Visa options

Hi guys,

Sorry to post this late but this is kind of an emergency.

My GF's uncle (Thai) is in a hospital in Bkk at the moment and there is no predicting if he is going to make it. Chances are, he won't.

Thing is, his wife (German) came back to Thailand earlier and her exempt visa expires on 08/08. She is above 50 but does not have the financial requirements for either retirement or marriage visas. She lives in Hua Hin. They have no children together.

She is in a very poor physical shape (has to breath from a machine). She is not willing to go to a hospital to try and obtain a medical visa... That's how bad of a shape she is in.

What kind of visa could she try to apply for back in Hua Hin? I know she can get a 30 days extension, but what could she obtain beyond that?

Agent routes are most definitely open and recommended, she just wants to stay here in Thailand to be with her husband. Beyond that, I don't know.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers, any help is appreciated.

There are no financial requirements for a foreign woman married to a Thai man. @ubonjoecan you please confirm that this applies in practice as well as according to the relevant Police Order's Reason 2.18 on extensions of permission to stay.

Before applying for the Non O visa, the visa exempt entry will need to be extended. This is because you need 15 days remaining on your existing permission to stay when applying for the Non O visa at Immigration. A regular 30-day extension is available if not used already, and a 60-day Covid extension should be possible otherwise.

As an alternative to all the above, an agent can arrange a retirement visa and extension without financial proof. This is a shady process, but the easiest solution for someone in very poor physical condition. The cost for the Non O visa followed by the one-year extension through an agent will probably be in the region of 25,000 baht,  though I am unsure what an agent in Hua Hin will charge.

• Thanks 1

If she is married to a Thai man she could apply for a 60 day extension to visit him. That could be done after the standard 30 day extension is done.

She could also qualify for a one year extension of stay after getting a non-o visa without needing financial proof. Her husband may need to show some proof of income.