Kid goes home with a sign stapled to his shirt - teacher is transferred and father is furious

webfact

Thing is p, I think the teacher did it unthinkingly not with malice. Yeah might be among the first things we think of, “would this embarrass the kid” (by the way, we still don’t know if the kid was actually embarrassed himself). But this is Thailand, first thought conformity. And even with a degree teachers have a learning curve. Was she new teacher? Old teacher set in her ways? What?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Do you have memory problems ?

My daughter wears three different uniforms but it is for the same days each week and never changes except maybe at Christmas for a party.

As far as uniforms generally I believe it creates a sense of belonging and ensures that some kids don’t turn up in designer labels and others in shabby clothes.

As is seen on the news regularly "inter school" fighting is not unheard of, I doubt uniforms are particularly effective at controlling this behaviour as they give people a sense of group identity whilst  clearly identifying  the opposition.  Can anybody else think of other "situations" were uniforms are inflammatory ?

Edited by Bday Prang

2 minutes ago, Bobbie Davies said:

Thing is p, I think the teacher did it unthinkingly not with malice. Yeah might be among the first things we think of, “would this embarrass the kid” (by the way, we still don’t know if the kid was actually embarrassed himself). But this is Thailand, first thought conformity. And even with a degree teachers have a learning curve. Was she new teacher? Old teacher set in her ways? What?

Who cares if the kid was embarrassed! 

I used to take the kids to the front of the class and make them put their arms out horizontally and place books on their hands. If they were bad, I'd tell them to stand at the from with the a bucket over their head, the one for taking in their milk. 

A lot of Karens here today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobbie Davies said:

Thing is p, I think the teacher did it unthinkingly not with malice.

How do you unthinkably staple a sign to a KID?  First, think of what to write.  Get paper.  Write it.  Get stapler, get kid, STAPLE towards the kid...likely scaring a CHILD.....etc....

this guy should never be a "teacher."  In Thailand, "teacher" always has to be in quotes.  lol

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

As is seen on the news regularly "inter school" fighting is not unheard of, I doubt uniforms are particularly effective at controlling this behaviour as they give people a sense of group identity whilst  clearly identify the opposition.  Can anybody else think of other "situations" were uniforms are inflammatory ?

Even the teachers wear uniforms. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

this guy should never be a "teacher."  In Thailand, "teacher" always has to be in quotes.  lol

Do you have any idea how much these teachers get a month?

If they are not allowed to do things like this, they will not work and kids will get no education. 

Did your teachers ever hit you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In response to the law, it was a rhetorical question to lead to thought, I already knew the corporal punishment law. But nowhere in the law does it mention pinning a note to the child’s shirt. If you have ever dealt with a Court of Law, it is all about the details and meeting the specifics of the crime. That is not regardless of personal opinion of “mental trauma” the same physical act. Neither was it meant as a form of corporal punishment. For Gods sake, she wasn’t trying to punish the child, she was trying to get a message to the family. She could never be charged under that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

NO, this is 2022.

Well, ti be honest there are plenty of kids being raised by elderly grandparents who, despite it being 2022  and "theoretically" having access to the internet / social media have absolutely no idea how to use it, and no inclination to learn at their time of life, and I fully understand and agree with that.   This is also not unique to "up-country" locations in Thailand it is a generational thing

• Like 2

Just now, Bday Prang said:

Well, ti be honest there are plenty of kids being raised by elderly grandparents who, despite it being 2022  and "theoretically" having access to the internet / social media have absolutely no idea how to use it, and no inclination to learn at their time of life, and I fully understand and agree with that.   This is also not unique to "up-country" locations in Thailand it is a generational thing

In this day and age, if you can't figure out how to use a telephone, you should not be allowed to look after kids. 

My mother-in-law is over 80 and even figured out how to buy Bitcoin. My father-in-law has Alzheimer's and can use LINE, but sometimes forgets who he is talking to. 

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I think that the reasoning behind it is that the kids need to have a clean uniform everyday , as some would be inclined to wear the same uniform everyday for the week and it would become a bit dirty on Friday 

Fair point - never thought of that!

• Like 1

And again with the likelies. Give me facts not projections. Now it has gone from embarrassment to frightening the kid and putting him in fear of his life. Because of the dangerous stapler. Anyone else here play telephone as a kid? Give me facts baby. The article says nothing, zero, zip, nada, about the kids reaction to this. We can’t even see his face in the picture to judge an expression.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Sure kids lose notes or parents don't respond in the UK also.

I will bet that it was is done in UK schools

Much worse was done in UK schools, some posters here are losing their memories. 

Reminds me of my father who gave me a lecture about not having seatbelts in the back of my car and  for smoking in the house, when as a kid he never wore a seatbelt and above the driver's seat was yellow from smoking. 

• Like 1

Well in this case, it had nothing to do with the school uniform and everything to do with some special outfit for Thai Day. My little nephew, I call my fiancés nephew, nephew, would be embarrassed to show up to school and not be dressed like his friends. That is not even counting the pointing and jibing he would take for wearing his regular uniform that day. Kids gotta love ‘em, and do, really can be less than pleasant with the odd man out. Says the gay man who always knew it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Who cares if the kid was embarrassed! 

