Creaking front suspension (not in the wet)

An older car of ours (around 12 years old) has gotten very creaky up at the front lately, when going over little bumps, and it evens seems to happen when turning. 

We had new suspension forks/wishbones put in around 2 years ago (11,000THB IIRC) 

When the road is wet or it's raining, the creaking noise isn't there, which indicates it is external. Perhaps some grease is needed somewhere on the suspension/steering assembly? 

I don't trust mechanics all that much. 

Any ideas about what could be the cause?

TIA. 

Maybe it are those rubber rings for the suspension forks, for mechanics its easy, just go to look together with them and request to keep the old parts that are replaced, in the box of the new parts.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

If it is a creaking and not a knocking try to isolate the side. Then, spray 1 bush at at time with a silicone spray and take it for a drive. See if the noise has stopped. If not spray another bush and repeat as above. 

However, if you are able it would be best to jack up the car and shake the wheel to make sure it is nothing more serious that a dry bush. Take A trip to any of the chain stores like Cockpit or Be Quick if you are not able to do this yourself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Perhaps some grease is needed somewhere on the suspension/steering assembly? 

Probably that's what it is go to a Cockpit or B. Quik if you cannot do it yourself. 

• Like 1

Classic rubber joint problem, in the wet the water acts as a lubricant, when it dry's, the noise is back...

As has been stated above, take to B-Quik or Cockpit, get them to test it and tell you what it is, even if they can't fix it you will know the score.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

These guys?

I could just show them the photo and get them to replace the front ones. 

Don't think it is those, they are mechanical ball joints with rubber boots.

Some suspension is quite complicated, many rubber bushes and joints. It needs an examination.

Just take it to be checked, point to your ear and make a squeak noise and point to the suspension wiv the other hand....????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

see the black round things on top and bottom wishbones, they are rubber bushes that can squeak

Thanks. 

It's more of a creaking sound, like an old door creaking, rather than a squeak from something rubber. 

47 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks. 

It's more of a creaking sound, like an old door creaking, rather than a squeak from something rubber. 

If a bush is bound up, hardened, it can do that, an inspection will reveal all, I hope....????

But, a ball joint that has rusted out, can also do that, where water becomes a lubricant to quieten it, inspection is the key here... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks. 

Trans is right I use to grease em my self but when I had squeakies creakies call me what y'all like on my Vigo I took it to Cockpit and no more squeakies or creakies. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Trans is right I use to grease em my self but when I had squeakies creakies call me what y'all like on my Vigo I took it to Cockpit and no more squeakies or creakies. ????

Great, thanks. I didn't know they needed grease. 

24 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Great, thanks. I didn't know they needed grease. 

Well again its a maybe question as in maybe Trans would back me up on because until somebody actually inspects all y'all joints shown in his picture some maybe sealed joints with faulty rubbers or there maybe gear nipples on them. 

If you bring to Muang Kao I'll look at it for you. ????????????

Get it to a B.Quik or a Cockpit outlets is what I recommend for usually an honest check out.

• Like 1

Nine times out of ten a complaint of creaking when going over bumps at low speed, which goes away in wet weather, is down to anti-roll bar bushes. The creaking is due to relative motion between the rubber and the anti-roll bar. Normally when they are a few years old and harden a little.  A little rubber grease or silicone grease will quieten them down. Do not use motor oil or oil-based greases because these might damage the rubber.

Wishbone bushes, control arm bushes are normally coaxial bonded metal/rubber bushes and they do not creak or squeak unless the bush is breaking up. In which case you have to replace it.

Ball joints can creak if water has entered and they have become badly corroded. Again, they must be replaced.

Localising a creaking noise by ear can be difficult because the noise 'telegraphs' along components. The way I do it is rest my hand on the suspect part and get someone to bounce the vehicle, then you will feel the vibration (creaking) under your hand.

In the case of the  OP I would suggest a shot of lubricant on the ARB bushes will get rid of the noise.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Maybe it are those rubber rings for the suspension forks

On 7/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, stubuzz said:

Take A trip to any of the chain stores like Cockpit or Be Quick if you are not able to do this yourself.

On 7/25/2022 at 4:36 PM, Kwasaki said:

Probably that's what it is go to a Cockpit or B. Quik if you cannot do it yourself. 

On 7/25/2022 at 4:41 PM, transam said:

Classic rubber joint problem

On 7/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, Kwasaki said:

Trans is right I use to grease em my self but when I had squeakies creakies call me what y'all like on my Vigo I took it to Cockpit and no more squeakies or creakies.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:56 PM, HauptmannUK said:

Nine times out of ten a complaint of creaking when going over bumps at low speed, which goes away in wet weather, is down to anti-roll bar bushes.

Thanks. Today was interesting. My wife went to an Auto Clik this morning and I sent her the images to show them what we want done.

spacer.png

She called saying they didn't understand (WTH ???? ) and were test driving it.

10 minutes later she said I need to go there because it has big problems.

