NATO - time to move in?

Just now, jvs said:

Yes the word is getting around.People send there will have no

battle experience and will be just cannon futter.

Winter is coming ,not a good time to join the russian army.

You meet quite a number of Russians here in Pattaya. Believe me, they are far from all bad. Many have family in Ukraine. It's a crazy situation for them too. But opposing Putin is an almost impossible task for Russians, so there's no banking on an internal coup I don't think. They face heavy penalties for showing any sign of opposition. I asked a 15 yo lad how it was in Moscow right now. He said it's really pretty normal but people miss their luxuries, "like Nike" he said. So quite what effect sanctions are having is hard to say.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, KhunLA said:

... or start WWIII

There wouldn't have been a WWII with that attitude. Hitler and Stalin invaded Poland, Hitler Czechoslovakia, Austria, and the Sudetenland. France and the UK declared war on Germany. Appeasement didn't work. The Nazis were not a nice bunch. Nor Mussolini, nor the Imperial Japanese army. Europeans have been lulled into a false sense of security. Now, they've been found out.

The drums of war are beating louder every day.

The UK Armed Forces Chief has already declared that the UK military must be ready to fight Russia any day now and asked the troops to tell their loved ones that they're soon going to war. Liz Truss has said that she is ready to go nuclear against Russia. Boris Johnson has just made a surprise visit to Zelensky to tell him not to get into peace talks with Satan Putin.

And Macron has made a very disquieting speech that has alarmed the French. Basically he said that their carefree life of abundance is over and they must be ready for "sacrifices"  and privations from now on. Did he mean WWIII is coming? 

Enormous strategic and financial interests are at stake to make this Ukraine proxy war to go on and maybe develop into a full scale WWIII. Maybe nuclear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jayceenik said:

The drums of war are beating louder every day.

The UK Armed Forces Chief has already declared that the UK military must be ready to fight Russia any day now and asked the troops to tell their loved ones that they're soon going to war. Liz Truss has said that she is ready to go nuclear against Russia. Boris Johnson has just made a surprise visit to Zelensky to tell him not to get into peace talks with Satan Putin.

And Macron has made a very disquieting speech that has alarmed the French. Basically he said that their carefree life of abundance is over and they must be ready for "sacrifices"  and privations from now on. Did he mean WWIII is coming? 

Enormous strategic and financial interests are at stake to make this Ukraine proxy war to go on and maybe develop into a full scale WWIII. Maybe nuclear.

I don't believe the nuclear war mongers. All bets would be off. Russia would disappear off the map, as would most of Europe, so what the heck would be the point?  If China got involved....? Well I really don't think that's ever going to happen. Despite their apparent support for Putin, they are nowhere near stupid enough to get dragged into that. In fact quite the opposite. And the same goes for India and Pakistan. North Korea wouldn't last long under a hail of US warheads either.

I can't believe Truss ever came out with such a stupid statement, but maybe you have a source for that.

Sure, things could escalate. Putin will whine like sxxx if European bases are used to repel his wretched wreckers. An air led defense has a much greater potential I would imagine than land based. It would be in Ukraine airspace, a friendly territory. Any incursions by Moscow would immediately be flagged as a violation of international law, and an act of war.

But it seems the world is just watching and waiting, but for what is anybody's guess. How bad does it have to get? I think if the US and Europe got themselves together, not sure really what Putin's answer would be. He would only use nuclear in retaliation or in response to an existential threat to Russia, something that, despite his rubbish rhetoric, has never been on the cards.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 2:53 PM, bradiston said:

I don't believe the nuclear war mongers. All bets would be off. Russia would disappear off the map, as would most of Europe, so what the heck would be the point?  If China got involved....? Well I really don't think that's ever going to happen. Despite their apparent support for Putin, they are nowhere near stupid enough to get dragged into that. In fact quite the opposite. And the same goes for India and Pakistan. North Korea wouldn't last long under a hail of US warheads either.

I can't believe Truss ever came out with such a stupid statement, but maybe you have a source for that.

Sure, things could escalate. Putin will whine like sxxx if European bases are used to repel his wretched wreckers. An air led defense has a much greater potential I would imagine than land based. It would be in Ukraine airspace, a friendly territory. Any incursions by Moscow would immediately be flagged as a violation of international law, and an act of war.

But it seems the world is just watching and waiting, but for what is anybody's guess. How bad does it have to get? I think if the US and Europe got themselves together, not sure really what Putin's answer would be. He would only use nuclear in retaliation or in response to an existential threat to Russia, something that, despite his rubbish rhetoric, has never been on the cards.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/liz-truss-ready-to-press-nuclear-button-tory-leadership-race_uk_6305d5e4e4b00c150d662c87

https://tass.com/politics/1497439

I very well understand the geostrategic and economic motivations of the US to wage a proxy war war against Russia in the Ukraine. That the EU vassal states follow diligently their American Leader to WWIII is clear to me too. But, though I've learned a lot about that conflict I totally fail to see what would be the profit for a Brexit UK to go nuclear against Russia, Unless the UK is truly well more vassal to the US than I thought. Because, of course the UK decision to go nuclear first against Russia will have to be approved the US.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jayceenik said:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/liz-truss-ready-to-press-nuclear-button-tory-leadership-race_uk_6305d5e4e4b00c150d662c87

https://tass.com/politics/1497439

I very well understand the geostrategic and economic motivations of the US to wage a proxy war war against Russia in the Ukraine. That the EU vassal states follow diligently their American Leader to WWIII is clear to me too. But, though I've learned a lot about that conflict I totally fail to see what would be the profit for a Brexit UK to go nuclear against Russia, Unless the UK is truly well more vassal to the US than I thought. Because, of course the UK decision to go nuclear first against Russia will have to be approved the US.

What leader of a nuclear power is going to deny they'd ever use them? The only idiot stupid enough to do so would be Kim Wrong'un, leader of the prison colony formerly known as North Korea.

Maybe the US does have a plan. Weaken Russia to the point of capitulation? How long will that take, and cause how much damage to the global economy, and Europe?

Edited by bradiston