I used to take the kids to the front of the class and make them put their arms out horizontally and place books on their hands. If they were bad, I'd tell them to stand at the from with the a bucket over their head, the one for taking in their milk. 

A lot of Karens here today.

The main words in this post are "used to". Times have changed, some things for the better, some not.

We used to have corporal punishment at my school in the 50's, and the children/youths were better behaved then than they are now. I got the cane once not for misbehaving, but basically to make me "try harder" My marks had  "bombed" due to inattention in class - the cane got my attention back all right! 

Some people say that the abolishment of corporal punishment was a good thing - human rights and all that, but my ex wife's first job was as a teacher and she thoroughly enjoyed it as the kids were pretty well behaved, but after leaving to have our family, she returned to teaching as a supply teacher a few years later, (after the abolishment of corporal punishment) and said she wasn't teaching any more  - she was keeping the kids from running riot! And this behaviour extended beyond the classroom with the resultant lack of respect for authority of any kind becoming commonplace, and anti social behaviour became and is a big problem. You could say that discipline begins at home, but if there is no discipline once the kids leave the house, everybody's hands are "tied" and the streetwise kids of today realise that, and as the statistics show, they are literally getting away with murder!

• Like 2

News flash, my fiancé lives in a village outside of UD town. He had this old clunker of a cell phone and no home internet, no money to buy internet on that fossil except he’d get a week every month and he shared that with his nephew, mother, and uncle. and he was 45 years old. That was his reality. Internet is not universal. Took care of that and now he has up to date phone and internet in our house. His nephew comes to our house to watch television because he doesn’t even have that. Many people simply don’t have the means to keep up with phones and internet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Even the teachers wear uniforms. 

As do many if not all government employees, many, if not all, of whom display a very impressive collection of medals, I'm no expert but I'm thinking that the purpose of these uniforms is multi faceted. It designates the wearer as being a member of an authoritarian organization and as such (and for no other reason)  isuperior  to those who are not "entitled" to wear one, and therefore worthy and deserving of their respect, furthermore the trimmings and medals Identify the wearers "rank" within the organization that the uniform represents and  denotes where respect or deference is due from other members of the same group

Probably quite useful in the case of the police force or the military but a bit pointless and really just plain weird when it extends to the likes of "teachers" who should be able to earn respect by virtue of their words and actions, and "town hall" employees who are not really due anymore respect than anybody else

I doubt very much if the kid in question is going to suffer "long term trauma or any other distress"  they and the other kids will either be laughing about it or have forgotten about it already .

"long term trauma or any other distress"     is a relatively modern concept dreamed up by members of the woke west, as is the "counselling" required to address it       

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Much worse was done in UK schools, some posters here are losing their memories. 

Reminds me of my father who gave me a lecture about not having seatbelts in the back of my car and  for smoking in the house, when as a kid he never wore a seatbelt and above the driver's seat was yellow from smoking. 

As a kid he never wore a seatbelt probably because there weren't any, and smoking was more socially acceptable in those days - before it became known as a  health hazard.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

As do many if not all government employees, many, if not all, of whom display a very impressive collection of medals, I'm no expert but I'm thinking that the purpose of these uniforms is multi faceted. It designates the wearer as being a member of an authoritarian organization and as such (and for no other reason)  isuperior  to those who are not "entitled" to wear one, and therefore worthy and deserving of their respect, furthermore the trimmings and medals Identify the wearers "rank" within the organization that the uniform represents and  denotes where respect or deference is due from other members of the same group

Probably quite useful in the case of the police force or the military but a bit pointless and really just plain weird when it extends to the likes of "teachers" who should be able to earn respect by virtue of their words and actions, and "town hall" employees who are not really due anymore respect than anybody else

I doubt very much if the kid in question is going to suffer "long term trauma or any other distress"  they and the other kids will either be laughing about it or have forgotten about it already .

"long term trauma or any other distress"     is a relatively modern concept dreamed up by members of the woke west, as is the "counselling" required to address it       

When you integrate into Thai society, you understand that when two people meet for the first time, one is expected to show the other some kind of obeisance to show that they accept their inferior rung on the hierarchical social ladder. 

It is sometimes quite easy to ascertain who is on which rung but more than often not; this is where the uniform makes it much easier, although still sometimes complicated. 

As farang, it's made simpler - we are not even on the bottom rung of the said ladder.  As a teacher, this was obvious when the kids 'waaied' the janitor and cleaner but not the foreign teachers. When acquiring Thai citizenship, this totally screws people up, and many just can't handle it and want to run a mile, rather than apply the socially accepted obeisance. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

In this day and age, if you can't figure out how to use a telephone, you should not be allowed to look after kids. 

My mother-in-law is over 80 and even figured out how to buy Bitcoin. My father-in-law has Alzheimer's and can use LINE, but sometimes forgets who he is talking to. 

You may have a point , and I kind of agree,  but its not yet a legal requirement

• Like 1