Let the train take the strain instead of flying out of Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The 1,233-mile journey to Singapore takes 48 hours using regular Thai and Malaysian train services, and costs around $80

CHOO CHOO ????

Sounds like a family friendly way to travel. 

I like trains better than buses or planes because I can stretch and walk around easier.

I assumed that Singapore is naughty because their airport code is "SIN", but there's things to do there for families with kids...

https://www.timeout.com/singapore/kids/the-best-things-to-do-for-kids-in-singapore

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Travel with the original train from 1850 that stops at every 500 meter to make a journey from Bangkok to Surat Thani in 1 day.....(own experience)....High speed line not finished and new trains are scheduld  for 2050.

Last time I travelled on the Southern line the train was late around 4 hours...to the point that I had to find a hotel willing to check me in after 12 am. It is what it is and it did the job but among the best in the world....lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Archie Baker said:

My journey to Surat Thani from Hua Hin in overnight executive class was not an experience I would repeat again. I skipped my return and flew to Bangkok and took a taxi back to hua Hin.  

Why what was the problem with the overnight train?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Really! If this is true I have learned something new. Maybe a resident train spotter on the forum can confirm this very bold statement.

I was under the impression from the few times I used the trains in Thailand that they often broke down, were late and substandard.

Not forgetting the common derailments

• Like 1

It's a shame Rail in Thailand has taken so long to get ...not much better.  Bangkok to Chumphon should be less than 3 hours by train, Surat Thani 4 hours.  Instead it takes about 3x that time.  Also a shame they don't have a passenger/auto train where you can load your car for the trip-- I can dream.

• Like 2

Chiang Mai to Bangkok is a ridiculous 18 hours unless it breaks down. 

Similar to the Rajastan 'Express' in India which takes 18-24 hours from Delhi to Mumbai.

Just fly ✈ 

• Thanks 1

Have used the overnight trains to Khon Kaen, and Butterworth, Penang, from here many moons ago.

Was quite relaxing as I recall, apart from being shaken awake several times as we traversed over points. Copious amounts of draft Singha (available at that time) certainly helped, though.

• Like 1

the last upgrade was donation of some 50 years old locomotives from Japan.

Previous to that, yet before pandemic, were chinese sleepers on chiang mai and nong kai route.

train to vientianne is to a terminal some 13km before town, just across border. So you still need change to songtow. https://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm

to phnom penh one weekly train was suspended at the beginning of covid. I don't think it's reinstated.

thailand has only some 5 railway lines (with some of them  branching). There is only some several thousand km of rail track.

but why not use buses, often direct to destination.

as to flying - prices to singapore will have to fall when there would be more airlines, and the budget one, competing for passengers. There use to be for some 2k one way airfare, sometimes at half price on sale

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, internationalism said:

the last upgrade was donation of some 50 years old locomotives from Japan.

Previous to that, yet before pandemic, were chinese sleepers on chiang mai and nong kai route.

train to vientianne is to a terminal some 13km before town, just across border. So you still need change to songtow. https://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm

to phnom penh one weekly train was suspended at the beginning of covid. I don't think it's reinstated.

thailand has only some 5 railway lines (with some of them  branching). There is only some several thousand km of rail track.

but why not use buses, often direct to destination.

as to flying - prices to singapore will have to fall when there would be more airlines, and the budget one, competing for passengers. There use to be for some 2k one way airfare, sometimes at half price on sale

I once flew to Singapore from Thailand for 3,000 baht return that’s when I was getting 55 baht to the  £.  I flew from Krabi outwards and flew back to Bangkok on my return those were the days I doubt they will ever return not for me anyway as I’m getting on in life 

Not in need of visa runs myself but I can vouch for the ease and pleasantness of first class train to Chiang Mai or to KL, Malaysia. Planning a rail journey to KL then up to Genting Highlands not too far down the track for a week or so of relaxation and golf. Genteel way to travel with very little stress, enjoying delicious Malay cha or cold beers in the open dining car on the KL train while the kampongs pass by is wonderful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

Have used the overnight trains to Khon Kaen, and Butterworth, Penang, from here many moons ago.

Was quite relaxing as I recall, apart from being shaken awake several times as we traversed over points. Copious amounts of draft Singha (available at that time) certainly helped, though.

"Copious amounts of draft Singha (available at that time) certainly helped, though."

Not any more though due to a "knee jerk reaction" to an unforgivable act by one of its employees - see my previous post - 2 above this one!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

Last train journey here was torture, an 'express' which took over 12 hours from Ubon. Stopped at almost every station for vendors to get on selling water and food on a stick, window jammed wide open and doors dangerously tied back. Last carriage with the back a gapping connection space with just a bit or string across it. Never again.

• Like 2