Pelosi’s disastrous legacy

webfact

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I was being nice. Plus a lot of politics is the "sitting on your <deleted>" kind of work.  And it is at least a starting point. 

Another thing I would be in favour of if it were workable is some sort of anti-nepotism law.  No political dynasties allowed.  Gotta skip a generation before going into politics again. So no Bush senior-junior.  No wife taking over a congressional district for her husband. No Bill-Hillary connection. No Trudeau Sr-Jr in Canada. It is too close to what dictatorships do to keep power in their own select families, like the Kims in North Korea. 

And no Pelosi in Congress, with her father being in congress and then Baltimore mayor, followed by her brother being mayor.  

Get some new blood in there!  I don't think the Founding Fathers ever envisioned a professional political class taking over the country.

I agree with the new blood comment. There should definitely be term limits for all elected positions. Only that will prevent the sense of entitlement which afflicts all those who hold political office too long.

Meantime, even in Trump's time there was no indictment of Pelosi for anything.

Edited by ozimoron

2 minutes ago, candide said:

So Trump employing his family, without any particular qualification, was bad. Good to know! ????

Yes, I agree completely.   Luckily they were at least halfways competent, but no reason for family to be in politics.  Would I be right in assuming you also agree about Pelosi then? Or the Clintons? The Bushes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I am 50 50. Stand up to China but the position is well known and no need to rattle the cage just for the sake of it. 

I am agreed. There are better ways for the US to confirm it’s’ support of Taiwan without stirring up more problems.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Yes, I agree completely.   Luckily they were at least halfways competent, but no reason for family to be in politics.  Would I be right in assuming you also agree about Pelosi then? Or the Clintons? The Bushes?

Well, at least, Pelosi, etc... got elected (ok, It's not necessary a proof of being competent). I don't think having dynasties dominating politics is a good thing, whoever is concerned. The problem is more how to legally do it, I.e. I am not sure it would be allowed by the U.S. constitution.

15 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

How is coke head halfway competent?

• Like 1

Read this from the Gov. UK site; (headline) The UK and G7 partners have issued a statement on preserving peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait

I didn't think that the PLA would shoot the US Speaker Pelosi's plane down because they would have faced some pretty heavy stuff from US military already in the region. Also any action by the Chinese will only make Taiwan support more entrenched. We have all be given to understand that Pres. Xi intends to 'unify' during his office so I didn't really think that a visit by any western diplomat would make a lot of difference.

I did wonder where Thailand would stand (as well as other countries having close ties with China) and what would happen to the western residents should the worst happen.

30 minutes ago, John Drake said:

My guy good! Other guy bad!

Well, you yourself admitted than Trump didn't achieve much.

It's not just my guy/other guy, It's a true issue.

China is playing the long-term strategic card. They have been slowly and consistently acting in the same directions years after years, 5-year plan after 5-year plan... Only a response at the same strategic horizon can be effective against them. Short-term and highly visible decisions such as tariffs are useless. Pelosi's initiative is highly visible and may have a short-term impact, but is also useless on long-term.

It's too early to assess whether Biden's initiatives will be successful or not, but he surely addresses the right strategic issues: trade and development, military, and industrial.

Edited by candide
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

This is the most important question for those of us living here. For years now, things have been on a slow boil making life increasingly more dangerous for Americans and Europeans in SE Asia. Had Xi managed to cancel Pelosi's trip indirectly through appealing to the Pentagon generals or Biden or directly through threats, our position would have been degraded. It may not have been a tipping point, but it would have been a landmark leading to one. I just hope that Pelosi has in fact united a bipartisan position against Xi in the US. BTW, let me hasten to add, that I like China and the Chinese. You could even say I'm smitten with their history. But their leader is a totalitarian dictator who wants to turn the world into a mirror image of his surveillance state. I don't want that.

While I agree with you about Xi's desires, where has Chinese influence in SE Asia made life more dangerous for Americans and Europeans in SE Asia? What evidence is there that they are being targeted? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, candide said:

Well, you yourself admitted than Trump didn't achieve much.

It's not just my guy/other guy, It's a true issue.

China is playing the long-term strategic card. They have been slowly and consistently acting in the same directions years after years, 5-year plan after 5-year plan... Only a response at the same strategic horizon can be effective against them. Short-term and highly visible decisions such as tariffs are useless. Pelosi's initiative is highly visible and may have a short-term impact, but is also useless on long-term.

It's too early to assess wether Biden's initiatives will be successful, but he surely addresses the right strategic issues: trade and development, military, and industrial.

Not only did Trump not achieve much, he essentially was counterproductive when everything was said and done. Whatever you think about "strategy," to me the most fundamental part of any US strategy should be to stop PLA linked Chinese state owned enterprises from raising capital in the US. And as for the Quad you allude to, I believe that began under Trump. Unfortunately. Because I have misgivings about India's role in it. I think India is as much or more of a threat to the US over the long term than China. I know I'd much rather live with Chinese than Indians any time. So I don't trust the Quad at all. Yes, Trump's discarding the TPP was perhaps the biggest mistake he made in foreign policy. And I hop Biden indeed is able to resurrect something through his Indo Pacific Economic Framework. I wish him success because I'm an American and it's in my personal interest that he succeed in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Nancy Pelosi is far from being the first politician to make an official visit to Taiwan (since 1976).  

Newt Gingrich, U.S. House Speaker then, visited Taiwan in 1997. Asked what he thought of China's recent threats, he called them a 'bluff'.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I was being nice. Plus a lot of politics is the "sitting on your <deleted>" kind of work.  And it is at least a starting point. 

Another thing I would be in favour of if it were workable is some sort of anti-nepotism law.  No political dynasties allowed.  Gotta skip a generation before going into politics again. So no Bush senior-junior.  No wife taking over a congressional district for her husband. No Bill-Hillary connection. No Trudeau Sr-Jr in Canada. It is too close to what dictatorships do to keep power in their own select families, like the Kims in North Korea. 

And no Pelosi in Congress, with her father being in congress and then Baltimore mayor, followed by her brother being mayor.  

Get some new blood in there!  I don't think the Founding Fathers ever envisioned a professional political class taking over the country.

No Kennedy dynasty

No mayor Daley in Chicago

"Pelosi will go down in history as one of the greatest statesmen the US has even had. She has the guts to make to clear to China that Taiwan is and always will be a sovereign nation. That she does this at her age speaks volumes and condemns those weak politicians who don't have what it takes."

OR............ maybe she was   "sent" to create a diversion from the  Blundering Biden Buffoon show..  heck we all know the dems like to wage conflict

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

While I agree with you about Xi's desires, where has Chinese influence in SE Asia made life more dangerous for Americans and Europeans in SE Asia? What evidence is there that they are being targeted? 

Sometimes you have to look for subtle shifts in things. Other times, statements about racial solidarity (such as a certain government minister saying Asians are cleaner and Westerners are infection sources) make things more explicit. And the willingness and eagerness to jump on that bandwagon by certain segments, such as Thai conservatives siding with Russia and blaming the US for Ukraine, is something that would not have happened here 15 years ago--although it would have happened right after Vietnam 47 years ago.

More fundamentally, look at what is going on in education. "International schools" in Thailand used to mean instruction in English. Increasingly, it's Chinese now (or at least it was in 2020 when I last taught and gave talks at Thai universities, before the Chinese exodus). Entire departments of Chinese have been imported in the space of a few years. Funding and exchange programs had altered their targets to China as well. I could go on about this for pages. But unless you've been a teacher as well as an administrator in a Thai university, you would not be aware of the drastic changes that have occurred. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1