I arrived and was presented with an invoice for 34,000THB.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

They said the 4 whole suspension units needed to be replaced because they're too old.

spacer.png

Front

And back

spacer.png

And that it needed new back brakes.

spacer.png

My wife had signed the invoice before I arrived (there were a gang of around 6 of them telling her what to do and what needed to be done), so they were a bit surprised when I said thank you very much and we'll come back in a few days.

They said the rear brakes really needed to be done, which I agreed with so 5,000THB for that.

My wife got a phone call when they finished, and she said 'The brakes are finished, and they said they put sonax on the other parts so it will be quiet now'.

Yes I said, that's what I wanted in the first place. 

Edited by JeffersLos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If you would upload your pictures here on Aseannow instead of to an external website then it would be possible to see what is written there.

I'm not too worried about that.

I'm just checking on people's opinions of how the suspension looks, as to whether it looks like it needs to be fully replaced or not. ????

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by JeffersLos

The shocks do not appear to be leaking. The rubber dust boots are ripped bit this is not a really a problem. 30k is way over the top as they have quoted to replace every item on the shock, and 5k for back brakes is also OTT.

What car is it?

Edited by stubuzz
  • Thanks 1

Used to be an Alfa Romeo GTA nut (147 and 156). Made the mistake of replacing wishbones with non OEM parts. Creaking, knocking, banging were always a problem within a couple of years and often sooner.

Suspension parts are now an item where I'll always insist on OEM parts regardless of who's doing the work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, degrub said:

How many km on the struts and shocks ?

Around 150,000KM.

32 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

The shocks do not appear to be leaking. The rubber dust boots are ripped bit this is not a really a problem.

That was my initial thought.

Now that they have 'put sonax on them' (which is what I wanted in the first place) the squeaking and creaking has stopped.

I suspect it was more of a money making claim for their business than what was really needed.

I would however like to have them cleaned up and serviced with new rubber parts etc. 

Edited by JeffersLos

Just now, JeffersLos said:

Around 150,000KM.

That was my initial thought.

Now that they have 'put sonax on them' the squeaking and creaking has stopped.

I suspect it was more of a money making claim for their business than what was really needed.

I would however like to have them cleaned up and serviced with new rubber parts etc. 

Shock absorbers do have a life span, they never stop working...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Shock absorbers do have a life span, they never stop working...

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

At this mileage they are due for replacement as you will notice a much smoother ride with new units. However, i would get a second quote as 30k is OTT.

Excuse me, the front two shock absorbers were replaced 2 years (around 20,000KM) ago. 

20 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Excuse me, the front two shock absorbers were replaced 2 years (around 20,000KM) ago. 

Then they should not be a problem...????

It seems this garage is probably taking the p_ss....

Besides, I do not recall shox squeaking......????

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks. Today was interesting. My wife went to an Auto Clik this morning and I sent her the images to show them what we want done.

spacer.png

She called saying they didn't understand (WTH ???? ) and were test driving it.

10 minutes later she said I need to go there because it has big problems.

I arrived and was presented with an invoice for 34,000THB.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

They said the 4 whole suspension units needed to be replaced because they're too old.

spacer.png

Front

And back

spacer.png

And that it needed new back brakes.

spacer.png

My wife had signed the invoice before I arrived (there were a gang of around 6 of them telling her what to do and what needed to be done), so they were a bit surprised when I said thank you very much and we'll come back in a few days.

They said the rear brakes really needed to be done, which I agreed with so 5,000THB for that.

My wife got a phone call when they finished, and she said 'The brakes are finished, and they said they put sonax on the other parts so it will be quiet now'.

Yes I said, that's what I wanted in the first place. 

5000 for back brake shoes sounds expensive to me, don't take it there anymore.

• Like 1

Reading through that quotation it looks like they propose replacing almost the entire suspension.

It is not really possible to tell the condition of shock absorbers from a photo (unless they have a major leak or are rusted out). Its quite possible the rears are shot out at 150k km.  Replacing them would probably improve the ride and handling quite significantly.

The front shocks look like aftermarket KYB Exel-G's.  If so then with only 20k km on them they should have plenty of life left.

Other bushes and balljoints should be inspected and replaced on merit.

฿5000 is pricey for back shoes. The axle set of shoes likely cost in the region 1000-1800 - the rest would be labour.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

Reading through that quotation it looks like they propose replacing almost the entire suspension.

It is not really possible to tell the condition of shock absorbers from a photo (unless they have a major leak or are rusted out). Its quite possible the rears are shot out at 150k km.  Replacing them would probably improve the ride and handling quite significantly.

The front shocks look like aftermarket KYB Exel-G's.  If so then with only 20k km on them they should have plenty of life left.

Other bushes and balljoints should be inspected and replaced on merit.

฿5000 is pricey for back shoes. The axle set of shoes likely cost in the region 1000-1800 - the rest would be labour.

Hi. Thanks. 

Yes, other services were involved.

spacer.png

That's really no issue. ????

An issue would be spending 30,000THB on new suspension units if a dab of grease on whatever and few new pieces of rubber would be all that's needed. ????