VPN Locations

lelapin

I have been using Surfshark VPN for a while and have noticed that in the last week, Thailand has been removed as one of the locations you can link to. Does anyone know why this has happened and if it affects anything when using it?

If you are in Thailand(?) what would be the attraction to use a Thai VPN? Little to none.

NordVPN also has a Thai VPN server.

It can only be of interest to show up as being in Thailand (geolocation).

There is no effect on other VPN locations.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I use Surfshark but I connect to a US location (needed for a particular website I use).  I'm guessing you are not in Thailand, if you are then not sure why VPN is needed to connect to a Thailand server.  Suggest using a nearby country (Singapore) and see if that works.  I contacted the online chat and this is what they said "As I can see we had some issue with maintaining the server there, as for now we have turned it off."

He didn't have an estimate of when it would be turned back on.

• Like 1

I am located in Thailand,

I have recently been getting messages like this when trying to access my normal websites like Lazada, Facebook, BBC sports.

image.png.baf8e49de9d0b2eb3a3bf44a60c3469f.png

When I switch to my Surfshark VPN, all is OK. This problem has coincided with Thailand being removed from my list of locations and I was therefore wondering if there was any connection between the two.

I thought that there may be some sites like my bank or Lazada that would query if I was connecting to them from a country other than Thailand.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you are in Thailand(?) what would be the attraction to use a Thai VPN? Little to none.

The purpose of a VPN is not only to put yourself in a different location, but to encrypt your traffic.

If you select a server inside the country you are located, that should give you the least speed lag, but not sure if the latter is true in Thailand.

If I enable a VPN in another country, Lazada will each and every time require an OTP sent to my email or by SMS, before I can log in

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peterfranks said:

The purpose of a VPN is not only to put yourself in a different location, but to encrypt your traffic.

Yes, but how many sites have been left that do not encrypt anyway?

And encrypted traffic to a server in Thailand?

What kind of security do you expect in a country where there is basically no protection from government surveillance?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, lelapin said:

I have recently been getting messages like this when trying to access my normal websites

A site like www.bbc.com is safe and encrypted. Can be accessed with a Thai IP.

Facebook giving this error message? No way.

Bypassing the trouble message with a VPN just covers a problem with your device or browser.

4 hours ago, lelapin said:

I thought that there may be some sites like my bank or Lazada that would query if I was connecting to them from a country other than Thailand.

That is well possible, although it would need to be checked individually site by site.

Of course many sites do geoblocking (BBC Sports sounds like).

There seem to many posters who manage their Thai bank account from abroad and no word about Thai VPN server.

So no general statement is possible.

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2022 at 1:03 AM, KhunBENQ said:

f you are in Thailand(?) what would be the attraction to use a Thai VPN? Little to none.

Privacy. 

VPN's are not just used to have a local IP address to get around geo-blocking.  VPN's also mask your IP address from the websites you visit.  

Being in Thailand, and using a Thai VPN server, should be a slightly faster connection than using a server many thousands of kilometers away.