Medical tourism? Right, double-charging foreigners!

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

overcharged in comparison to what - foreigners are not entitled to Thai 30 baht medical care... why should they be... the medical tourists come here because care is usually both cheaper and better than back home. 

This is their choice... 

I think I'm a foreigner, and when I worked here and had a work permit, I was in the B30 scheme.

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Many guys especially ones further up this thread are happy with dual pricing, they like farang pricing, sad but true.

Good luck with the lawyer i hope you follow through with it, need someone with balls rather than the roll over merchants

There are too many roll over Guys, and that is why the situation is as bad as it is with dual pricing.

If more people kicked up a storm more often then things would change

Its the roll over Guys that have nurtured this practice, and everybody has to suffer

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

I have an idea. Go to Australia (without eligible to claim this condition under any insurance) and see what such treatment would cost you there? Oh, and you'll get far les genteel, kind, sweet, and attentive care in Australia too by the way.

What’s this thread got to do with Awwstralia?

13 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Dentists are cheap

The problem is with his ear. ????

15 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I likely won't be getting any refund or apology but perhaps they may rethink this dinosaur policy to benefit the next foreign patient.

You might just be getting your hearing back... be grateful.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Soon after I arrived to live in Thailand I had to consult a dentist, who told me I had to have three teeth extracted. I thought not, left, and 30 years later I still have those teeth. Dentists might be cheap, but they can scam the same as anyone else here if there's money to be made.

Closer related to hospitals, a friend of mine was feeling very sorry for himself and felt in need of some TLC, and he made up a story that he had suffered whiplash in a taxi accident and was taken to a hospital. They not only confirmed a non-existent neck injury but produced an x-ray of it and said he needed to stay in overnight for observation.

Right so 100% are crooks?

Lol

Only had good dentists. I could see the bad teeth

7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You get nice weather for free on the Gold Coast, QLD 

Sure, no problem. Do your medical tourism there then. No obligation to go to Thailand. If it was me, I would not like to have Ukuluende Akebajazevung with a cutting knife. ????

Double  pricing  for foreigners means that all non Thais pay 100% more for medical  treatment at hospitals.

Can anybody  prove  this? I don't believe  this is true.

Whatever the cost my insurance  company  has to agree  first!

So the OP is saying that my insurance  company willingly pays twice the amount for me compared to my Thai friend with the same  condition?

I doubt  that very much.

Anyway- it's not  my business  what other  people pay. Its not my concern.

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Right so 100% are crooks?

Lol

Only had good dentists. I could see the bad teeth

Who wrote that 100% are crooks? What I wrote was that dentists can scam the same as anyone else. If you think that means 100% of dentists scam then you have poor perception skills or deliberately twisted my words to say something I didn't.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Who wrote that 100% are crooks? What I wrote was that dentists can scam the same as anyone else. If you think that means 100% of dentists scam then you have poor perception skills or deliberately twisted my words to say something I didn't.

Ive never been scammed. You can feel the tooth. If no pain do nothing.

9 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I smell a lot of apologists replying here. Sure, medical care is cheaper in Thailand than in the West. That a corrupt court or tourism promoter says it's 'legal', that's much different than 'fair'. Human bodies are all warm whether Thai or foreign & must be treated the same.

I smell whingers and whiners who expect  equality of treatment but do nothing themselves to promote or offer  such treatment.

Surely the price people pay should  be based on ability and income. Americans and Europeans have greater incomes so should pay more.

When a Thai pays in Europe or America they are paying  a greater proportion of their income so they  should pay less.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I smell whingers and whiners who expect  equality of treatment but do nothing themselves to promote or offer  such treatment.

Surely the price people pay should  be based on ability and income. Americans and Europeans have greater incomes so should pay more.

When a Thai pays in Europe or America they are paying  a greater proportion of their income so they  should pay less.

I will tell them im poor

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Double  pricing  for foreigners means that all non Thais pay 100% more for medical  treatment at hospitals.

