Wood Baseboards/Moulding in Bangkok?

dia1

Does anyone know a good place to buy baseboards and door molding(casing) in Bangkok? I've been searching for weeks and I'm coming up short.

Boonthavorn only has a few thin plastic baseboards... no casing. Most of the lumber places I've called around to only have thick, unsanded/untreated lumber. Thaiwatsadu has a very limited selection of wood baseboards, conwood (fake wood) and cheap pvc door casing. No wood door casing that I could find.

And most of the contractors I've talked to are just don't seem familiar/confident enough to install door casing, so I plan to do the whole project myself i I can find some options. Not interested in the plastic baseboards as they look too fake to me, and the fake wood/conwood stuff is too heavy and wouldn't be easy to install.

I know it exists somewhere as the room I'm sitting in has some nice, real wood trim and baseboards, but I can't find  a supplier.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

They ate mine and I replaced with the 'Conwod' version.

I considered conwood, but the are very heavy and don't seem easy to work with.

Were you able to do this yourself or did you have a 'chang' do it for you?

I figure my doors are wood, the door jambs are wood, and I have several piece of wood furniture. If termites show up, I figure the baseboards and trim are the least of my worries.

I recently used some of the WPC (Wood plastic Composite) from Thai Watsadu and to me, it looks like real wood that has been painted with a glossy paint. As for door/window casings, I couldn't find any good ones, anywhere. I again used some WPC from Thai Watsadu, but had to be careful installing it because it was hollow. Finished product looked OK.

I looked all over (in Chiang Rai) and couldn't find anything better.

For a different house in Chiang Rai several years ago, I did find some colonial style door casings at a wood supplier, but they were pine. Our house is in an area that has lots of termites but so far, so good. Perhaps because we didn't use real wood anywhere else other than doors and door frames.

In the Bangkok suburbs, there used to be an area of Bang Sue that had many wood shops and I THINK they had wood for sale. You might want to try there. 

I started a thread in May '22 here: https://aseannow.com/topic/1260066-painting-upvc-interior-trim/

Our CM builder had quite a few samples from that manufacturer so we got our trim needs sorted fairly quickly.  It's already up and looks pretty good.  They're in the process of spray painting it now so all trim matches the doors and the future plantation shutters.

For some reason, our builder installed the door and window trim with a setback of maybe 1cm from the edge of window opening and from the door frame.  Is that standard in Thailand?  It's not a problem because we opted to just paint that thin strip the same color as the trim itself.

LINEDEKOR E-CATALOG 2019.pdf

Edited by gamb00ler

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

I started a thread in May '22 here: https://aseannow.com/topic/1260066-painting-upvc-interior-trim/

Our CM builder had quite a few samples from that manufacturer so we got our trim needs sorted fairly quickly.  It's already up and looks pretty good.  They're in the process of spray painting it now so all trim matches the doors and the future plantation shutters.

For some reason, our builder installed the door and window trim with a setback of maybe 1cm from the edge of window opening and from the door frame.  Is that standard in Thailand?  It's not a problem because we opted to just paint that thin strip the same color as the trim itself.

LINEDEKOR E-CATALOG 2019.pdf 3.01 MB · 0 downloads

Any chance you could share pictures of what it looks like? I found  a polystyrene baseboard from that same company at Boonthavorn, but it felt really fragile and plasticy. The surface didn't look like it was something that would take paint well. But maybe I didn't give it a good enough chance.

Does it feel solid and durable when it's secured to your wall or does it feel like flimsy plastic? Could it pass as wood?

3 hours ago, dia1 said:

Does it feel solid and durable when it's secured to your wall or does it feel like flimsy plastic? Could it pass as wood?

It appears to be solid.  I'll see if I can snap up a trim piece that has been discarded and test its resistance to minor blows such as from a mop, chair leg, etc.  It is secured to the wall with glue and a few very small nails.

It appears to be very smooth, probably more smooth than wood trim.  I think it's going to look fine.

They are spraying the trim starting 1 or 2 days ago.  If you like you can browse through my 600+ build photos stored on a Google drive --> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TZl0zFX_2lk5xOQ_jXofs4zMF7MLffhl?usp=sharing

The house started in Sep and should finish in mid August.

I'll be at the site again tomorrow and will get a close up shot for you.

• 3 weeks later...

@dia1 I did finally get to test a discarded piece of the polystyrene trim for susceptibility to damage caused by accidental bumps from furniture.  I was surprised that it required a strong whack before it showed a dent.  Scratches on the paint were of course more easily inflicted, but that's to be expected.

Edited by gamb00ler