how do you invest now when there is a gloomy inflation already started?

parafareno

On 7/26/2022 at 6:03 AM, parafareno said:

the prices rose so much past few years but still I am afraid

I have not much knowledge about this. But some research in Bangkok showed to me that the prices of existing condominiums didn't change much over the last years. Today a sqm cost the same as it cost 5 years ago - and probably a lot longer.

When I compare the price of existing units (maybe 20 years old) plus renovation from scratch to a very good standard that is still a lot cheaper than new buildings and units.

And additionally it seems new units have very small rooms. Like how can you squeeze 3 bedrooms in 60sqm? At least I wouldn't want to live in such a shoe box - even if it is brand new and supposed to be luxury.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But some research in Bangkok showed to me that the prices of existing condominiums didn't change much over the last years. Today a sqm cost the same as it cost 5 years ago - and probably a lot longer.

Our ace barstool Market Analysts--renters, coincidentally--have long predicted the Great Thai Real Estate Crash.

condoworry.png.c25a3d03e4099c8b59b7eaaabe1c2c6f.png

All the indicators of AN (TVF) Econometrics have LONG been flashing doom: the critical condo lights-on-at-night count, the red-plates-on-cars count, the lines-at-the-bank count, and the shopping bags count.

COVID was the last nail in the coffin and prices were confidently predicted to bottom out last year. Prospective buyers were advised to wait just a little longer--the CRASH was imminent.

condohold.jpg.9e0b4134501da40d92beb8d3f499be58.jpg

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lextsy said:

Maintenance just went up but is still reasonable at 43b per Sqm.

You really cannot hear much tbh, very quiet. It’s a 1990 built condo so probably done half decent

so for 55 sq meters it costs 28000 bht per year? That is very high

19 minutes ago, parafareno said:

High?  That's only 2,334 baht a month.  About $64.  Bargain in my book.   I was paying $500 a month condo fee for a 500 square foot (not meter) studio condo in Virginia 11 years ago.  Did include all the utilities and it was right on a lake but, still. . .   Love the very reasonable monthly maintenance fees here.  

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

Well it’s 100sqm so 43k baht. 
electric is 650b a month when I’m not there

water is nothing

internet is 700b a month

basically 60k a year. I did just spend 5 months there and hotels would have cost minimum 1500 a night for something half decent so you can do the math on savings over long term. 

If you think a 30k baht is a lot to maintain a residence for a year, you’d scream at the table and chairsI bought lol (33k for a 10cm thick slab of wood from CM plus 16k for chairs) 

As I said, I wouldn’t invest in any holiday destination including Pattaya, Gold Coast and anywhere else which isn’t a primary work location.  I’d never even rent it out even if I could get 20k a month, it’s purely a locked up holiday home how Pattaya should be. 

288C5E55-9430-441D-8079-24C54A5A871C.jpeg

Edited by lextsy
  • Like 1

I wouldn't invest in Thailand, invest elsewhere.  Condos take forever to resell and no one wants older projects except Westerners which have demographically been on the decline for years in Thailand. 

Keen investors will realize Asians and Indians want to buy NEW, they are not interested in old inventory.  Buying off-plan and reselling contracts closer to completion is the quickest way to profit, but this is high risk as many projects never get off the ground or fold after running into problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lextsy said:

water is nothing

internet is 700b a month

basically 60k a year. I did just spend 5 months there and hotels would have cost minimum 1500 a night for something half decent so you can do the math on savings over long term. 

If you think a 30k baht is a lot to maintain a residence for a year, you’d scream at the table and chairsI bought lol (33k for a 10cm thick slab of wood from CM plus 16k for chairs) 

As I said, I wouldn’t invest in any holiday destination including Pattaya, Gold Coast and anywhere else which isn’t a primary work location.  I’d never even rent it out even if I could get 20k a month, it’s purely a locked up holiday home how Pattaya should be. 

your condo is very nice....i am looking for 50 - 60 sq meter...max...but the fee is so expensive compared to other condos...and it is in fact old building.....is the pool full of people every day? and sauna? how far is to the beach with motorbike? I think pratumnak is very bad with those roads up the hilll many trucks etc....I think i prefer jomtien

4 hours ago, parafareno said:

your condo is very nice....i am looking for 50 - 60 sq meter...max...but the fee is so expensive compared to other condos...and it is in fact old building.....is the pool full of people every day? and sauna? how far is to the beach with motorbike? I think pratumnak is very bad with those roads up the hilll many trucks etc....I think i prefer jomtien

What we tend to like and dislike can often end up being opposite. You want a new condo with low facility costs, nice pool, nice sauna but not busy? Thats not how it works. 

