Heathrow.terminal 1 To Terminal 3

Hi,all :o

I'm flying from Manchester(U.K.)to Heathrow,arriving at terminal 1.

After collecting my bag,I need to get across to terminal 3 for my Thai airlines flight to BKK.

Which is the quickest/easiest way there,and how long will it take?

Any advice,much appreciated :D

After collecting my bag,I need to get across to terminal 3 for my Thai airlines flight to BKK.

Walk. 10 minutes...

Well I believe due to the change of security you now have to collect your bag then check it in again? When I flew previously you could check you bag all the way from Manchester to the other end (Vientiane for me).

So I suppose you could go back out to the main concourse and get a trolley then walk to T3 then check in BUT this means fighting it out in the main check in desk (not so bad if you have a Thai Gold card though...).

However I wouldn't exit the customs area there should be an exit for flights and transfers where you can go and check you bag in up there then get a bus over to T3 with the piece of mind that you can just sit back and relax!

:o

Well I believe due to the change of security you now have to collect your bag then check it in again? When I flew previously you could check you bag all the way from Manchester to the other end (Vientiane for me).

I'm not at all sure that this is correct. I think that you should be able to check your hold baggage through to your final destination, in which case you can just go to the transfer desk at T1 and catch the shuttle bus to T3.

Be aware though that your hand baggage will be re-screened in T3 so there will be a problem if you have any LAGs. Any liquids (like booze) that you buy at Manchester may well get confiscated at Heathrow - there have been some reports of this happening (same potential problem with buying in Heathrow T3 if your flight to Thailand is not direct). As your MAN - LHR flight is domestic I don't think that you can buy duty free at MAN anyway so maybe no problem!

You can maybe check the BAA website for up-to-date information.

DM

Be prepared for a nightmare at the security screening at T3, the queue seems never ending and it's not helped by passengers who are not prepared when they reach the scanners. I remove everything from my jeans and put it in my jacket pockets then sling the whole lot onto the conveyor. Best also to remove your belt, the guy land side said not necessary but the one airside had me undo it so he could have a feel around it for whatever. Then once you are through that you walk 30 paces and remove your shoes.

By the time I get through it's straight to TGI Fridays for a pint of Boddingtons :D or two. :o

Have a safe journey.

As far as I am aware via my parents experience flying this same route (MAN - BKK - VTE) they were told they couldn't check there bags all the way through due to security changes. I think it must be to stop people checking bags through to the destination but then not taking the onward flights.

My parents also said the T3 security check in was a nightmare also, they were over 3 weeks ago - so this is a recent experience!

Either way make sure you have a good few hours between your BMI flight (I guess!) and Thai otherwise you've got no chance!

Thanks for all your replies. :o:D

I'm flying down to Heathrow with BMI(British Midlands),who said I can't check my bag all the way to Bangkok,because the 2 flights are on seperate tickets.So,I'll have to get my bag.

I contacted Heathrow ,and they said: follow the signs to Terminal 3,go down to the tube,take the walkway there.10~15 minutes.Any one done this?????

Once again,I appreciate everyones' replies :D

I'm flying down to Heathrow with BMI(British Midlands),who said I can't check my bag all the way to Bangkok,because the 2 flights are on seperate tickets.So,I'll have to get my bag.

I contacted Heathrow ,and they said: follow the signs to Terminal 3,go down to the tube,take the walkway there.10~15 minutes.Any one done this?????

book your bags straight through and take walkways to term 3 easy and well sign posted approx 10-15 min/tube every 10 min takes about 5 min.

walkways funny old thing have you ever noticed how every one stops when they get on them bl##dy tourists

Be prepared for a nightmare at the security screening at T3, the queue seems never ending and it's not helped by passengers who are not prepared when they reach the scanners. I remove everything from my jeans and put it in my jacket pockets then sling the whole lot onto the conveyor. Best also to remove your belt, the guy land side said not necessary but the one airside had me undo it so he could have a feel around it for whatever. Then once you are through that you walk 30 paces and remove your shoes.

