Medical tourism? Right, double-charging foreigners!

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Double  charging means charging someone a hundred percent  more. That  does not exist. I challenge  you to show me examples  of of foreigners  being charged  DOUBLE. Fees quoted in links to this  thread indicate  10 -15% NOT 100%.

WRONG: You have taken the phrase ‘double charging’ literally and in doing so are either being obtuse.

In this case... the phrase ‘double charging’ is the same thing as ‘dual pricing’....  it means one party is charged a different price than another, or there could be a whole range of tiered prices depending nationality or other factors. 

In the context of this thread and pretty much everywhere else the phrase ‘double charging’ pops up with regards to ‘foreigners paying a different price’ its does not mean being charged twice .... the English for that would be ‘charged double’ !!!

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Think bigger picture - it puts up our premiums !

But the Thais  are paying less so it reduces our premiums!

I never get excited about the fact some  people are paying less than me. Didn't Aseop write a fable about this  kind if jealous anxiety about a dog and a manger?

9 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

overcharged in comparison to what - foreigners are not entitled to Thai 30 baht medical care... why should they be... the medical tourists come here because care is usually both cheaper and better than back home. 

This is their choice... 

There is no DOUBLE charging. Its a myth.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

WRONG: You have taken the phrase ‘double charging’ literally and in doing so are either being obtuse.

In this case... the phrase ‘double charging’ is the same thing as ‘dual pricing’....  it means one party is charged a different price than another, or there could be a whole range of tiered prices depending nationality or other factors. 

In the context of this thread and pretty much everywhere else the phrase ‘double charging’ pops up with regards to ‘foreigners paying a different price’ its does not mean being charged twice .... the English for that would be ‘charged double’ !!!

Nope. Double charging means exactly that. TWICE the amount. You could use alternative  phrases such as 'over charging' but that is  relative.

There is no double charging of foreigners in Thai hospitals. This thread is predicated on a false assertion.

15 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:
25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Think bigger picture - it puts up our premiums !

But the Thais  are paying less so it reduces our premiums!

I never get excited about the fact some  people are paying less than me. Didn't Aseop write a fable about this  kind if jealous anxiety about a dog and a manger?

You have gone full on apologist: 

The Thai’s are paying the going rate at hospitals.

Foreigners and foreign insurance companies are paying more and the hospitals are not passing this profit on to its customers as savings. 

Hospitals are not ’non profit’ organisations, when they are doing better they don’t reduce their costs to customers.

You seem to believe the Hospitals are passing on the additional profits from dual-charing foreigners and foreign Insurance companies on to their Thai Patients and Thai insurance company in the manner of ‘discounts’....  you are wholly naive. 

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nope. Double charging means exactly that. TWICE the amount. You could use alternative  phrases such as 'over charging' but that is  relative.

There is no double charging of foreigners in Thai hospitals. This thread is predicated on a false assertion.

Then you are getting hung on on semantics... 

Double Charging in the context of over charing foreigners doesn’t mean charing exactly twice the amount. 

That said, in another contexts such as that of receiving a double charge on your credit card bill means being charged for the same thing twice, exactly double. 

You have suffered from a failure to both grasp context and understand that phrases are not solely restricted to the use you understand. 

if one has spare time and does not mind waiting long, best option is to go to see public hospital doctor as the cost is unbelivably low.  for private hospital, it seems the various tests recommended and medical pills charged by private hospitals will cost and surprise you more  than simply the doctor consultation fee. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Hyperbaric O2 treatment is vastly different from a portable oxygen generator.

For 1 unless you are rather less intelligent than you seem you will not be using 100% O2 without medical supervision as 100% O2 is an extremely corrosive gas that without intervals of air breathing will leave permanent scaring. 

So no reputable O2 supplementation will use more than 30%

Also, in reply to @internationalism, Navy hospital won't bargain. First treatment today, 10 Thai fogeys who all paid. All sorts of conditions, I was the only guy in for deafness. The idea is to gamble pressure (2.4 atmospheres) plus 100% oxygen for two hours 10-20 times.

After seeing the prices at private hospitals for shorter sessions, I just bit the bullet. I'd prefer to hear so keeping my fingers crossed & spending the money.

11 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Isn’t it just so typical that if you want to attract medical tourists then blatantly let it be known you’ll overcharge them.

unless you consider what they would have to pay back home, which is obviously much more and that is why it is worth it to come as well as better care... 

12 hours ago, jesimps said:

That was quick. Only third post of the thread to get a smug, patronising "If you don't like it here you should leave" post.

It was an intellectually lazy reply. We all have the right to complain. Especially when it comes to dual pricing. Nobody really likes it. It is just something we tolerate. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Double  charging means charging someone a hundred percent  more. That  does not exist. I challenge  you to show me examples  of of foreigners  being charged  DOUBLE. Fees quoted in links to this  thread indicate  10 -15% NOT 100%.

If I really had nothing better to do I’d willingly accept your challenge. Fortunately I have a life.