While my condo was being renovated I stayed at Cosy Beach View. Yes a whole floor was dedicated to sky pool (which was closed the entire time due to glass being replaced), gym which was good and a hot and cold sauna but the condo was crammed, I was waiting for 5 minutes for the lift every time, the lift location was so <deleted> you have to walk around a corner for one lift and by the time you got there it had closed, the lifts were out often and the desk people were never to be found. 

I then stayed at Grand Avenue in a nice 2 bed 2 bath place. Scenery is beautiful but the condo takes 5 minutes to navigate to when you want to walk anywhere.

I like my condo because it’s super quiet. People who live there are there for a reason. Either long term expats or people who wanted a out fo the way condo. The pool is large and nice and has sun full all day but that’s as far as facilities go. The gym, sauna etc all may as well not exist but the security is excellent, the spaces are open and wide, the building is solid, the lifts are always available and the car park and entry foyer are very close and don’t take much time or effort to get to. 

It’s at the top of pratamnak hill and is walking distance to walking street ( where in Jomtien you need a bath bus) and with bolt now it’s only 34b to LK.

Apart from location and facilities, the view and size of the condos are cheaper per sqm than anywhere.  The only other condos I’d consider would be vt2 or vt6 but I consider Pattaya hill resort a hidden gem. 

Here is one I inspected, nice size, quiet, peaceful and not on the sunny side.

https://www.hipflat.com/listings/chonburi-condo-trovyilf

11 hours ago, lextsy said:

water is nothing

internet is 700b a month

Very reasonable condo fee--whether it's 55sqm or 100sqm.  Nice dining set!  

8 hours ago, parafareno said:

I think it's incorrect to say that '...the fee is so expensive compared to other condos...'.  43 baht is actually about average.  Most new condos have a fee of around 50 baht.   A more expensive fee might be what my partner and I paid at one of our condos--7,700 baht a month, 92,400 a year.  But, it was for a 3 bedroom/3 bath 124 sqm condo and it came with weekly maid service.  7,700 baht equals a condo fee of 62 baht.  Still a bargain and we were happy to pay it.  

Of course, there are condos with lower fees.  This usually equates to economies of scale.  The massive View Talay projects, with few amenities to maintain, have low fees.  Lumpini Park Beach Jomtien has 1800 units.  When we owned there the condo fee was 20 baht if I am remembering correctly.   So, you have 1800 owners paying for the guy at the front gate vs. the 245 owners at Pattaya Hill.  Or, the less than 40 owners at the place we owned with the 62 baht fee.   But, also 1800 potential pool and sauna users vs. 245.  Having lived at several massive projects, I prefer a smaller project with fewer units and fewer illegal daily renters.  If that means a higher condo fee, it is worth it to me.

The important thing for me is that the condo fee is sufficient to properly maintain the project--and my investment.  The last condo we owned had a condo fee of 45 baht--about average.  However, with less than 200 units it was not enough to maintain the condo to the standard the owners were accustomed to, which included a doorman, pool/gym attendant, parking garage staff, multiple staff at the front gate to assist with exiting, good front desk staff, etc.   So, there was a yearly special assessment to make up the difference.  This brought the fee to around 60 baht.  Again, a bargain in my book and happy to pay it.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, newnative said:

I think it's incorrect to say that '...the fee is so expensive compared to other condos...'.  43 baht is actually about average.  Most new condos have a fee of around 50 baht.   A more expensive fee might be what my partner and I paid at one of our condos--7,700 baht a month, 92,400 a year.  But, it was for a 3 bedroom/3 bath 124 sqm condo and it came with weekly maid service.  7,700 baht equals a condo fee of 62 baht.  Still a bargain and we were happy to pay it.  

Of course, there are condos with lower fees.  This usually equates to economies of scale.  The massive View Talay projects, with few amenities to maintain, have low fees.  Lumpini Park Beach Jomtien has 1800 units.  When we owned there the condo fee was 20 baht if I am remembering correctly.   So, you have 1800 owners paying for the guy at the front gate vs. the 245 owners at Pattaya Hill.  Or, the less than 40 owners at the place we owned with the 62 baht fee.   But, also 1800 potential pool and sauna users vs. 245.  Having lived at several massive projects, I prefer a smaller project with fewer units and fewer illegal daily renters.  If that means a higher condo fee, it is worth it to me.

