how do you invest now when there is a gloomy inflation already started?

parafareno

i was thinking of buying a condo, then I am thinking well what if i will not like it...what if some neighbour will annoy me....etc....

how are you investing ?

I know I mde mistakes in the past not buying condos because the prices rose so much past few years but still I am afraid

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

is it even possible to rent a condo near the beach to somebody because tehre are so many condos everywhere? I am targeting 50 sq meter condo so you are not like a fish in a bowl with that small space....50-60 sq m is the sweet point from my experience

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ezzra said:

preferably with sea view at the right price and it will be a sound investment...

Investment is such an animal. One has to always find the right product at a right price. My philosophy is not to invest in Thailand even if you buy a property for residence only. If possible, get the loan from your home country at cheaper rate. Don't think about the property as an investment. Thailand houses/condos are not as liquid as American real property. You can't even get a loan using your property. If it's just for residence and you want to avoid the hassle of moving, go for it. 

2 minutes ago, parafareno said:

better yet where can you build a house with pool for under 2 million in Thailand? I would prefer safety and some land and away from neighbours more or less

Pretty much anywhere outside a metro area.  Size matters of course.

Although, if you have to ask, then you probably can't.

• Like 1

If you wanna buy a condo, I have an IDEO one to sell. I bought it off plan, so cheap. The price has risen by 400,000. I paid all the deposit but don't have the cash to buy it. So I am selling for 2.09 MB. It can be seen on YouTube at IDEO Ch Riverview 70

Screenshot_20220726_092603.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Wall99 said:

If you wanna buy a condo, I have an IDEO one to sell. I bought it off plan, so cheap. The price has risen by 400,000. I paid all the deposit but don't have the cash to buy it. So I am selling for 2.09 MB. It can be seen on YouTube at IDEO Ch Riverview 70

Screenshot_20220726_092603.jpg

probably a tiny tiny little condo where you cant stretch the middle guy

• Haha 1

Condo .. never. Many prison cell without bars.

Location ... Avoid tourist location because they'll drive u crazy ..

Noise .. check neighbours and traffic ..untimate, dogs locked up and going crazy. They're everywhere ...

Lifts ... implication if not working 

Stairs .. you're getting older 

Electric ... Check if standard unit costs 

Orientation ... Will u 'fry' during the day !!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Don't buy a condo as an investment. Everyone needs a place to live buy one if you enjoy playing owner and fixing it up as I did, go ahead. Be warned used condos have appreciated but can be very hard to sell. Don't invest more than than you can afford to walk away from. There is almost always a way to stay in Thailand if well funded but what happens when the eventual  regional war or intl crisis emerges? They have proved even PR can be locked out for months, for a virus. What is your back up plan?

• Like 2

Well of course there are two sorts of investors. Those that are greed driven ( suspect that is over 90% )   , and those that want safety and  anonymity perhaps.

The former accounts for stock market investors, Ponzi/crypto schemes and other such vehicles for giving you the rush that what you have today may be 10% more next year. Of course until it crashes/fraudsters do a runner etc etc in which case what you have today may be well worth next to nothing tomorrow. But that's greed for you. Live by the sword ,die by the sword.  The exception to that is property, but not in Thailand.  Land purchase is fine because it will always appreciate, as they are not making any more of it,  but of course that is for Thais only which is why I gave my wife the money to buy a significant area many years ago.  

Now for the latter for those that want safety and  anonymity, it has to be gold and diamonds. Gold does fluctuate but general it is a safe commodity easy to trade in Thailand. I invested in diamonds many years ago for two reasons as they are easily transportable should one have to move quickly due to political upheaval, natural disasters etc etc. Again easily tradable at diamond merchants worldwide, It does increase year on year, but only marginally, and best of all, they are undetectable by 99% of airport scanners ( so long as they are still loose diamonds in your hand baggage as the latest body scanners may if carried on your body) . Of course both of those investment options can be handed down to your kids later for their benefit and unlike the rest of the examples there is no documentary hassles hence the anonymity.

• Like 2

I remember 15% interest in 76 in Britain. It was great for people with  savings. The banks were paying 15%. Basically savers have been punished since about  2002. High Bank interest rates? Bring them on! Investing in these times? A decent P2P bank or a property  based P2P / fund like Property Partner. The most reliable P2P I'm in is Funding Circle- 6% net annually for the last 9 years.

But my best investments have been property. But I bought with cash not mortgage.

Edited by The Hammer2021

4 hours ago, warrima said:

According to Hipflat the price has dropped 23% since launch on that development. 26 m2 shoeboxes. 

My ensuite bathroom is bigger than that, do people actually live in something that tiny ?

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Glad I didn't follow that advice, or I would have spent 2.5 million baht over the years in rent, and that's being conservative, instead of make 2.5 million baht and living here rent free for 22 years.

Although, if never invested in RE before, TH might not be the place to try your luck.

5m divided by 22 is 200,000 baht a year

That money could have been invested in sgares

40 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

So, how many of these "better farang owners" end up abandoning condos?

Who knows (not you) or cares? In my experience, in a large building, none.

Little self-serving anecdotes prove nothing. One owner supposedly "bolted," but we'd need a legal deposition to know the exact reason, which may have been some trivial snowflake reason. Maybe needed to go get extra photocopies for Immigration. Some of our members find that request just absolutely devastating.

Or, maybe he didn't "bolt" at all but simply left for the free healthcare in Blighty or somesuch practical reason. Living in Thailand permanently does take due diligence. Some helpless farang fail to do that, having no agent who might have held their hands and done it for them--as one might expect in this population.

Owners in my building often rent out their units when they're away for extended periods, as they often are, using their condo for vacations.

Great thing about resorts. OP, buy a unit with a sea view in a resort.???? Only busy during high season. 

Yeah, more "bolting" would make for a quieter building. It's good that everyone has the freedom to rant and "bolt" whenever they choose. Our posters have a typical response to the departure announcement, too. If that leaves the unit(s) to be seized and sold by the JP and the proceeds used for building maintenance, then all to the good.

Now the supposed "multi-millionaire" wasn't an owner, and for all the supposed wealth and free rent couldn't afford the trivial expense of a long-term visa and instead put himself to a lot of bother. So he was basically, and rightly, kicked out by Immigration, assuming you didn't make it all up. (Yeah, we do that here.) Good on 'em. Irrelevant example.

• Like 1