Nigerian man in Phuket confirmed as Thailand’s first official case of monkey pox

snoop1130

10 hours ago, geisha said:

You’d better read Thai TBS and phuket news then, I’m not in the habit of scandal mongering. There is also a photo of him in the latter . 

Looking at the Phuket News reports, they do seem pretty definitive. Which makes it all the more puzzling that the OP here (and the Pattaya News article it was based on) were reporting him as being recently arrived.

I stand corrected.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:10 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Probably not, because (unless all the official reports are wrong) he only recently arrived from Nigeria.

Just to correct myself, and for the avoidance of doubt, a number of articles in the Phuket News and Thai PBS World seem to establish fairly categorically that he has actually been in the country since last October.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:01 AM, Fairynuff said:
On 7/22/2022 at 7:33 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I sure hope he hasn't infected the poor working girls. 

But not the better off ones?

Ha, ha

I only socialize with the poor working girls, the better off ones don't come near me. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:21 AM, jts-khorat said:

The current panic about it in western countries aside: this rather harmless sickness has been endemic in a number of African countries for many years now, so getting a case from this source is not surprising.

While there is no specific treatment besides some antivirals, it usually subsides by itself within 2-4 weeks.

My guess would be, that similar imports have happened many times in the past, just never recognized, because nobody looked specifically for it.

The whole thing is of course just a media circus.

You have to get people terrified how else can you wield control over them easily?

• Like 1