Is monkeypox vaccination available in Thailand? Is it needed? In the US very restrictive eligibility.

cdemundo

Why do you believe you would need a vaccine? One case so far in Thailand, and the way it transmit is limited to physical contact.

Some people recently diagnosed with sexually transmitted diseases may also have monkeypox, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said, warning physicians that they need to watch and test for both since monkeypox can look a lot like an STD.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/some-monkeypox-patients-also-have-sexually-transmitted-diseases-cdc-says.html

Not available at present in Thailand. And anywhere it is available, will restrict it to high risk groups. The disease is not spread by casual contact so no reason to vaccinate the general population at this time.

I believe the Thais are considering the possibility of using smallpox vaccine as they have some stocks of it but, if they do, this too would be limited to people at high risk.

• Like 1

Perhaps Thai government can start thinking of importing monkeypox vaccine. 

I do believe that monkeypox case will grow exponentially very soon. Monkeypox virus can live in towel, bed linen if hotel does not wash towels, bed linens, etc properly( hotel industry). Massage industry can be a "spreading event"  ( close contact).

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, topswijaya said:

I do believe that monkeypox case will grow exponentially very soon.

Beliefs are only relevant if grounded in inferences. 

Monkeypox has in past cases had an r-count of R0 (that is, each person infected, on average, spreads it to less than one person). There is little reason to expect more than some clusters, from which it will then fade away.

Of course, going from 1 infection to 10 people is, strictly speaking, "exponential", but I suspect by it you are suggesting some storm of infections, perhaps in the tens of thousand. That is highly unlikely. Relax.

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

Why do you believe you would need a vaccine? One case so far in Thailand, and the way it transmit is limited to physical contact.

Some people recently diagnosed with sexually transmitted diseases may also have monkeypox, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said, warning physicians that they need to watch and test for both since monkeypox can look a lot like an STD.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/some-monkeypox-patients-also-have-sexually-transmitted-diseases-cdc-says.html

I don't know about needing a vaccine, that's why I asked "Is it needed?".

I saw a video of someone who had it and had terrible sores on face, neck, chest - I definitely don't want that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

I don't know about needing a vaccine, that's why I asked "Is it needed?".

I saw a video of someone who had it and had terrible sores on face, neck, chest - I definitely don't want that.

Being in a healthy relationship can prevent many things also monkeypox ????

Definitely not needed at this time unless in a highrisk group.

Don't have sex or other close physical contact with anyone who has visible sores or in settings where you don't get a good look at your partner. The latter (orgy like gatherings with very dim lighting and often a lot of intoxicant use) has accounted for many, even most,  of the clusters in US and Europe.

• Like 2

If you're old enough, you probably had the smallpox vaccination as a kid - and I believe this would give you some protection ..... although you are also probably too old for unprotected sex with strangers.

And if you're younget and have unprotected sex with strangers who have boils and lesions, you are probably at greater risk of Herpes (or you're a zombie).

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Definitely not needed at this time unless in a highrisk group.

Don't have sex or other close physical contact with anyone who has visible sores or in settings where you don't get a good look at your partner. The latter (orgy like gatherings with very dim lighting and often a lot of intoxicant use) has accounted for many, even most,  of the clusters in US and Europe.

I'm safe, I never get invited to orgies.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

And if you're younget and have unprotected sex with strangers who have boils and lesions, you are probably at greater risk of Herpes (or you're a zombie).

And HIV. And Hepatitis.

Unprotected sex eith strangers is a thoroughly bad idea at any age.

But protection (i.e. condoms) while very important will not prevent monkey pox as any skin to skin contact with lesions can spread it.

Stick to partners you actually know or at leadt have had a thorough look at in good lighting.

Might also like to avoid crowded dance floors/mosh pit type settings.

• Like 2

a large part of monkeypox cases are people with compromised immune system - some 40% have HIV, some 30% syphilis, herpes or gonorrhoea. 

And as such they would have the strongest symptoms from monkeypox.

So antivirals (and antibiotics or any other medicines) given to them for their underlying conditions most likely don't work for monkeypox. 

However, there are some antivirals tried and vax can also be given after suspected exposure:

"The CDC recommends a smallpox or smallpox/monkeypox vaccination within 2 weeks of exposure, ideally within 4 days, for exposed health care workers and household contacts of confirmed cases. Antiviral agents (ie, tecovirimat, brincidofovir, cidofovir) are possible treatment options in severe, life-threatening cases".

if you have underlying conditions or risk group, do all other possible vax recommended for you. They will boost for sometimes your immune system, even if not directly related to monkeypox. Check with doctor for varicella, herpes zoster, MMR, Hepatitis AB, TTDP+polio, dengvaxia (that one if you lived in tropics over 9 years or had already dengue) . Do seasonal flu. Do also update vax for bacterial infections.

If thailand can't get already ordered monkeypox vax, they will import smallpox.

If you start doing you vaxes now, you have a better chance of getting smallpox in the future, as doctors would be aware of your needs and clinic will get in touch with you. You can ask them directly to put on their waiting list.

Within the last 18 months I had 13 vaxes (at cost over 16k baht) plus 4 covid ones. I won't get japanese encepha, but it was suggested to me by doctors in the travel clinic. They have refused me pneumococcal at the travel clinic, so I went to red cross and I got jubbed there under false statement that I am a smoker - that vax probably saved me from getting serious pneumonia this year (just only 4 nights hospitalisation) and possibly from getting only very mild omicron without any lung symptoms.

You have a much greater chance getting covid with complications (tens of people dying daily in Thailand since Delta) than monkeypox (practically non-existent)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1