya, 1100 flight, so BKK airport bus not an option. TIA.

Edited by bradiston

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

My advice is to upgrade cheap charlie to elon cab king. Then you might pay 1 500 and travel short time and comfortable.

Thanks, but I specifically excluded taxis. I'm planning on getting to the airport by about 8am. Rush hour in Bangkok, no? Long time since I went anywhere near it.

20 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Thanks, but I specifically excluded taxis. I'm planning on getting to the airport by about 8am. Rush hour in Bangkok, no? Long time since I went anywhere near it.

Yes, I know it´s rush hour at that time. If I were you I would get there to 06.00. Then you have time for a beer breakfast. ???? 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

"1. Bus to Ekamai (or hop off at first BTS stop), BTS to Wat Phra Sri Mahatat, then bus to DMK. "

4 bus options. Around 35 minutes. Traffic can get very bad on that East to West Road. 

Screenshot_20220718-023714_BusMap.thumb.jpg.9224271654b628ab86f16df676a174f0.jpg

Edited by Gaccha

Been using Ann for years to go everywhere and always there waiting /never a problem / can't beat the price:

(well you can beat the price if you want to dick around with all the BS to save a couple bucks when you can get in one vehicle/AC/relax that is)

http://www.pattaya-taxiservice.com/service rate.html

Edited by mushroomdave
  • Confused 1

Thanks responders, but as I said in the OP, I'm excluding taxis. And posting repeats of links I already posted is fairly pointless.

I was hoping for first hand experience of this trip. Surely it's a fairly common one? Anyway, I think the Ekamai bus/BTS/MRT combo via Bang Seu looks most promising.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

The train goes near the DM airport.......

I had so many traffic delays that scared me back in DMG days that I got into the habit of traveling the day before my flight and staying at a nearby hotel. The cost seemed trivial compared to missing the flight. 

You mean the red line from Bang Seu? Yes, there is a helpful video of the trip on YouTube. A bit of walking involved, but probably welcome after buses and trains. Luckily the Pattaya to Ekamai buses start at about 0430. The BKK ones from Jomtien at about 0730. And can park a motorbike at North bus terminal.

There are (or used to be) Minivans leaving from Central Pattaya Road (near Sukhumvit) to Bangkok (I think Rangsit). You can hop off right in front of DMK. I think it is/was about 180 Baht and took about 2 ½ hours.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Thanks responders, but as I said in the OP, I'm excluding taxis. And posting repeats of links I already posted is fairly pointless.

I was hoping for first hand experience of this trip. Surely it's a fairly common one? Anyway, I think the Ekamai bus/BTS/MRT combo via Bang Seu looks most promising.

It is a couple of years since I last went but we did BTS to Mochit BTS and there was a shuttle bus from there into the airport, a big letter "A" in the windscreen.

But you are probably right Bang Sue may be the safer option, plenty of trains from Bang Sue to Don Mueang station, apparently not too far from station into airport.

I would suggest getting the MRT from BTS Asok to Bang Sue, easier changeover but check the direction, can go both ways from there but shorter going via Lat Phrao

If old enough can get the senior fare on MRT, good  luck.

32 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

You can do the entire trip by train. From Pattaya > bangkok > Don muang.

May cost you a whole 50 baht

And arrive NEXT morning at 8 AM? :biggrin:

I remind posters that the OP want's to catch an 11 AM flight, wanting to be at the airport at 8 AM!

I doubt that there is any cheap trip option in less than 3? hours.

Buses from Pattaya at 4 to 5 AM? Good luck.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And arrive NEXT morning at 8 AM? :biggrin:

I remind posters that the OP want's to catch an 11 AM flight, wanting to be at the airport at 8 AM!

I doubt that there is any cheap trip option in less than 3? hours.

Buses from Pattaya at 4 to 5 AM? Good luck.

According to the link in my above post (and assuming the information is correct), the first bus to Mo Chit lis at 05:00 and the first bus to Ekamai is at 04:30, so I'd say it's doable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brotherother said:

According to the link in my above post (and assuming the information is correct), the first bus to Mo Chit lis at 05:00 and the first bus to Ekamai is at 04:30, so I'd say it's doable. 

Ok. Even as an early bird I never was at the bus station so early.

If it was me I would check ahead at the northern bus terminal.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Your flight from North BKK is at 11:00, but you want to arrive at 08:00, travelling from Pattaya. Wow. And there's me feeling pleased with myself whenever I arrive within 60 minutes of my scheduled departure time.

