Are Visa runs possible as they once were

I'm confused as hell about which visa the OP has.  Isn't an METV good for 60 days per entry with the option to extend by 30 days inside the country?  That would give 90 days per entry. Leave Thailand and repeat, which covers the 6 months.  The same could be done with a tourist visa if a second one can be obtained in a neighbouring country.  Both visas would only require one border run per year, a very simple matter. 

Edit to add:  My understanding of "visa runs" is quite dated.  I was thinking of the olden days, when  low income punters, shoe horned into minivans, departed  in the wee hours of the morning every fortnight and returned later that evening to resume their debauchery 555.

Edited by Bobthegimp
Addition
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ecaps said:

Sorry for Hijacking this tread but where to go for "Visa Run" from Phuket?

Satun or Songkhla to Malaysia.

As far as I know the crossings to Myanmar from Ranong are not open yet for border hops.

• 1 month later...

Just got my Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. (METR). Fingers crossed there will be an open border crossing in the North of Thailand in mid December and mid Feb. 2023. At this time looks like Chiang Kong bridge border crossing might work.

Will report updates later. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2022 at 2:36 PM, ChristianBlessing said:

I'm wondering how you're certain that he's on an METV. Although he doesn't state so, he appears to be asking about obtaining a new visa exempt or permission to stay. Additionally the METV isn't exactly cheap. As to your question, I just completed my 2nd exit/reentry. Nothing easier. First was to Malaysia, second to Vietnam, with no complications. Just make sure to scrutinize your stamp to make sure the next expiry is 60 days.

Curious how you did your Malaysia bounce.  They require an active Thailand Visa my expiry date Jan 9th.  How long did you stay in Malaysia? I would like to arrive on Jan 8th and depart the same day or am i required to stay 1 day or 24 hours? can you color in your bounce for us/me? I also have METV

Edited by TimLMT

On 7/25/2022 at 8:20 PM, problemfarang said:

well.. if you are a common visitor, why dont you try to get the proper visa instead of visa runs? why abusing the system? So people doing things here to the book needs to do more things because of these kind of things you are trying to do?

I’ll translate this post 

“I don’t know”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2022 at 8:02 AM, Haveasay said:

I posted recently about my border run to Laos, which took an hour that day. I spoke to an agent on arrival who informed me from Pattaya, no mini van visa runs, ATM. Then arranged flights, as dislike long bus trips, to Udon, with a few nights stay, in the event of a forced night in Vientiane. I got strange responses about, over and back, but kept moving, window to window. Luckily had buses leaving both checkpoints. No waiting. 25 baht over, 35 baht back. Good luck whatever you do.

@Haveasaythat is exactly what i would like to do, could you post a link to your previous post?

Has Cambodia Inter Tour SoiBuaKhao in Pattaya started border runs again?

Also,

I've seen London and Washington have similar requirements for Visas. But Canberra Australia are still listing COVID insurance requirement for 90 day visa. Are any Aussies getting multiple 90 day without need for Insurance?

Cheers all and peace to all good beings.

Wow. Update from being here. Cambodians still need to do border runs, though yearly now I believe, and I observed people at my soi hotel looking like that was happening and not the odd non Thai, which sparked my notice. I'll check today at previous places I've used, but remember after initial current 45 days, immigration for 1900 do another 30 and in one year can only do 3 border hops. I booked AA to Udon with overnight, or I took 3 nights as wasn't sure if needed overnight in Laos, but not needed. If you're flight arrives in Udon between about 10 am and 2 pm there's seems to be a cheap bus to Udon from airport, or team up with others and share taxi, if possible, or your up for 200 baht fare. I used a train for 11 baht, which leaves for Nong at 7 am. Get there beforehand and take a mask. You'll need a tok tok from train station to border, but it's a walkable distance, but check your GPS. Buses leave border for about 30 baht both ways. Near Thai border on return are minibuses to Udon, bear 7/11 on your immediate left, for maybe 200 baht. Then recover back in Udon until going to airport for return flight. Minibuses leave Pattaya for Don Muang for 180 baht, on the left of Pattaya Klang, after Foodland and 7/11 opposite a easy visa place. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Haveasay said:

Wow. Update from being here. Cambodians still need to do border runs, though yearly now I believe, and I observed people at my soi hotel looking like that was happening and not the odd non Thai, which sparked my notice. I'll check today at previous places I've used, but remember after initial current 45 days, immigration for 1900 do another 30 and in one year can only do 3 border hops. I booked AA to Udon with overnight, or I took 3 nights as wasn't sure if needed overnight in Laos, but not needed. If you're flight arrives in Udon between about 10 am and 2 pm there's seems to be a cheap bus to Udon from airport, or team up with others and share taxi, if possible, or your up for 200 baht fare. I used a train for 11 baht, which leaves for Nong at 7 am. Get there beforehand and take a mask. You'll need a tok tok from train station to border, but it's a walkable distance, but check your GPS. Buses leave border for about 30 baht both ways. Near Thai border on return are minibuses to Udon, bear 7/11 on your immediate left, for maybe 200 baht. Then recover back in Udon until going to airport for return flight. Minibuses leave Pattaya for Don Muang for 180 baht, on the left of Pattaya Klang, after Foodland and 7/11 opposite a easy visa place. 

Two land border entries in any calendar year is the usual limit.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Feb. 8, 2023 update.

Scroll back to my Dec 18, 2022 post for the detailed visa run/border bounce.

Yesterday, Feb. 8th, 2023 I had three days left on my 2nd 60-day METR. Went to Chiang Khong again but this time things went a bit different at the Laos Visa on Arrival window. When asked how long I plan to stay, I said' 'Go back to Thailand today''.

The good; No need to fill out the two-page application or submit a photo. They seem to know the situation well by now with visa runs. 

The Bad; he said ''I give you stamp in, stamp out quickly, 1,800 B''. Would not take US $. He took my 2,000 B, pulled out his wallet, gave me 200 B change, put the 2,000 B in his wallet and put his wallet back in HIS pocket. I don't think Laos immigration actually got paid the standard set 1,500 B fee. Even if they did, the officer pocketed 300 B. just for doing his job. My feeling is he pocketed the entire 1,800 B. Grift!

One other good thing, I was able to buy Lao Dark beer at 30 B and bring back to Thailand. 

I hope I never have to go back there for any reason. 

No problem getting 60 more days in Thailand on my METR.

• Thanks 1