Suggestion To Make Yourself Scarce

Siki

Today I was in a rare fender bender as a passenger in a taxi. Immediately after an accident there is confusion and I used this time to make myself scarce.

May I suggest that you place money for the fare on the seat or someplace where the driver can see it and then blend into the crowd and go away.

If you hang around, you are inviting someone to blame you and expect you to pay.

Get out of there before this happens.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've been reading Thaivisa too long.

Agreed. Even the BiB aren't that inventive as to blame an accident on the back seat passenger, but don't give them ideas. The only reason to bail out is to grab another taxi and avoid the delay.

I've left my card, 500 Baht and then left. I left the 500 baht because the driver seemed to be having a very bad day and he wasn't driving recklessly. I wasn't sure if the accident was his fault or the other driver's fault (seemed like maybe a 50-50 thing), so I left my card in case the police had any questions. Finally, I really was in a hurry, that is why I took a taxi, because I knew I wouldn't have time to get my car parked and get to my appointment.

The last thing is that since I can't speak enough Thai to explain how to get to a toilet, I decided my presence would be of little value at that instance.

Today I was in a rare fender bender as a passenger in a taxi. Immediately after an accident there is confusion and I used this time to make myself scarce.

May I suggest that you place money for the fare on the seat or someplace where the driver can see it and then blend into the crowd and go away.

If you hang around, you are inviting someone to blame you and expect you to pay.

Get out of there before this happens.

Abit O.T.T.T mate , i would just hand over the cash to the driver and get another cab,

instead of disappearing ,and leaving the question for the taxi driver or police thinking why did that farang leg it ????

I think in Los Angeles if you are a passenger in a Taxi you are held legally responsible for any thing that happens. the logic goes that the Taxi has been hired by you so therefore the driver has become your employee.

Do not know if this would play in LOS but a falang passenger might be seen as fair game.

I think in Los Angeles if you are a passenger in a Taxi you are held legally responsible for any thing that happens. the logic goes that the Taxi has been hired by you so therefore the driver has become your employee.

Do not know if this would play in LOS but a falang passenger might be seen as fair game.

ummmm no .. in LA yu are not held legally responsible ....

Some posters from the other thread would suggest a 500 baht tip as well. :o

:D:D

Some posters from the other thread would suggest a 500 baht tip as well. :o

... to the guy who caused the crash for substandard service :D

This reminds me of the old India hand comment that if an accident occurred it had to be your fault {foreigner} since you interfered with the karma of the others. In other words it happened because you were there, ergo, if at all possible 'leg it'.

Regards

Last year I was in three accidents in three different taxis in the space of two weeks, all in Bangkok. None very serious. As the drivers, other passengers (in the cases of the busses that ran into two of the taxis), various onlookers, policemen, etc., gathered, each time the driver of the taxi hailed me another cab and refused any payment.

What nonsense

What nonsense

I was told this by a US marine sergeant stationed in L.A. he also said that the way to avoid liability was to keep enough money in your hand to cover payment and drop the money on the seat if there was an accident. This was back in 1980 and I know him a lot better than I know you.

What nonsense

I was told this by a US marine sergeant stationed in L.A. he also said that the way to avoid liability was to keep enough money in your hand to cover payment and drop the money on the seat if there was an accident. This was back in 1980 and I know him a lot better than I know you.

This is getter weirder and weirder. 1980? So it's a recent law, with a rather archaic get out clause based on holding cash in your hand. Would a necklace made of garlic also work?

What nonsense

And to prove it's complete twaddle, check out this link.

http://www.cbdlaw.com/CM/Articles/CommonCarrier.pdf

A taxi is defined as a common carrier, with all the attendant responsibilities.

If you can find a link to your 1980 law, I'd love to see it . . . .

In some countries like Iran, if a passenger is talking and there is an accident, the passenger can be fined but not held responsible for the accident.

I don't know if this applies to taxi's, but it does apply to private vehicles.

What nonsense

Johna, a taxi driver in LA or elsewhere in the United States is an independent contractor and not considered to be your employee if there is an accident. The cab is covered under an insurance policy maintained by the parent company (the taxi driver pays for this through daily fees paid to the parent company). You are not liable as a customer unless you did something to distract the driver or otherwise cause the accident. Your marine sergeant friend probably knows a lot about weaponry, but at one time in my life I was a taxi driver in the USA and probably know a little more about this subject.

Edited by farang prince

"I was told this by a US marine sergeant stationed in L.A.... This was back in 1980 and I know him a lot better than I know you. "

OK, you know him better than we do. But, he simply doesn't know the law, either of the UCMJ or any jurisdiction of the US.

I've unfortunately been the passenger in an accident in a taxi & on a mo'cyc taxi. The mo'cyc one was very minor (we didn't even fall off) & the driver of the car involved & the mo'cyc guy sorted it out between them, completely ignoring me.

The other was more serious. The taxi driver hit 3 girls on a bike (taxi driver's fault) knocking them off & severely injuring one. She tried to drive off & I tried to get out & stop her fleeing. She did eventually stop & when the police came they flagged down a baht bus for me & put me on it. No questions or hassle for me, at all. The taxi driver later came to my house, wanting me to appear in court for her. I refused, saying that I would tell the truth, which could only hurt her. I know everyone advises to get out of there, but I'd only been in Thailand for a month & was completely outraged that she'd hurt these girls & was trying to flee.

In both cases, I was virtually ignored & sent on my way.