How many breakers do I need in a new kitchen

jack71

We are about to build a new kitchen. I have purchased new oven, dishwasher and electric cooker. 

Do they all need separate breakers? Or can they be all connected to 1 breaker? If its all within reach, can all 3 devices be plugged into the same power plug (same wire line) to the breaker. Or should it be separated?

thanks

What are the amps and number of phases/poles for the major devices ?

Ovens in the US are typically hard wired ( no plug) , 2 120v phases, and require a separate breaker. 
Good idea to put microwave on dedicated circuit, 20 amp (US) as you don’t want to have two high current users on same circuit and trip the breaker repeatedly leading to a weak breaker over time. Dishwasher may pull 10-15 amps and is another candidate for a dedicated circuit.

Other than that, i think our rule of thumb was no more than 6 plugs per breaker for typical low-moderate current plug in devices. Any plug within 6ft of water had to be gfci.. 

that being said, code may have changed and you should do some research in the local electric codes. 

• Like 1

A 30 amp breaker can handle 6900 watts, so good luck tripping that.

Use 2 X 20amp or 30amp if you think you need.  Not many appliance pull more than 2000w.

I don't think we have anything that pulls more.  Induction at 2000w, everything is less, 1800,  1600, 1200 to <1000.   All should be noted on your appliances.   Most frigs pull < 1000, and more like 500-700w.

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

I have purchased new oven, dishwasher and electric cooker

Have a look on the back of each to get the Wattage.

Eg. Microwave 700-1500, Cooker 5000, dishwasher 2000 (if it has a heater) 

Add them all up and divide by 220. That is the size (amperage) of the breaker you need. Most domestic systems have max. 32A,  common is 20A.

For the kitchen where there is water get a RCG/GFI/GFCI breaker. They also come up to 32A. 

Need a panel? Safe-T-Cut make them. along with many others.

Our house is old so we have individual GFI breakers for each water heater. As an example. 

Edited by VocalNeal

My recommendation, primarily for servicability, is to have all fixed appliances on dedicated circuits, and a separate circuit for the countertops... two if you are feeling wild and crazy.  You don't need it for the loads, but it makes things like repairs (or energy metering if you so desire) that much easier.

I would do this:-

• Electric hob/cooktop - own circuit (size according to the instructions).
  • Built-in oven - own circuit or put it on the circuit with the hob if you have one
  • Water heater - own circuit
  • A/C - own circuit

Then at least two outlet circuits for your portable appliances plus one for your fridge / freezer. The freezer circuit should be separate from your RCD/RCBO protection so if you get a trip whilst away you don't return to a non-frozen freezer.

Outlet circuits should be in 2.5mm2 cable on 20A breakers, radial circuits only, no UK style ring-finals please.

You can never have too many outlets! There is no limit to how many outlets per circuit so long as your total load doesn't go over 20A.