Thailand’s dangerous road status confirmed – again!

webfact

Comment after comment based on personal anecdote prejudice and perception

People just don't realise that because they are stressed by the different driving conditions in Thailand, they decide the it's everyone else but themselves so they assess driving as "dangerous".

they then chip in with personal prejudices and anecdotes about "fortuner drivers" "pickups" etc as if this is evidence when in reality you are LESS likely to die in a 4-wheeled vehicle in Thailand than in the USA. But they fell "comfortable" driving in the USA.

Then there is the false perception that the "denser" the traffic there "dangerous" it is.....

Remember the plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes" not data

Edited by Thunglom

9 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

What I find amazing is that the USA is the third worst. South Africa is the worst. Thailand is the 2nd worst and the USA is the third worst. Crikey!

You underline the misconception quite clearly.

At "home" people feel comfortable when driving - in a different environment, they feel more stressed and often put this down to other drivers rather tan themselves.

The statistics show that  you are MORE likely to die in a 4-wheeled private vehicle in the USA than you are in Thailand.

9 hours ago, Excel said:

I must be lucky in all my years here I have never seen a female motorcyclist cause an accident that I witnessed.  You must have witnessed many such accidents to make that post of yours.  So exactly how many accidents caused by lady motorcyclists did you witness exactly and did you stop to help at any time ?

I have seen several female motorcyclist accidents while living in Thailand. My first observation was on my first visit to Thailand twenty years ago. I was standing on the curb waiting for a Baht bus when a female motorcyclist without a helmet with a five year old child standing on the floorboard crashed into a soi dog that ran across the street. The child miraculously did not get killed and was able to stand up after the crash. The mother, I presume, was thrown in the back of a pickup truck and moved to a hospital. I do not know if she lived. I have witnessed many more female accidents after.

11 minutes ago, Screaming said:

I have seen several female motorcyclist accidents while living in Thailand. My first observation was on my first visit to Thailand twenty years ago. I was standing on the curb waiting for a Baht bus when a female motorcyclist without a helmet with a five year old child standing on the floorboard crashed into a soi dog that ran across the street. The child miraculously did not get killed and was able to stand up after the crash. The mother, I presume, was thrown in the back of a pickup truck and moved to a hospital. I do not know if she lived. I have witnessed many more female accidents after.

The earlier comments were made accusing female motorcyclist of causing accidents, not simply having accidents that you described. So like the other poster ( whom has not yet offered any comment to justify his accusation ) I will ask you how many times have you witnessed a female motorcyclist causing an accident ?

A couple of factors contributing to the USA rank:

1) Americans own the most cars per capita

2) Many of them don't know how to drive properly in snowy/icy conditions. Using the 'rocking method to get unstuck is something they're not familiar with.I personally know examples of this.

As a Canadian it's second nature how to handle driving in wintery weather.

11 hours ago, mikesil said:

The leaders in each category:

• Types of roads where most accidents happened:
  • – Straight-ahead roads without slope (70%)
  •  
  • Types of accidents:
  • – Overturning on or skidding off straight-ahead roads (43%)
  • – Rear crash (31%)
  •  
  • Causes of accidents:
  • – Violation of speed limit (78%)

This says it all.  There's no highway patrol.

There is a teaching academy for police officers in Nakhon Sawan. Apart from collecting some sort of tea money, I wonder what they teach them.

It is certainly not anything about upholding law and order.

6 minutes ago, Canuckluck said:

A couple of factors contributing to the USA rank:

1) Americans own the most cars per capita

2) Many of them don't know how to drive properly in snowy/icy conditions. Using the 'rocking method to get unstuck is something they're not familiar with.I personally know examples of this.

As a Canadian it's second nature how to handle driving in wintery weather.

America is not #3 in most dangers road status....  The article has completely mislead its readers.