If you want to be a genuine Super Giga Chad Cheap Charlie, rather than a pretend one, you'd take the Suvarnabhumi bus from Jomtien that now runs from 07:00, arriving at the airport 08:30 - little traffic on the highway at that time.

https://airportpattayabus.com/from-pattaya/

You would then take the shuttle bus from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang that costs 0 Baht, aiming to arrive before 10:00 AM. An hour before your flight. Plenty of time.

https://thaiest.com/blog/shuttle-bus-between-bangkok-airports-suvarnabhumi-don-mueang

Might you run into a bit of traffic, even on the expressway to DM, and miss your flight? Sure. But as a true Cheap Charlie, you must have faith brother. And all the adrenaline you feel while wondering "have I really <deleted> up everything to save a few Baht" means you can save a further 50B on your morning coffee.

As for motorbike parking, why pay anything at the North Bus terminal! You can park for free in the unused bays behind Fraser's / Gian's. Sure it says "Parking for XYZ only" but XYZ has been closed for over a year! No one is going to steal your bike in full view of Thappraya traffic. Well, you hope not, but that's another free shot of caffeine-substitute for you. "Will my bike still be there upon my arrival!" Exciting stuff.

Edited by Atlantis
Link added

Whenever I have an early flight from Bangkok, I book into a hotel near the airport, usually free airport drop-off, and no tension about missing flight, traffic, etc.

Usually very cheap, around 500 baht, for AC and comfortable rooms, on Agoda (use the map feature to find hotels near the airport).

• Like 2

Depending on your timing of course, bus from Pattaya to Swampy, then the free shuttle to D Muang.

Sorry Atlantis, you said it first.

Edited by KannikaP

3 hours ago, brotherother said:

the first bus to Mo Chit lis at 05:00 and the first bus to Ekamai is at 04:30, so I'd say it's doable. 

Just read a current article (in German) confirming this.

(Roong Reuang Coach Co. going back to normal schedule)

So 4:30 to Ekamai would that be (for me).

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Your flight from North BKK is at 11:00, but you want to arrive at 08:00, travelling from Pattaya. Wow. And there's me feeling pleased with myself whenever I arrive within 60 minutes of my scheduled departure time.

If you want to be a genuine Super Giga Chad Cheap Charlie, rather than a pretend one, you'd take the Suvarnabhumi bus from Jomtien that now runs from 07:00, arriving at the airport 08:30 - little traffic on the highway at that time.

https://airportpattayabus.com/from-pattaya/

You would then take the shuttle bus from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang that costs 0 Baht, aiming to arrive before 10:00 AM. An hour before your flight. Plenty of time.

https://thaiest.com/blog/shuttle-bus-between-bangkok-airports-suvarnabhumi-don-mueang

Might you run into a bit of traffic, even on the expressway to DM, and miss your flight? Sure. But as a true Cheap Charlie, you must have faith brother. And all the adrenaline you feel while wondering "have I really <deleted> up everything to save a few Baht" means you can save a further 50B on your morning coffee.

As for motorbike parking, why pay anything at the North Bus terminal! You can park for free in the unused bays behind Fraser's / Gian's. Sure it says "Parking for XYZ only" but XYZ has been closed for over a year! No one is going to steal your bike in full view of Thappraya traffic. Well, you hope not, but that's another free shot of caffeine-substitute for you. "Will my bike still be there upon my arrival!" Exciting stuff.

Cheap Charlie not same Cheap Chump! Although I don't do this for the buzz, I do like a bit of a challenge, which a taxi isn't. I'll be setting off hopefully on the 0430 Ekamai bus, possibly the 0500 Morchit bus, and taking it from there. I'd rather 3 hours checked in at the airport than sweating it out in a traffic jam 15 minutes prior to check in closing. Been there, got the empty valium bottle and the charge sheet for public disorder. Better safe than raving mad!

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just read a current article (in German) confirming this.

(Roong Reuang Coach Co. going back to normal schedule)

So 4:30 to Ekamai would that be (for me).

Yes, just checked myself at the NBT. 0430 first out for Ekamai, 0500 for Morchit. Picture of Morchit timetable both ways.

IMG_20220718_111715.jpg

• Like 1

There is a mini van runs to DM, the van drop you off just outside the airport price is 180฿ takes about 2 half hours

You catch the van just up from the harbour mall on the same side of the road, you can't miss it 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

There is a mini van runs to DM, the van drop you off just outside the airport price is 180฿ takes about 2 half hours

You catch the van just up from the harbour mall on the same side of the road, you can't miss it 

Yes, I checked it out, just past a 7.  First van at 0600. But for me, minivans are really unknown variables. I was told 3 hours. An 0900 arrival would be perfect in reality, but they always somehow stretch it out, so I'll probably stick to plan A, or was it B? Whatever!

15 hours ago, dayo202 said:

Here's the place mentioned, OP if you have time, stop by and find out when the 1st minibus/van leaves in the morning. Seems better than making a few connections.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9327526,100.8979793,3a,37.8y,27.46h,89.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQqXBE9Zj3ETgSnNDmVPmPQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by bbko
  • Thanks 1