The important thing for me is that the condo fee is sufficient to properly maintain the project--and my investment.  The last condo we owned had a condo fee of 45 baht--about average.  However, with less than 200 units it was not enough to maintain the condo to the standard the owners were accustomed to, which included a doorman, pool/gym attendant, parking garage staff, multiple staff at the front gate to assist with exiting, good front desk staff, etc.   So, there was a yearly special assessment to make up the difference.  This brought the fee to around 60 baht.  Again, a bargain in my book and happy to pay it.  

Exactly correct.

Pattaya Hill Resort has no short term rentals and there are about 80-100 vacant units. Since we bought it has always been 30b psqm but was recently changed to 43. Just to note the change had to be approved by some government office and proof had to be given as to why, and it still took a year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lextsy said:

Exactly correct.

Pattaya Hill Resort has no short term rentals and there are about 80-100 vacant units. Since we bought it has always been 30b psqm but was recently changed to 43. Just to note the change had to be approved by some government office and proof had to be given as to why, and it still took a year.

It's important to have an adequate condo fee.  Sometimes it's hard to get enough owners to agree to raise the fees.  Kudos that your condo was able to raise them!  It's a strong positive for your project in my book.  

26 minutes ago, lextsy said:

Exactly correct.

how is the pool? ALways buys with falangs or you can have a nice swim? why is there a net on the balcony? BEcause of pigeons? also the parking? Is it covered for motorbikes? WHat about floods in pattaya. Do they reach this condo?

Edited by parafareno

16 minutes ago, parafareno said:

how is the pool? ALways buys with falangs or you can have a nice swim? why is there a net on the balcony? BEcause of pigeons? also the parking? Is it covered for motorbikes? WHat about floods in pattaya. Do they reach this condo?

I can see you have done zero research but ill answer for you anyway.

The pool is 10/10. All day sun

The condo is not busy, hence the pool is not busy.

Net on the balcony is for people who arent there for months at a time, to leave tables and other stuff outside, without a bird crapping on them.

Parking is awesome, its the entire bottom floor (Not underground).

Floods, i would dare say its the LAST condo in pattaya that could ever see any flooding. Its at the top of Soi 2 Pratanmak Hill with an above ground parking area hence any water flows directly down the road.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, parafareno said:

It was nice of Lextsy to answer but if you are actually a serious buyer these are the things, among others, you should be investigating for yourself, in person, at any condo project you are interested in.  Once you zero in on a project, make multiple visits at different times.

Yes, indeed, how IS the pool?  Big enough for the number of units?  How IS the seating around the pool?  Enough lounge chairs?  Is the pool itself sparkling clear each time you visit?  How IS the parking?  Covered and enough spaces?  How ARE the elevators?  Nicely maintained and enough for the residents?  Or, too few and too crowded.  How's the general appearance of the building?  The hallways?   The grounds?  How's the gym?  Clean and equipment well-maintained?  Enough equipment for the number of residents?  Air-conditioned?  Do the same checking for any  other amenities the condo might have.   How's the security and other staffing?  How's the location for your needs?  If possible, try to check the Minutes of the latest annual meeting.  That will give you good information on the financials and the owner comments can sometimes be helpful.  Buying a condo should not be done in haste and with little investigation, or on the reliance on others.   Properly done, you need to do the work.

• Like 1

short to intermediate bond funds that keep replacing older bonds with newer bonds that payer higher interest rates.  Not necessarily an inflation hedge, but more of an interest rate hedge.  Bite the bullet on other stuff.  Pool resources. 

One of the things I don't see much of in Thailand or Pattaya is people having house mates.  Over the years I have shared houses in the USA (just one other person) and it worked out great.  Saved me a ton.  was easy in easy out as I started and finished contract work in those areas for half a year or more.  Furnished mostly already.  No need to move things around or store things.   Rent a 2 bedroom condo and one good expat roomie.  Of course if you want your thai GF live in, well, that's a different situation

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

short to intermediate bond funds that keep replacing older bonds with newer bonds that payer higher interest rates.  Not necessarily an inflation hedge, but more of an interest rate hedge.  Bite the bullet on other stuff.  Pool resources. 