By the time I get through it's straight to TGI Fridays for a pint of Boddingtons :D or two. :D

Have a safe journey.

phil if i ever get behind you at screening i will pay for all your boddies seems i get behind some jerk who cant read all the signs computer/keys/loose change etc etc etc

should be made to go to the back of the cue.

another thing why do people stand still on moving walkways? :o

I've walked this route many many times (but not for catching a plane!) and it's a 10 minute walk and avoid as many people standing oblivious on the moving walk ways. However I would still go via the transfers desk and then get the bus between the terminals far simpler and you can pass through security etc there rather than at the T3 normal check-in. Also like I say the Transfer Desks are no where near as busy as the normal check-in desks.

Did you tell them you were transferring when you spoke to Heathrow or just asked how to get between the terminals? If you just asked how to get between them they will tell you walk!

Edited by technocracy

All the other info is pretty much accurate. I've used T3 about 30-35 times in the last few years. The lines and security checks have gotten progressively worse, although it depends a lot on the time of day. You will probably wait in the security check line for longer than it takes you to walk underground between terminals.

Only one other point to add:

BMI and Thai are both part of the Star Alliance. You might be able to use that as leverage to get your bags checked all the way through, even though you are on separate tickets. Probably not but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also in T3, depending on where your aircraft is parked, it could be quite a hike to the gate. They try to close the doors about 20-25 minutes before locking up the plane, so you might want to head for your boarding gate with about 45 minutes to spare.

Pretty ridiculous when you need to allow for about 90 minutes once you arrive in the terminal.

Good luck. Safe travels.

Many thanks :o:D

I'll push BMI to check my bag all the way to BKK(I'm a Star alliance member with THAI,so it might help).

I do have 2 and a half hours between landing at LHR,and my BKK flight.I'll have already checked-in on-line 24 hours before,so I should be o.k.

Thanks to everyones kind advice

• 2 weeks later...

How did that move between terminal 3 and 1 in Heathrow Airport with having only 2 or so hours in between the flights of different airlines and have to take your suitcase and then check in again?

I have to do the same thing this Sat, blimey!

I can at least just bring a carry-on bag to bring with me to the cabin to save time, so am considering it.

But it'd be nice if I could bring a suitcase cause I want to bring some stuff to leave back home instead of sending by post even sea mail that can be be quite expensive cause it's from Europe all the way to Asia.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi Switsof :D

I Don't go until the end of this month,but Ive decided I'm going to take just a carry-on,so when I get get off the BMI flight,Idon't have to wait for my bag to come.Then I'm just going to leg it across to T3.

I hear the hard part(s) are the time it takes checking-in at Thai airlines(economy!) and getting through the security check(liquids etc.) to get airside.

Anyone been lately?

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have an update to this?

Coming into Ter 1 from Dublin and have exactly 2 hours until departure from Ter 3...

Thanks!

Have travelled out of Terminal 3 several times the last few years, most recently on the 1st of this month. We come to LHR by coach, grab a trolly and walk through the tunnel from the Central Bus Station to Terminal 3. It takes less than 10 minutes, is well-signposted and shouldn't take much more from Tn1.

We've not found long check-in queues at either Thai or Eva, and after the first nightmare going through security 2-3 years ago when they first introduced the current regs about no liquids etc, it's only 15 minutes or so to get through. In total, from disembarking at the Central Bus station to sitting down in the Departure Lounge, we only take about 40 minutes.

On a slightly-related topic, I've noticed in the last year or so that after going through security, and then showing passports at the UKBA desk, just as you debouch into the Departure Lounge, there's another security set-up. I haven't the foggiest idea what it's for, as we just walk round the side and nobody's ever challenged us. But most passengers meekly present themselves and stick their bags through the x-ray and generally get messed about again. Looks totally superfluous to me.

On a slightly-related topic, I've noticed in the last year or so that after going through security, and then showing passports at the UKBA desk, just as you debouch into the Departure Lounge, there's another security set-up.

It is for screening of foot wear only and passengers are selected at random by security.

Frm_Bkk