Shell V Power Diesel B7 vs PTT UltraForce Diesel B7, which gives better mileage?

xtr3mx7

Hi guys,

I've always been using the Shell V Power Diesel B7 (as per recommendation of German Auto to use Premium Diesel) in my F34 and was happy with the mileage with a full tank as it could go beyond 1k km (a trip from Nonthaburi to Songkhla and I was still having a quarter tank left). However, in the recent months, a full tank goes much less (around 750-800 km) for same trip.

I wondered why and I started to test with 600 baht top up to see how long it can last for the past few months. I found out that the car could barely make 230-250km on 600baht now. I always keep my speed less than 80km/h at 1300-1500 rpm so that the car takes less fuel. I keep wondering why the sudden change as I'm following the same service intervals as per recommendation by the dealership.

With that being said, I wanted to know what are the differences between the Shell V Power Diesel B7 and the PTT UltraForce Diesel B7.

Are there any differences and can I swap to PTT UltraForce Diesel B7? Would it give better mileage?

Thanks in advance for your answers/recommendations/help.

11 hours ago, xtr3mx7 said:

With that being said, I wanted to know what are the differences between the Shell V Power Diesel B7 and the PTT UltraForce Diesel B7.

Use what the manufacturers manual says not the planks in dealerships.

My truck can use B20, B10, & B7 whatever fuel garage the difference in kilometres travelling was minimal it only difference shown would be in the way I drove at the time or temperature of the time of year. 

Anything else in all in your head IMHO.

• Like 1

I have always used premium Diesel. But the other month I changed to B7 as that's what premium is, with they say additives??? I get 28+ LT of B7 for my 1000bht I normally put in, against less than 22 I get with premium. Enough to give me 100+ Km more for the same monies. Right have I found any difference in Power, less KPL well No. According to the comp: in my lump it's returning the same if anything a bit better. If your worried about KPL and cost, put B7 in you shouldn't have any problems. It's a diesel for buddha sake they will run on cooking oil.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

B7 indicates that the fuel contains 7% biodiesel.

Another parameter is the fuels CIN ('Cetane number').  A higher Cetane number indicates a greater propensity to autoignite.  Its the opposite of 'Octane number' for petrol.  Most cars require a CIN between 45-55.  In most countries fuel must have a minimum CIN of 50 or thereabouts.  Fuel suppliers tend not to put CIN on the pumps - its possible the different fuels you are using have different CIN and this will result in slightly different power and economy. Higher CIN gives more power.

• Like 2

I would have thought that a bmw diesel vehicle should run on Euro5 compliant diesel. In Thailand, that is only PTT premium and Bangchak (leaf). I usually use only PTT premium in my crv, but occasionally use regular B7. Never used shell as its more expensive. 

33 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I would have thought that a bmw diesel vehicle should run on Euro5 compliant diesel. In Thailand, that is only PTT premium and Bangchak (leaf). I usually use only PTT premium in my crv, but occasionally use regular B7. Never used shell as its more expensive. 

Well PTT is Thai Shell is not.

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

Main difference between Euro 4 and Euro 5 Diesel is that 4 is 50ppm sulphur and 5 is 10ppm sulphur.  That leads to a minor difference in DPF loading. Both standards allow for 7% FAME. Should not lead to noticeable change in fuel consumption.

Problem in Thailand you can't always be sure what you are getting.

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Hqave you got a link to show that PTT premium is NOT Euro 5? Because most of the links I can provide show that it is. 

I nearly always use PTT fuel stations because they have 7-11 and I have no interest in fuel except for my motorbike also I don't care what it is for diesel engines all I do is by the cheapest whether it's B20 B10 or B7 because I can. 

Edited by Kwasaki

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I nearly always use PTT fuel stations because they have 7-11 and I have no interest in fuel except for my motorbike also I don't care what it is for diesel engines all I do is by the cheapest whether it's B20 B10 or B7 because I can. 

So your answer to the mans question is No - lol.

I used to put in V-Power all the time, but when it reached 53 THB per liter my wife started complaining and now we put in B7 and on the next fuel stop V-Power.

Don't notice any major difference in mileage on a full tank!

25 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

So your answer to the mans question is No - lol.

Just because you believe what your told don't worry about what my answer is. 

Edited by Kwasaki

15 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I used to put in V-Power all the time, but when it reached 53 THB per liter my wife started complaining and now we put in B7 and on the next fuel stop V-Power.

Don't notice any major difference in mileage on a full tank!

You won't.  ????

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You won't.  ????

I agree. We are doing this already for several weeks, 1 tank B7 next one V-Power. The only difference is the amount we are paying at the pump for the same amount of petrol.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1