One of the things I don't see much of in Thailand or Pattaya is people having house mates.  Over the years I have shared houses in the USA (just one other person) and it worked out great.  Saved me a ton.  was easy in easy out as I started and finished contract work in those areas for half a year or more.  Furnished mostly already.  No need to move things around or store things.   Rent a 2 bedroom condo and one good expat roomie.  Of course if you want your thai GF live in, well, that's a different situation

i dont know how americans can live with others and share space...it is awkward....i lived in London for 2 months and share house with others...it sucked...they were eating my food...I was arguing with them....noise...<deleted> that.....in europe we do not share homes...only if you are student

2 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i dont know how americans can live with others and share space...it is awkward....i lived in London for 2 months and share house with others...it sucked...they were eating my food...I was arguing with them....noise...<deleted> that.....in europe we do not share homes...only if you are student

I did not say with others, I said with one other.  8 out of 9 times the other has been a girl.  They seem to rent or have own mortgage payments they can't quite meet or have spotty incomes.  One girl I shared with was an animal bird trainer.  One was a sales rep that worked on commission.  Oh and I am talking about sharing nice sized houses in rancho bernardo california area.  Had pool and jacuzzi rights at the central complex.  An interesting setup.  One other person is good for protection also.  My car and her car coming and going or one in the drive way keeps the breakins away. 

I never found it awkward.  One lady in Hunt Valley MD had a fine house with a yard and a pool.  Great in the summer.  She was fun to share a bottle of wine with, go shopping and dod some things.  She had been to Asia a few times and was good company.  Turns out she was a switch hitter but that's ok.  Her girlfriends were cute. 

Another share was in Old Orange California.  For 800 USD a month including a house cleaner, and the place had a pool and jacuzzi in the complex, that was one of the best.  Great location close to work, beautifully furnished.  she was a nice gal.  All these shares were while I was a contract engineer away from home.  moving into a shared place was so convenient.  All furnished.  easy in easy out.  month to month lease.  Nobody ever wanted me to leave.  I do nothing illegal, pay my rent. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

I did not say with others, I said with one other.  8 out of 9 times the other has been a girl.  They seem to rent or have own mortgage payments they can't quite meet or have spotty incomes.  One girl I shared with was an animal bird trainer.  One was a sales rep that worked on commission.  Oh and I am talking about sharing nice sized houses in rancho bernardo california area.  Had pool and jacuzzi rights at the central complex.  An interesting setup.  One other person is good for protection also.  My car and her car coming and going or one in the drive way keeps the breakins away. 

I never found it awkward.  One lady in Hunt Valley MD had a fine house with a yard and a pool.  Great in the summer.  She was fun to share a bottle of wine with, go shopping and dod some things.  She had been to Asia a few times and was good company.  Turns out she was a switch hitter but that's ok.  Her girlfriends were cute. 

Another share was in Old Orange California.  For 800 USD a month including a house cleaner, and the place had a pool and jacuzzi in the complex, that was one of the best.  Great location close to work, beautifully furnished.  she was a nice gal.  All these shares were while I was a contract engineer away from home.  moving into a shared place was so convenient.  All furnished.  easy in easy out.  month to month lease.  Nobody ever wanted me to leave.  I do nothing illegal, pay my rent. 

And in Pattaya?

On 7/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, Captain Monday said:

Too much nonsense to respond to above won't bother. Captain Monday  never said "Don't buy a Condo". I bought a condo, on my own terms Not more than I can afford can lose and I can still afford to walk away. 

Overall, it was one of my  better decisions. I was given all kind of true fear monger and outrageous reasons why not to buy. Mostly from people why don't have two satangs to rub together. From "you wont like your neighbors" to "The redshirts will prevail and confiscate it". Nobody, but  nobody ever told me about a virus locking me out for 10 months completely disrupting my well curated international lifestyle. 

I don't regret my purchase far from it but if I could go back 15 years would be doing a lot differently.  No, so  from here on not "investing" any more in Thailand.,

Every expat needs a plan B. My plan B has become my plan A. Implementation is in effect at this time

So what's in YOUR bug-out bag?

I'm already in NZ. It's nice, clean, peaceful, BUT far from perfect, it's boring beyond belief! I miss LoS like crazy, but think it is best to sit it out for 5-10 years. By which time a LOT will have changed worldwide, good or bad. Who knows, but a lot. Maybe I or the Thai missus will be dead!? For now, she can follow me here and at least get a decent western wage, or start a food truck eventually, as her specialisation is street food.

