Thai Airways.

BarraMarra

From their website (didn't you look?)...

In accordance with the directives set by the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand, masks must be worn at all times on board our flights and at Thai Airports, and the use of face masks with ventilation valves is not permitted".  

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_GB/plan/travel_information/travel_requirements.page#:~:text=In accordance with the directives,covering when flying with us.

Food, service, that's subjective, there'll be people commenting here that it's all <deleted> just because it's a Thai entity!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You need to wear a mask throughout the flight.

Having recently flown out of Heathrow and gotten COVID in the  process I strongly  recommend you wear a mask in the airport as well though not required and most people don't.  And use hand sanitizer etc.  Pretty impossible to keep distance from prople. Unless it has improved in past few weeks, that airport is a chaotic mob scene. Allow extra time...a lot of it.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are OK now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

I am flying EVA in Dec/Jan coming but only because they were cheaper than Thai for premium

There's another news item in this newsletter announcing the recommendation that Thai airlines avoid Taiwan airspace.  My favourite airline for LoS (from North America) is Eva Air, but the latest buzzing around TW by the Chinese Air Force makes me hesitant (at least on this particular day) to book with them at the moment. 

Edited by blazes

I flew from LHR to BKK on 18th July at 1230.

Mask wearing was advised but not compulsory.

About 25% were wearing them.

Took about 90 mins to get through check-in etc to my bar seat.

1 meal after take off and 1 before landing.

2 choices for 1st meal,Hobsons choice for breakfast

Absolutely nothing else offered at seat for the duration of the trip.

However,snacks and drinks were available from the galley on request.

Got through BKK immigration in 5 mins.

All desks manned but hardly a passenger in sight.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Thai airways gets a lot of bad press but I've now flown from the UK to Thailand eight times and always with them - the flight times suit me and I'd rather "support" them than the often cheaper ME airlines.

Lang haul in economy is a chore no matter who you fly with but this was my most recent trip just before take-off from LHR - the most painless flight that I've ever done in my life!

IMG_20211002_181433810.jpg

Oh Yeah, It's GREAT on any Carrier when the cabin is EMPTY Like that.....Once Flew LHR-BKK On a BA 747-400 With only 80 Pax on board & That was absolutely perfect for me !!

8 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Thai airways gets a lot of bad press but I've now flown from the UK to Thailand eight times and always with them - the flight times suit me and I'd rather "support" them than the often cheaper ME airlines.

Lang haul in economy is a chore no matter who you fly with but this was my most recent trip just before take-off from LHR - the most painless flight that I've ever done in my life!

Was that recently?

Terrible for the airlines bottom line.

Great for a passenger on a long haul flight. 

Agree with others. Much prefer flying direct with Thai to the ME carriers, and at the moment Thai are cheaper.

Food is better on main meal, breakfast though ,  is seriously lacking in taste/quality but same can be said with all the others. 

Plus 3-3-3 seating.

flew from CPH a couple weeks ago, masks required to be worn on flight but noticed many didnt

Flew in April (Heathrow was alright then) with Thai and had an enjoyable flight. Don’t get the bad press. Good times and price, direct, food alright(ish), nice stewardesses. Stops in Middle East with those fancy carriers? Not anymore thanks. 

• Like 1

Only flown them once internationally - business class paid with premium miles, absolutely super experience. That was 2012. But even back then these threads were full of how bad Thai was.

2008 flew them domestically business class several times, when they were operating the A330s with C cabin. Also most enjoyable. Always found the crews helpful, welcoming and friendly.

Flown Thai BKK-LHR-BKK the last two trips because EVA wasn't flying due to Covid, and Thai were the only other non-stop option.

Flights were OK. Mainly due to the fact they were half empty, so I could  stretch out and sleep across three seats. Aircraft interiors looked a bit jaded. Passing through business class, it didn't look a patch on EVA's.

I much prefer EVA for their service, new aircraft and departure/arrival  times. Been using them for almost thirty years. They are owned by a large Taiwanese conglomerate, so less chance of going bust.

Depart BKK after midnight. Landed in London on Thai at 6am, and hotel room not available until 2pm wasn't nice after a long journey from Samui via Bangkok.

EVA normally departs BKK at a more civilised 13:50 and arrives LHR around 18:30 or 19:30 depending on time of year (time difference). Get to hotel in the evening,c heck in and sleep.

I have the option of flying Birmingham (my nearest large airport)-Dubai-BKK with Emirates or Heathrow-BKK with Thai. I really would like to avoid the chaos at Heathrow but have never flown with a ME carrier. What would you do?

15 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Hi all im flying into Bangkok with Thai from Heathrow to BKK never flown with them before few pointers gents. Service, food.etc do you need to war a mask cheers.

I flew back in early July on TG and masking was not compulsory. Or rather, in Thai the announcement said "must wear" but in English it said "recommended to wear". I and many others didn't wear a mask and cabin crew said nothing. Didn't wear one at the airport either (both LHR and BKK).

