3 Phase Surge Protector

UWEB

Want to get in each of my 3 Phase Breaker Boxes a Schneider Surge Protector installed. How to chose the right size? One Panel has a 100A Breaker installed, another one a 80A Breaker and two other ones 60A Breakers. My Electrician knows how to install but don't know how to chose the correct size. Any suggestions?

Generally the biggest capacity (kA) available that will fit and you can afford, the breaker size doesn't make any difference.

I'm assuming you will be using Schneider plug-in arrestors. If you intend putting your arrestors in external DIN boxes please let us know.

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Generally the biggest capacity (kA) available that will fit and you can afford, the breaker size doesn't make any difference.

I'm assuming you will be using Schneider plug-in arrestors. If you intend putting your arrestors in external DIN boxes please let us know.

I have the same 3 phase Schneider setup as you.

I changed from the Schneider arrestors to DIN mounted ones as the Schneider are too expensive.

I changed after a near lightning strike took out the 3 arrestors which would have meant a B6000 odd replacement.

Opened up 1 arrestor and there was about B100 worth of electronics in it plus sand.

I'd respond to Crossy and go the DIN way. ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

Thank's for the Information, indeed I will use the Plug In Type as part of the Schneider System I have installed.

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

I have the same 3 phase Schneider setup as you.

I changed from the Schneider arrestors to DIN mounted ones as the Schneider are too expensive.

I changed after a near lightning strike took out the 3 arrestors which would have meant a B6000 odd replacement.

Opened up 1 arrestor and there was about B100 worth of electronics in it plus sand.

I'd respond to Crossy and go the DIN way. ????

Thank's for the Information, but will go for Schneider as I'm luckily in a situation that cost savings are not the top priority for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UWEB said:

Another Question came up today if I need a Surge Protector for Neutral Phase as well additional to L1-L3.

Crossy would know for sure, but I think it's wise to install one for the neutral as well. 

Can't remember exactly but it could be difficult to install in that Schnieder box.

Just on costs: Probably wouldn't happen, but if you had a sever storm and lots of lightning over a week, you could potentially replace the surge suppressors 3 times in that week for a cost of B 12000 odd.

10 hours ago, UWEB said:

Another Question came up today if I need a Surge Protector for Neutral Phase as well additional to L1-L3.

If your supply is TNC-S with a neutral-earth link in your box then there's no need (Just L-E x 3), if you are TT then a device N-E is advisable.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If your supply is TNC-S with a neutral-earth link in your box then there's no need (Just L-E x 3), if you are TT then a device N-E is advisable.

Hey Crossy, question time please?

I did notice a while ago you put up a pic. of your DIN surge protector installation and had one on neutral and live. I thought then 'why have one on neutral?' So your system must be TT?

I also thought that the reason to have one on neutral could be that  with a close lightning strike the ground conduction cannot dissipate that large voltage immediately, so for an instance the ground would be at a very high potential and active, neutral and earth could be at diiferent high voltages so installing a surge protector on neutral could be a good idea.

Thinking too much?

2 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Hey Crossy, question time please?

I did notice a while ago you put up a pic. of your DIN surge protector installation and had one on neutral and live. I thought then 'why have one on neutral?' So your system must be TT?

I also thought that the reason to have one on neutral could be that  with a close lightning strike the ground conduction cannot dissipate that large voltage immediately, so for an instance the ground would be at a very high potential and active, neutral and earth could be at diiferent high voltages so installing a surge protector on neutral could be a good idea.

Thinking too much?

We are actually TNC-S but the run out to the solar is quite long and the solar is actually a TT island hence the 2-pole arrestors.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I have to ask my Electrician as I have no idea about electric Installations, and I guess it's better to make a picture once the Panels are completed. That's going to happen within the next two days.

Just now, UWEB said:

I have to ask my Electrician as I have no idea about electric Installations, and I guess it's better to make a picture once the Panels are completed. That's going to happen within the next two days.

If it's a new installation it should be TNC-S so the 3 pole unit should be good to go ???? 

• Like 1

In an MEN system, we would normally cover just the 3 incomers as the Neutral is grounded anyhow at the MEN link.

In Thailand however, who knows what connection you (or others down the street) have on the neutral.

There are four pole units available.