We have two properties in Thailand, one's hers outright. We equal-share a yuge condo in lower Sukhumvit we got for peppercorn thru a generous elderly relative, but it needs major work done before it's rentable. 

Everyone who ever moved to Thailand myself included, knew living from year to year with stroppy racist militants running the show is a gamble. I hope everyone muddles through, because if China and the west go to war, there's no way farangs in Thailand won't be impacted. Thailand/ASEAN will try to hedge it's bets, play neutral, but it's too strategic, the West, or China for that matter, will be having none of it!

Good luck to all of us.

6 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I'm already in NZ. It's nice, clean, peaceful, BUT far from perfect, it's boring beyond belief! I miss LoS like crazy, but think it is best to sit it out for 5-10 years.

Meet a fellow Kiwi stuck in NZ who'd much prefer to sit "it" out, whatever "it" is (you admit you dunno), in Thailand:

I know where you are coming from. I'd give anything to be able to live in LOS the rest of my life ( in the style I was used to- I'm not talking about existing in a 2,000 baht a month hovel, eating rice every meal and not ever having a nice lady to sleep with ).

--Why isn't every male in the UK living in thailand?

I should stop sitting "it" out at the beach in Pattaya as I've been enjoying all these years?

image.png.e3ac59a0b5b78c5a8d2c9c88635fd089.png

Can't think of any reason why. Been doing more than just sitting, actually. I guess, as P. D. Mangan says, One man's way of life is another's harsh discipline.????

Maybe I or the Thai missus will be dead!?

Maybe. Who knows? Well, have you started the planning? Ideal would be to fall off a Pattaya barstool, beer in hand, as half-nekkid black-haired angels dance above your corpse to celebrate your Ascension.

I hope everyone muddles through, because if China and the west go to war, there's no way farangs in Thailand won't be impacted.

So far I haven't been muddling, so I'm not sure why'd start. Sounds more like you're muddling in NZ. Now if China and "the west" go to war, Kiwis will no doubt be affected as well. Perhaps it's time to re-watch On The Beach (1959).????

On 7/25/2022 at 5:18 PM, bkk6060 said:

I agree I do think India and especially Chinese will be buying here much more in the future.

It all depends on if interest rates rise or fall. What if we are entering a rising rate phase ? If rates rise more, these 30 years long bull markets will turn into bear markets. Long term too

On 7/25/2022 at 6:31 PM, KIngsofisaan said:

Thai condo's are not sound investments.

There is a huge glutton and oversupply of condos in Thailand right now and there always will be.

The mega builders will never stop building. Just like the malls.

A Thai condo will never be a sound investment.

Compare that investment to some places like coastal Florida, USA, where a US $200,000 house 3 or 4 years ago is now around $600,000.

That is a sound investment in real estate.

There are a lot of ppl who've done well on the Thai condo bubble pyramid since 2008. And there are a lot of ppl who've done well in the Florida bubble pyramid too. The question is, will these credit fueled bubbles last in perpetuity ? I doubt it.

But I was wrong from 2010 till now. The "market" was flooded with easy money, lots of builders and flippers. I guess it will last forever.

How long before these pre year 2000 Bangkok towers fail I wonder?

In Florida recently the deterioration of a pool deck is suspected of trigging the collapse of a 30 year old condo tower. Decades of water penetrating the rebar weakened the towers foundation, triggering a deadly failure of the structure. Nobody expected the building to fall in the middle of the night killing around 100 people.

What happens to condo prices in these Thai building around town start reach 30 year? 40 year? 50 years and they start colappsing? 

What is the lifespan of these concrete / re-bar skyscrapers if maintained well?  and what if they are not maintained well.

Were they designed properly, constructed professionally with the proper materials specified or did the owner/builder cut corners to save money? Was the building inspector properly trained, ethical and moral? Did the workforce water down the mix so it pumps better in the hot weather? Was the rebar installed at specification? Did the concrete mix nestle into the forms adequately? Does the workforce care?

Do the building management and service techs even know what to look for when a building is on the brink of failure?

In Florida recently the deterioration of a pool deck is suspected of trigging the collapse of a 30 year old condo tower in Florida. Decades of water penetrating the rebar weakened the towers foundation, triggering a deadly failure of the structure.