In the article itself, of the 56 countries listed there are 21 other countries with higher deaths per 100,000 of population. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

There is highway patrol, I see them daily with vehicles pulled over on my commute to and from work up and down the 7 motorway.

What you should have posted is there is not enough highway patrol.

Funny where on 7, in Pattaya I've only seen them parked at the station!????  Need more where is everyone going to park?

Just now, thailand49 said:

Funny where on 7, in Pattaya I've only seen them parked at the station!????  Need more where is everyone going to park?

I work near the airport. so between Pattaya and there.

Saw 3 different overloaded pickups pulled over on my commute home just now... two pulled by car one by bike.

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I work near the airport. so between Pattaya and there.

Saw 3 different overloaded pickups pulled over on my commute home just now... two pulled by car one by bike.

Great need more but here in Pattaya my experience many of these driver hound and practice their crafts on the back roads of smaller Soi,  that is where the problems starts. They can make a mint If they actual knew what to do setting up a tent playing with their phones is the best they could come up with. ????

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Disappointing as Thailand always want to be the first in the world.. A second place is not good.. 

But second place in what category,  me thinkks they were rate the worst Cuntries and Thailand was second worst....

21 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Great need more but here in Pattaya my experience many of these driver hound and practice their crafts on the back roads of smaller Soi,  that is where the problems starts. They can make a mint If they actual knew what to do setting up a tent playing with their phones is the best they could come up with. ????

The post I replied to are about highway patrol.

They do not patrol back roads and smaller soi's so not sure why you have singled me out to whinge about them to me.

Monday I had to drive to BKK on M7 the rain and spray was reducing vision down to about 75mts the worst driving conditions i've seen for many a year, most driving at 60 kmh with lights on, but quite a few driving with no lights and still wanting 120 kmh, and the non use of indicators just urks me.  Pathetic drivers here.

12 hours ago, mikesil said:

The leaders in each category:

• Types of roads where most accidents happened:
  • – Straight-ahead roads without slope (70%)
  •  
  • Types of accidents:
  • – Overturning on or skidding off straight-ahead roads (43%)
  • – Rear crash (31%)
  •  
  • Causes of accidents:
  • – Violation of speed limit (78%)

This says it all.  There's no highway patrol.

Would highway patrols stop these speeding pick ups on straight roads overturning or skidding off straight roads? 

I think not, the patrol must be there BEFORE the accident happens and stopped the offending driver.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Have you ever driven in a big American city?  Quite dangerous.

Americans are quite lousy drivers technically but friendly and understand everybody needs to get in or out. Changing lanes is not a problem. I was driving 46 yrs in LA and no problem. Plus thousands of miles in Western US.

Drunk drivers and drug uses may be the biggest problem?

I'm very surprised US is so high on the list and don't buy it.

In Europe they are damn aggressive! No considerations to any one. It's "me first".

Technically they are good drivers and cars are in good condition thanks to yearly safety inspections. No LA style "doorless" cars driven by amigos...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The post I replied to are about highway patrol.

They do not patrol back roads and smaller soi's so not sure why you have singled me out to whinge about them to me.

No one single you out have you forgotten it takes two. 

I glad that they are pulling drivers over on HWY 7 for infraction but I don't feel there need to be more. As noted the problem is off the HWY where they pick up all the bad habits prior to getting onto 7, plus since the 7 was extended in Chon Buri I never seen anyone ever being pull over not meaning there should be more.

The resources should be placed locally on the local roads not more on Hwy7, that is what they spend millions on cameras to do. 

12 hours ago, Excel said:

I must be lucky in all my years here I have never seen a female motorcyclist cause an accident that I witnessed.  You must have witnessed many such accidents to make that post of yours.  So exactly how many accidents caused by lady motorcyclists did you witness exactly and did you stop to help at any time ?

Stop and help? How long have you lived in Thailand?

You should know that foreigners must not get involved. Call and ambulance and you get liable for the ambulance and hospital bills.

• Sad 1