Let the train take the strain instead of flying out of Thailand

webfact

If you're going to go by train you have to be up for the adventure.  If you want prompt transit services then fly. 

What I didn't need was a nasty steward (or whatever you call the guy who brings food) on a trip from Hat Yai to Bkk, wouldn't let me into the car where they sold the food, a downright nasty little sheet.  Wouldn't buy anything from him.

But I enjoyed the trip otherwise. 

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Really! If this is true I have learned something new. Maybe a resident train spotter on the forum can confirm this very bold statement.

I was under the impression from the few times I used the trains in Thailand that they often broke down, were late and substandard.

And known to fall off the tracks!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pomchop said:

drunk falangs babbling on and on, 

I don't think a lot falangs are using the ancient railways.... and cellphones.. All Thais are addicted to it and they don't need it as when they talk it seesm they have to shout so that they can hear it at the other end of the train

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Archie Baker said:

My journey to Surat Thani from Hua Hin in overnight executive class was not an experience I would repeat again. I skipped my return and flew to Bangkok and took a taxi back to hua Hin.  

I did the same only from Bangkok when we were headed for Samui. I binned the tickets and flew back and we were in one of the cabins featured in the article.

Never again I promised myself.

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I don't think a lot falangs are using the ancient railways.... and cellphones.. All Thais are addicted to it and they don't need it as when they talk it seesm they have to shout so that they can hear it at the other end of the train

Trying living in Isaarn if you think train travellers shout!

1. Air con can be so frigid that I've had to move out of my second class seat and sit in third class.

2. Food and water services are hit or miss (plus I read now no alcohol).

3. I've had windows covered in adverts and could hardly see the countryside.

4. Hit or miss to find a western style toilet available.

2 hours ago, QPRFC said:

Chiang Mai to Bangkok is a ridiculous 18 hours unless it breaks down. 

Similar to the Rajastan 'Express' in India which takes 18-24 hours from Delhi to Mumbai.

Just fly ✈ 

Way before Covid... I did BKK to Chiang Mai...  Overnight sleeping berth... ac car...  squat hole in the floor for a toilet...  prepackaged bkfasts in the kitchen car...

The thing is, they have to change the rail gauges somewhere along the way... and what was supposed to be simple, took hours... (aka sun up, before we were on our way again)...  Banging all night while they were making repairs... Impossible to sleep...

Will say, glad to have experienced Thai railways at their peak efficiency... ;P...  Never again...  Flew back to BKK...

... cant wait for their engineless Chinese highspeed trains...  Probably be waiting forever...

Edited by Saddic

5 minutes ago, Saddic said:

Way before Covid... I did BKK to Chiang Mai...  Overnight sleeping berth... ac car...  squat hole in the floor for a toilet...  prepackaged bkfasts in the kitchen car...

The thing is, they have to change the rail gauges somewhere along the way... and what was supposed to be simple, took hours... (aka sun up, before we were on our way again)...  Banging all night while they were making repairs... Impossible to sleep...

Will say, glad to have experienced Thai railways at their peak efficiency... ;P...  Never again...  Flew back to BKK...

... cant wait for their engineless Chinese highspeed trains...  Probably be waiting forever...

Should of splashed the cash and got the newer train.cant hear a thing on them,wouldn't even know that  they there moving.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The train is the best way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and train+ferry or train+bus is the best way from Bangkok to Ko Samui, Phuket , or Krabi. 

Had a friend do that last month, they said never again.

Long train journey going south and a long wait for the boat crossing.

Returned via bus and the driver was a lunatic.

5 hours ago, gearbox said:

"Michael Bridge" clearly hasn't travelled on the Thai trains and has no idea what he is talking about.

Oh him again ? He wrote an ill informed financial article here showing his complete economic illiteracy for which he rightly received excoriating criticism 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

You can now also travel internationally from............... Bangkok-Cambodia

Currently, there is no passenger service from Poi-Pet to Phnom Penh, only a freight service. Passenger trains from Bangkok terminate at Aranyaprahtet in Thailand. Passenger trains on this line from Phnom Penh currently terminate at Battambang so you would have to make your own arrangements to travel from Poi-Pet to Battambang (about 3 hours by taxi) having negotiated both Thai and Cambodian Immigration Offices.

You guys haven't lived until you've taken the Rocket Paddle Steamer in Bangladesh.

US$5 gets you a first class cabin.

On the subject of trains Bangladesh banned travel on the roof of trains recently. What a spoiler

First time i went coach from Bangkok to Surat Thani let me tell that was a real adventure,the toilet was a hole in the floor hilarious,no AC and then at night it got bloody cold,i used my beach towel for a blanket.An unforgettable experience.

5 hours ago, Canuckluck said:

First time i went coach from Bangkok to Surat Thani let me tell that was a real adventure,the toilet was a hole in the floor hilarious,no AC and then at night it got bloody cold,i used my beach towel for a blanket.An unforgettable experience.

I went from Bkk to Hatyai. The train was parked in a siding overnight and we were eight hours late arriving. 

I often traveled by train in the 80’s and 90’s, often between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and a couple of times between Bangkok and Singapore, and I absolutely loved it. Trains also still ran pretty much on schedule back then. 

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I've used both the "normal" railway & the Eastern & Orient Express, from Singapore to Bangkok, like chalk & cheese, I wish I could afford to E & O Express more often ????????????

I saw that train once at a crossing near Hualumpong, looked quite impressive.  I looked it up and the cost was ridiculous.