Can anybody  prove  this? I don't believe  this is true.

Whatever the cost my insurance  company  has to agree  first!

So the OP is saying that my insurance  company willingly pays twice the amount for me compared to my Thai friend with the same  condition?

I doubt  that very much.

Anyway- it's not  my business  what other  people pay. Its not my concern.

Unfortunately its true... but not 100%...

In Government Hospitals, charing non-Thai’s more is now state-sanctioned - there are even notices stating such. 

In private hospitals there is also a double-charging system.

My wife had a minor procedure last year...  Cost was approximately 65,000 baht (one night spent in hospice).

Initially she was quoted that the charge would be +/- 40,000 baht.... 

When she provided her international Insurance card the price increased.

She was told that the initial price was for self pay or Thai Insurance. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Unfortunately its true,... 

My wife had a minor procedure last year...  Cost was approximately 65,000 baht (one night spent in hospice).

Initially she was quoted that the charge would be +/- 40,000 baht.... 

When she provided her international Insurance card the price increased.

She was told that the initial price was for self pay or Thai Insurance. 

Why sad? You didn't  pay..The insurance  company  paid. The problem  would be if insurance  companies refused to pay foreigners' medical bills.

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I only go if pain

Me too. I had pain but knew I certainly didn't need three teeth removed. So I didn't. If the dentist thought I did then he was a very poor dentist or was working a scam and wanting to remove healthy teeth to make money. As I said, 30 years later those 'bad' teeth are still there and working fine.

19 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

"Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of differences in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic and social standing, religious belief, education, or political view which is not contrary to the provisions of the Constitution or on any other grounds, shall not be permitted."

See the word "unjust" and then how they interpreted it. You can bend it any which way you like.

Dutch expat to appeal after Thai court sides with higher hospital fees for foreigners:

In its judgment, the court said that it did not see that as discriminatory – because the higher rates charged of foreigners, who it presumes earn more than Thais, is good for the nation.

"my" government did the same. They were looking for police men, but they had to be from another race. other then standard Dutch.(white cheese heads). They called it "positive discrimination", yha right.  

It is the same with the word "work" in Thailand, they can interpret it anyway they want. 

3 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

You’re either naive or….. wait, I’ll leave it at that.

Double  charging means charging someone a hundred percent  more. That  does not exist. I challenge  you to show me examples  of of foreigners  being charged  DOUBLE. Fees quoted in links to this  thread indicate  10 -15% NOT 100%.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I had sudden onset deafness in my left ear. After exhausting the steroid remedies & ruling out a brain tumour

I got the same unblocktheplanet... (do people have to have 16 letter names)

Mine is not complete deafness-- about 60-70% I htought it was water , as they syringed some out.

Got treated with Antibiotics..(yer Issan, everything is cured with Antibiotics up here) what is the steroid treatment.

Brain Tumor--wow hadn't even considered that one---can that be cured with Antibiotics...............:w00t:

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

There are too many roll over Guys, and that is why the situation is as bad as it is with dual pricing.

If more people kicked up a storm more often then things would change

Its the roll over Guys that have nurtured this practice, and everybody has to suffer

no, they'd just refuse treatment and kick you out. then you can take them to court and the court will side with the hospital a la the famous case from Hua Hin. 

and if all you supposed hard men banded together and started agitating en masse I suspect jail time and/or deportation would be in order. maybe a few would lose an eye in the protests a la Penguin. maybe a few would have mysterious motorcycle accidents or fall off of low-railing balconies as is the farang's wont.

it's a rigged game. you will not win.

10 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I smell a lot of apologists replying here. Sure, medical care is cheaper in Thailand than in the West. That a corrupt court or tourism promoter says it's 'legal', that's much different than 'fair'. Human bodies are all warm whether Thai or foreign & must be treated the same.

Not all private hospitals charge foreigners higher rates, I can quote two in Chiang Mai one of which I have dealt with for over ten years.

If I am an apologist so be it but preferable to being a bigot.

• Like 1