If you're flying on a 777 that is way better than the tired 787 Dreamliner. AFAIK the 777 is used on the midday LHR departure while the 787 is the evening flight.

Food is dire, movies are poor (and on 787 the screens are fixed to the seat back so if the person in front reclines their seat all the way you have to do the same to see the screen). 

But it is direct. That said, now EVA are flying LHR-BKK again, I'd always choose EVA over TG.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

and gotten COVID in the  process

Were you vaxxed? And hopefully not a bad case?

my niece recently got it from school - no fever, just a sore throat... and she was home w/me for 10 days and I did not catch it... we are all 3x vaxxed here... 

I gave up eating airline food (including Thai Airways) many years ago. Generally don't like the taste and strongly dislike eating cramped up. I bring a pack of chips because sometimes I crave something salty during long flights. Instead I eat something at the airport before the flight and have a meal at my destination (not at the airport).

15 hours ago, London Lowf said:

You lucky lowf

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Were you vaxxed? And hopefully not a bad case?

my niece recently got it from school - no fever, just a sore throat... and she was home w/me for 10 days and I did not catch it... we are all 3x vaxxed here... 

Fully vaxxed and boosted. And was able to get Paxlovid as I'm in US now. 

First 24 hours was like a nasty flu but as soon as Paxlovid kicked in was much better.

Now fully recovered except for tiring more easily.

Unfortunately infected my 90 year old aunt & uncle before I knew I had it. They too were fully vaxxed and started Paxlovid within hours of first symptoms do did well.

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Fully vaxxed and boosted. And was able to get Paxlovid as I'm in US now. 

First 24 hours was like a nasty flu but as soon as Paxlovid kicked in was much better.

Now fully recovered except for tiring more easily.

Unfortunately infected my 90 year old aunt & uncle before I knew I had it. They too were fully vaxxed and started Paxlovid within hours of first symptoms do did well.

sorry abt your aunt and uncle - - keep well.

The last two flights I took before covid hit were in December 2019.  I had made an unexpected trip to the US for my mother's funeral and had to make hasty travel arrangements.  I left to return to Bangkok on Dec. 23rd.  The first leg was Lufthansa from Dulles to Frankfort on a 747.   I remember just before takeoff a big group of college students on the flight flying home for the holidays sang Christmas carols.  Nice.  The flight was packed.  Service and food were both fine.

The airport at Frankfort wasn't.   I expected a lot better.  Unimpressive and I had to take a shuttle bus from one terminal to another one.  Freezing cold, drizzly, and we had to wait and wait until enough people had boarded that we were packed in like sardines before the shuttle would take us to the other terminal.  I likely would have missed my flight had I had a tight connection.  Perhaps I was spoiled by the wonderful airport at Seoul--which I had stopped at on my flight to America.  Changing planes there was a breeze.

The flight from Frankfort to Bangkok was on Thai, on an A380, my favorite jet.  I had been assigned a window seat--which I hate because you usually have to disturb 2 other people when you need to get up.   I asked the staff if they could switch me and they were able to move me from the lower level to the upper level, to an aisle seat in a row with just 2 seats.  This flight was almost fully-booked and the staff was nice to make the change for me.

This was my third time flying on Thai.  People complain but all three flights were fine.  The food and service were good.  The flights left and arrived on time.  No complaints.   Sometime afterwards, I wondered if I had flown my last flight on a 747 and A380--hope not for the latter.

The horrors (and perils) of Heathrow aside, my flight BKK-LHR was OK. It was a Boeing 787-8  and rather small plane, and full to capacity, so not great in those terms but what can one expect. I suspect with fuel prices like they are, the airlines are using the smaIlest plane necessary for the passenger load.  was in Business class, service was OK, food (vegetarian) was OK. Nowhere near the caliber of Korean Air (which is what I normally take to US) but I have no  particular complaints...and certainly worth it not to have a stop over.

Actually the arrival in LHR was OK it was departing through LHR that was a nightmare (and literal petri dish).

11 hours ago, dastott said:

I have the option of flying Birmingham (my nearest large airport)-Dubai-BKK with Emirates or Heathrow-BKK with Thai. I really would like to avoid the chaos at Heathrow but have never flown with a ME carrier. What would you do?

I have often flown Thai direct to Europe, as well as Emirates with stop in Dubai.

I have to say that the 3-5 hours stops in DBX in the middle of the night really put me off by now, but that of course is a personal choice. Or one could decide to have a real 1-2 days stop, they offer packages for that and Dubai has enough attractions for a first time visitor.

However, now that Thai doesn't flight direct to my home country anymore, I have tried others. Lufthansa (and sister companies) will probably shuttle you from Birmingham to one of their hubs and from there direct long-haul to BKK. Good connections, good prices, a bit soulless service but overall quite ok. They also have Premium Eco which is softer on your knees and wallet.

Also I have heard ok reports from friends using Finnair.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1