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

no, they'd just refuse treatment and kick you out. then you can take them to court and the court will side with the hospital a la the famous case from Hua Hin. 

and if all you supposed hard men banded together and started agitating en masse I suspect jail time and/or deportation would be in order. maybe a few would lose an eye in the protests a la Penguin. maybe a few would have mysterious motorcycle accidents or fall off of low-railing balconies as is the farang's wont.

it's a rigged game. you will not win.

You should have taken out medical insurance- the game is only rigged for people who are ill prepared. You messed up. You didn't earn enough money but you  are pretending you are on a moral crusade.

10 hours ago, internationalism said:

looks, like he has no tumor diagnosis or any other illness. Trying first a cheaper option, readily available, to check what effect it will have, than getting one with potential serious side effects, should be a better option.

No home oxygen generator makes 100% o2, no need for it. I think max is 93% and at low volume around 1 litre per minute (that can be stored in a special plastic/balloon coming with the compressor). 

I have briefly checked on HBO and oxygen therapy for cancer, and looks like it's not used on it's own - rather supportive to chemo and radio. Also HBO can used after radio to lessen side effects

You clearly have no concept of the difference between hyperbaric oxygen therapy and and non pressurised oxygen supplementation, the generation of O2 or use of bottled O2 makes little difference to the actual concentration of O2 delivered. In the hyperbaric chamber O2 can be delivered with a 100% concentration if required, and will require support staff to treat oxygen toxicity if it occurs. This is possible at levels over 1.6 bar.

Atmospheric oxygen supplementation will never use more than 30% (just possible  ~ 40%) it is just ridiculously dangerous without constant supervision 

hyperbaric oxygen therapy Has many more uses than the few you mentioned. That is not my area of expertise, mine is in the area’s of helium and nitrogen solutions and not getting frothy blood.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

THai people have no idea of the money of foreigners.. They believe all foreigners are superrich... But I told them that in Europe we have to pay a lot of taxes and everything is much more expensive than here in THailand. 1000 euro in Europe is nothing, but here in Thailand it is enough to live of.. But that doesn't mean that foreigners are rich... But the Government is feeding the idea with their uneducated minds that are still living 60 years back..... Thailand must enter 2022 and stop living in the past and investigate before saying things

no offense or else but just want to know

is it more expensive where you are from? do you have social security or insurance? if no, how you can stay and live in thailand?

the numbers you wrote are.. really not that much for something needs a very special treatmenh, and you  are talking about some really special equipment. I dont think you can find this equipment in every hospitals in Europe or in the USA too. the equipment you are talking about is around 5000-6000 usd

I also really understand it is not cheap if you dont have the money, and i respect that. I have been there in my life. And health is money. Sorry for that. Who ever said money cannot give you health is the biggest lier. But for a very special equipment 40-50K is nothing. I know some people paid 100K or 400K for something not even important as your case. 

And i rally hope you will get well soon

Edited by problemfarang

13 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'd been coming to LOS since 2009 (specifically came for medical dental tourism) and every year since.

I live here now as a retiree with great international health insurance.

I've had 4 colonoscopies in that time, dozens of dental procedures (some quite large and complex), medical check-ups etc, and was always charged very reasonably and given the very, very best of care compared to Australia.

This 13 years of care always, by far, exceeded the care I have had in my home nation of Oz and experienced anywhere else in the world. 

Same me here...UK.

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

THai people have no idea of the money of foreigners.. They believe all foreigners are superrich... But I told them that in Europe we have to pay a lot of taxes and everything is much more expensive than here in THailand. 1000 euro in Europe is nothing, but here in Thailand it is enough to live of.. But that doesn't mean that foreigners are rich... But the Government is feeding the idea with their uneducated minds that are still living 60 years back..... Thailand must enter 2022 and stop living in the past and investigate before saying things

What are you talking  about?

Do you know any Thai people?

Can you speak  Thai and understand  the news or what the government  is telling them?

Have you ever been to Thailand?

Where are you from

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What are you talking  about?

Do you know any Thai people?

Can you speak  Thai and understand  the news or what the government  is telling them?

Have you ever been to Thailand?

Where are you from

I probably understand them more than you if i read your comment. There is a big gap between Thai and foreigners

Edited by ikke1959

19 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You should have taken out medical insurance- the game is only rigged for people who are ill prepared. You messed up. You didn't earn enough money but you  are pretending you are on a moral crusade.

LOL I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not on a moral crusade at all, just stating facts. I don't have beef with the dual-pricing at Thai hospitals, or anywhere else for that matter. it's part of the landscape so we just deal with it. doesn't make us soft like the other dude said.

and yes, private health insurance alleviates all (most?) of those issues. I'm not covered quite just yet, it's on my to-do list, but I have sufficient funds to self-insure in the meantime. 

got any tips on the best broker to use? ????

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2022 at 10:24 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Hyperbaric O2 treatment is vastly different from a portable oxygen generator.

For 1 unless you are rather less intelligent than you seem you will not be using 100% O2 without medical supervision as 100% O2 is an extremely corrosive gas that without intervals of air breathing will leave permanent scaring. 

So no reputable O2 supplementation will use more than 30%

What rubbish. Might as well just breathe air!