Lump on lower back

warrima

Ive a lump in the center of my lower back, just under the skin. Its pea sized and quite hard but not painful at all. I had the same about 2 years ago but it eventually ruptured and some puss and blood weeped out for a few days. It healed up and i thought no more about it - although it left a slight hollow. This feels like the same thing back again as its in the exact same location. Any idea what it could be and if its a concern?

10 minutes ago, stoner said:

have you thought of going to a doctor to find out ? 

I went to a little clinic the last time when it ruptured and they just cleaned it and put a dressing on it. Got the usual boat load of medications. Mrs translation from the doc was that it was a seed - but said it was nothing to worry about. Just wondering if its a Synovial cyst. 

7 minutes ago, warrima said:

I went to a little clinic the last time when it ruptured and they just cleaned it and put a dressing on it. Got the usual boat load of medications. Mrs translation from the doc was that it was a seed - but said it was nothing to worry about. Just wondering if its a Synovial cyst. 

That was last time, which may or may not be relevant to this lump.  Not something you want to ignore, or need to be overly worried about.

But SHOULD be looked at ... by proper dermatologist or doc.   Quick & easy biopsy if suspicious. 

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

But SHOULD be looked at ... by proper dermatologist or doc.   Quick & easy biopsy if suspicious. 

Agree but just looking to gain some knowledge before i do- maybe other members have had similar. 

Just now, warrima said:

Agree but just looking to gain some knowledge before i do- maybe other members have had similar. 

Under the skin, a bump is a bump, and almost impossible for anyone to chime in.  Could be a simple infection, like last time, a cyst or something more ominous.  Unless on top the skin, visible, hard for anyone to assess, not that I'd take any of 'our' ideas to heart.  Don't think there's any dermatologist on the forum.  Pea size is good though.  Smaller is always better.

Could be a sebaceous  cyst. These are harmless. They are filled with a sort of cheesy substance and may spontansously rupture. They also often recur.

Synovial cyst, also known as ganglion cyst, seems unlikely given location as they usually occur over a joint. (And they too are harmless,).  They also feel a bit different on palpation as they are filled with fluid though as it is on your back may be hard for you to tell.

Pilonodal cysts are usually located right at the tailbone immediatrly above where the buttock crack begins. They easily get infected and require treatment when they do. They do sometimes spontaneously rupture so if the location fits  this too might be what you had especially since it sounds like new lump is in same place as the old, and pilonodal cysts do often recur.

Other posssibility is lipoma. But  these  do not tend to rupture as you report it having done the first time.

So sebaceous or pilonidal cyst are the most probable and if you can be more specific as to location that would tend to narrow it down.

You can google pix of pilonodal cyst to see what I mean about location. Palpate the crack between your buttocks and move straight up, if the lump is immediately at or just above  the start of the crack then pilonodal cyst is more likely. If further up the back sebaceous cyst more likely. These aren't absolutely rules just probabilities.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

So sebaceous or pilonidal cyst are the most probable and if you can be more specific as to location that would tend to narrow it down.

Many thanks for your input Sheryl. This is a little higher - about 5 inches above the crack and central over my spine. Definitely same location as before as it left a small scare when it ruptured last time. It protrudes slightly but if i pinch it with my thumb and finger i can feel the mass under my skin.

22 minutes ago, warrima said:

Many thanks for your input Sheryl. This is a little higher - about 5 inches above the crack and central over my spine. Definitely same location as before as it left a small scare when it ruptured last time. It protrudes slightly but if i pinch it with my thumb and finger i can feel the mass under my skin.

Probably sebaceous then but if concerned see a dermatologist. 

• Like 1