New Florida law demands frequent inspection schedules and a condo bank account fund with adequate balance for foreseeable repairs.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2022/05/25/florida-legislature-passes-condo-law-on-inspection-repairs/

Washington Post wrote a comprehensive article detailing the failure of management, board of directors and city after repeated warnings. https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../pool-deck-condo-collapse/

2 hours ago, LarrySR said:

In Florida recently the deterioration of a pool deck is suspected of trigging the collapse of a 30 year old condo tower. Decades of water penetrating the rebar weakened the towers foundation, triggering a deadly failure of the structure. Nobody expected the building to fall in the middle of the night killing around 100 people.

What happens to condo prices in these Thai building around town start reach 30 year? 40 year? 50 years and they start colappsing? 

What is the lifespan of these concrete / re-bar skyscrapers if maintained well?  and what if they are not maintained well.

Were they designed properly, constructed professionally with the proper materials specified or did the owner/builder cut corners to save money? Was the building inspector properly trained, ethical and moral? Did the workforce water down the mix so it pumps better in the hot weather? Was the rebar installed at specification? Did the concrete mix nestle into the forms adequately? Does the workforce care?

Do the building management and service techs even know what to look for when a building is on the brink of failure?

In Florida recently the deterioration of a pool deck is suspected of trigging the collapse of a 30 year old condo tower in Florida. Decades of water penetrating the rebar weakened the towers foundation, triggering a deadly failure of the structure.

New Florida law demands frequent inspection schedules and a condo bank account fund with adequate balance for foreseeable repairs.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2022/05/25/florida-legislature-passes-condo-law-on-inspection-repairs/

Washington Post wrote a comprehensive article detailing the failure of management, board of directors and city after repeated warnings. https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../pool-deck-condo-collapse/

Very good question for those familiar with the Florida condo collapse.

7 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

There are a lot of ppl who've done well on the Thai condo bubble pyramid since 2008. And there are a lot of ppl who've done well in the Florida bubble pyramid too. The question is, will these credit fueled bubbles last in perpetuity ? I doubt it.

But I was wrong from 2010 till now. The "market" was flooded with easy money, lots of builders and flippers. I guess it will last forever.

Bubble? Thailand? you seen Sydney? LOL

9 hours ago, LarrySR said:

The good news is that those waiting 25 years already for the prices of Royal Garden Cliff condos to colappse will be happy to learn that in only 5 more years they can pick up one for mere satang on the baht. ???? Can you hold your breath? Somebody go get the Imminent Collapse report.

How long is a piece of string?

We’re all still strong believers in the AN/TVF Mausoleum Principle: unlike in other countries,

a Thai(land) construction/development/business establishment must last eternally, like the Great Pyramids, maintenance-free.

So it’s been seriously wondered why Thais can’t build roads like Romans. Why does this country’s roads have potholes, unlike those in the UK? Thais!

Well, I think we can all rest easy now that they probably won’t fall until the year 3000, certainly beyond any of our lifetimes, so again it’s a good time to buy.

Why? AN (TVF) predictions are excellent reverse indicators. A recent prediction that the old Tops building would be a casino was how we knew it would most definitely NOT be a casino. But besides the portentous Economic, Financial, and Market Forecasts, we have such in Construction Engineering as well.

Some of our Engineers still wait for the predicted collapse of the Central Festival mall. And we have a few in the closet still eagerly anticipating the flooding of the Tunnel. One has confessed to the comforting thought that it WILL flood whenever a typhoon hits Pattaya. Which could happen just any day now. Another has vowed to watch forever for land subsidence and the collapse of businesses near the Tunnel. Waiting, waiting . . . . A forum prediction never expires, ever.

It’s good that we still have some still around to stir the pot. Sadly, you see, the ranks of our ace Construction Engineers were decimated after the first big rain following the completion of the Tunnel, that complete bodge job.

The horrendous disillusionment and disappointment proved too much for many to bear. A Known Certainty demolished; worse, a basic principle of Forum Construction Engineering--

water naturally flows uphill, not downhill (hence into, not away from, the Tunnel)

--shown the usual utter nonsense. And all the bigotry against Thais, too stupid to build a tunnel (never mind Chiang Mai) shown for what it is. Not that this mattered in the slightest, of course.

For days you could hardly walk around Soi Buakhao without hearing the thud of another Bigot Engineer hitting the ground nearby after jumping from a balcony. It was like the ending of a Doomsday Cult but without the promise of redemption.

• Like 1