Chiang Mai Car Rental

Greenside

Anyone have any recommendations before I phone North Wheels who have a couple of promotions of 1.3/1.5 manual cars (Avanza and Soluna, I think) for 800 - 900 bht per day? I need something suitable to do a CM-Surin-Nong Khai-CM trip over six or seven days. Those NW prices include "comprehensive insuracne" with a 5000 bht excess.

Stick with Northwheels, their manual Avanza goes well... ideal for family/loads of luggage. May be worth checking out Budget though as they have newer cars and sometimes offer promotional prices.

master car rental got some good promotions going on at times. just rented a huge commuter for 3 nights last week. they had a buy 2 get 1 free promotion sometime in feb which i grabbed. but worth checking them out too. 053203332. Right at PTT gas station opposite immigration dept at airport road.

and then there is THai car rental that advertised in the GURU magazine today if not mistaken. Promotions going on as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to wrap this up: I ended up renting a Toyota Avenza from North Wheels who were very efficient and will deliver and pick-up at your home too. I'd never heard of this model (a mini MPV with a 1.5 engine) but it did 2500 km in the week and was perfect for the trip. Seemed to run on 95 Gasohol OK and was OK on consumption. Unless you're planning to take a very heavy load, I'd recommend it.

Stick with Northwheels, their manual Avanza goes well... ideal for family/loads of luggage. May be worth checking out Budget though as they have newer cars and sometimes offer promotional prices.

Where is Northweels and can I rent a car with just my stateside driver's license?

• 3 months later...

@Bungalow Bill

when renting a car, they never ask for any driver license. But officially ,unless you have a Thai license, you need an international driving license. But I doubt whether a regular traffic policeman is able to recognize the difference between an american and an international driving license.

Sometimes I wonder, whether there is any traffic police at all. :o

Edited by cnxmike

Before going with NW, try CJ Car Rental right in Tha Pae Rd, 100 mts away from Tha Pae Gate. I had a car with NW for a couple of days and actually wanted to renew my rental contract for a month, but CJ Car Rental made an offer 4000 Bahts cheaper for a better and newer car.

NW seems to prefer renting out very used and worn down cars.

Before going with NW, try CJ Car Rental right in Tha Pae Rd, 100 mts away from Tha Pae Gate. I had a car with NW for a couple of days and actually wanted to renew my rental contract for a month, but CJ Car Rental made an offer 4000 Bahts cheaper for a better and newer car.

NW seems to prefer renting out very used and worn down cars.

Where is bungalow bill?