Non O retirement extension

Hello, my sister who lost her job one year ago, so lost her work permit, change for 1 year extension based on retirement. She used an agent who could manage the 800k on her behalf...(don't ask me details...).

Now, her time extension renewal come (12 August) and she was about to use the same agent. However, the agent just came to her saying that it won't work this time (this is in Phuket).

As she doesn't have 800k, she is stuck.

There is a solution: I have 800k and can transfer to her account anytime but I understood that the 800k will need to be 2 months before the application date and as her current extension expired on 12 August, i believe it work. What solution if she has to wait 2 months before applying for the 1 year extension?

Thanks

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, jphasia said:

There is a solution: I have 800k and can transfer to her account anytime but I understood that the 800k will need to be 2 months before.......

That won't work.

For her extension prior to Aug 12 she would require to meet the financial requirements for the previous 12 months.

She has not. 

BTW she has left it with 12 days on current permission of stay.

Short term solution is to exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt or tourist visa.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The 800K money needs to be in there for three months AFTER as well, and after that at least 400K, so even aside from the short date, this plan is not going to be at all good. 

Are there any offices outside Jomtien that apply this 'rule' (and I haven't seen it in rule 22 - retirement - on the Thai Immigration website),

Jingthing - genuine question - do you actually turn up for the allotted appointment after 3 months?

22.Visa Extension - In the case of retirement

Criteria for Consideration

Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

Must be 50 years of age or over.

Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or

Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.

An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

Documents to be submitted

Application form

Copy of applicant’s passport

Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or

Account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook

Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4 stated above.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

Just now, hotandsticky said:

Are there any offices outside Jomtien that apply this 'rule' (and I haven't seen it in rule 22 - retirement - on the Thai Immigration website),

Jingthing - genuine question - do you actually turn up for the allotted appointment after 3 months?

22.Visa Extension - In the case of retirement

Criteria for Consideration

Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

Must be 50 years of age or over.

Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or

Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.

An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

Documents to be submitted

Application form

Copy of applicant’s passport

Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or

Account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook

Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4 stated above.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

There might be a few other.

I did turn up before but this year didn't. 

Generally the "after" rules are enforced upon the NEXT extension application.

My theory is that Jomtien does this to cover their asses that they have done all they can to inform the elders that this rule is real in terms of the NEXT extension. 

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That won't work.

For her extension prior to Aug 12 she would require to meet the financial requirements for the previous 12 months.

She has not. 

BTW she has left it with 12 days on current permission of stay.

Short term solution is to exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt or tourist visa.

I see. So her solution could be that i put 800k in her bank account now. She exit Thailand to Vietnam for example (as i work in Vietnam), then apply for a new Non O in the Thai Embassy, return to Thailand and within her Non O period apply for a new extension?

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

genuine question - do you actually turn up for the allotted appointment after 3 months?

Jomtien is one of very few offices that ask to view bankbook 3 months later.

In any event it's irrelevant as the whole 12 months will be examined to see if compliance was done.

Also the case at Jomtien.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Jomtien is one of very few offices that ask to view bankbook 3 months later.

In any event it's irrelevant as the whole 12 months will be examined to see if compliance was done.

Also the case at Jomtien.

Indeed.

My point  -  the 3 month appointment is pointless.

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The 800K money needs to be in there for three months AFTER as well, and after that at least 400K, so even aside from the short date, this plan is not going to be at all good.

Perhaps move to Pattaya, apparently Shangri La for using agents brigade?

Understood. If i put 800k in her bank account, it will remain there "forever"

2 minutes ago, jphasia said:

I see. So her solution could be that i put 800k in her bank account now. She exit Thailand to Vietnam for example (as i work in Vietnam), then apply for a new Non O in the Thai Embassy, return to Thailand and within her Non O period apply for a new extension?

That should work.

Not sure where you are thinking for the new non O in Vietnam but Saigon has a helpful efficient Thai consulate.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jphasia said:

Well if used for continuous non agent extensions it can be spent down as low as 400K during seven months of the year.

But didn't you already miss the chance this time as far as the two months before rule for 800K?

2 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Many folk using money in bank method just leave it in bank year round.

You are required to have funds remain in bank for 3 months after application then not below 400k and back up to 800k two months prior to following extension application 

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Indeed.

My point  -  the 3 month appointment is pointless.

Exactly.

People that don't bother with the 3 month "come back Freddy" face zero consequences.

There are couple of other offices that play this game. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That should work.

Not sure where you are thinking for the new non O in Vietnam but Saigon has a helpful efficient Thai consulate.

Thanks. Yes I work and live in Saigon (when i am not in Phuket)

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

in his opening post his agent said they couldn't do it, there must be others

Yes, that's what my siste used to do. But it seems that something change in Phuket immigration and the agent said it won't work this time

4 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Yes, that's what my siste used to do. But it seems that something change in Phuket immigration and the agent said it won't work this time

As others have mentioned she could have used agent from elsewhere.

Pattaya very popular.

The stamps will be done up country. 

The reason for my quip earlier is that only 12 days left on current permit is too short. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Cool.

Please report back about how the O visa application went there.

I will. What i know so far is appointment is required now in Thai consulate in Saigon to apply for visa.

1 minute ago, jphasia said:

I will. What i know so far is appointment is required now in Thai consulate in Saigon to apply for visa.

I guess my between the lines point on that is that they always have the discretion to reject such applications. Perhaps you should research a bit on how to approach that application that increases the chance of success. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, jphasia said:

That's new.

Is apply AM and pick up next day PM possible? 

Can't imagine where they conduct the appointment.

That joint is an oversized telephone box. 

Edited by DrJack54

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly.

People that don't bother with the 3 month "come back Freddy" face zero consequences.

There are couple of other offices that play this game. 

Last year I was one of those Muppets who dutifully returned on the appointment date.......I won't be doing that again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

That's new.

Is apply AM and pick up next day PM possible? 

Can't imagine where they conduct the appointment.

That joint is an oversized telephone box. 

Yes, I actually went to the Thai consulate last May to enquire for visa for myself and they didn't allow me to enter. They show me the circular that appointment is now require and you must go to their website to request appointment. I then proceed appointment few day later (end of May) and the first available date was beginning of July. I proceeded it but later cancelled it as I had other obligations for my work.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jphasia said:

If Immigration stopped doing that it would be massive, I'm sure we'd hear a lot more noise on here by disgruntled expats