Did the Reading of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, and Tom Wolfe's account of Ken Kesey's Merry Pranksters, Motivate Your Move to SE Asia, or, Just, ASIA? In the beginning? Post 1968?

54 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

When I worked in China, they were poor.

They are STILL poor. 

Only, less poor. 

It would have been impossible for a Marxist-Leninist Communist regime to lift the peasants out of poverty without the help of market-driven economies in the Western World. 

China has been selling it's cheap labor to the world, for decades. 

And now, this cheap young labor is drying up. The population pyramid in China is against them. 

The CCP is totally corrupt. 

The CCP will surely die. But the question is, will the Chinese Revolution, started by Mao, now controlled by Xi, become the unanticipated, by some, source of our destruction. 

Mao's legacy, even after so many years, may be to destroy our world... Talk about a revolution! 

I don't know about you, but I think that...

Democracy is the best we have.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

33 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Conrad hailed from Poland.

This reference to keeping pigs together does not mean quite the same thing in English as it might in Polish.

Maybe this is a reference to a Polish idiom?

You tell me, please.

One of my favorite lines from " <deleted> of the Narcissus "

Don't know why but in the context of the story it really stuck with me. Great Novel . ( most of his are )

Yes , from Poland but with a mastery of English that puts most of us to shame. Reading his books I often kept a dictionary near for the occasional ' never heard of that word ' moment.

Favorite book .....Nostromo. Although , like Huckleberry Fin ,

( another ripping yarn ) the author clearly ran out of steam at the end and the last chapter or two left the reader thinking

' Is that it ' ? After building things up brilliantly they both wound things up in a hurry not worthy of the preceding chapters.

I thought this was just my opinion but subsequently found out that many critics thought the same.

We have been fighting the deleted since before Vietnam.  Think Korea.

Even the Chinese on Taiwan have been fighting them, along with us.

By US, I guess we mean people from Australia, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and everyone who is against restriction of freedom and democracy.

If you wish a more nuanced approach to this topic, please feel free to check with Chomsky.  Chomsky is The Man!

(My apologies about the TERRIBLE music.  Please do not click.  Terrible is not even the word for it.) 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

22 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

My photo from Hubei Province 1989:

Hubei 1989.jpg

Anyone with a bicycle, in China, years ago, was considered to be wealthy. 

Nice photo. 

Thank you for sharing this. 

But, still, if truth be told, the CCP is responsible for delaying China's economic progress by, at least, two decades. Or, is this just a matter of opinion? 

56 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Anyone with a bicycle, in China, years ago, was considered to be wealthy. 

Nice photo. 

Thank you for sharing this. 

But, still, if truth be told, the CCP is responsible for delaying China's economic progress by, at least, two decades. Or, is this just a matter of opinion? 

Thanks. One of the few photos I still have. I haven't been there in over 20 years and not in Hong Kong since the takeover -- so there are better people to discuss all this than I am.

Sad to see Saint Globule going down the never trust a hippie road.

My wife was a hippie and got her start in show biz by following The Grateful Dead on tour in the 80's selling black bean burritos for a dollar.

Tie dye is still a big look in Appalachia. Often topped off with a MAGA hat.

That Trump didn't go for pot legalization was nuts. When I looked at the Trump dating site for laughs, it was about 50% ads stating 420-friendly. Obviously, those were male ads. There were practically zero female ads.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:10 PM, jerrymahoney said:

Thanks. One of the few photos I still have. I haven't been there in over 20 years and not in Hong Kong since the takeover -- so there are better people to discuss all this than I am.

Don't sell either yourself or your photography short, by any means.

I really enjoyed your photo.

And, I spent quite some time looking at it, for what this might be worth. 

On 8/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, LaosLover said:

Sad to see Saint Globule going down the never trust a hippie road.

My wife was a hippie and got her start in show biz by following The Grateful Dead on tour in the 80's selling black bean burritos for a dollar.

Tie dye is still a big look in Appalachia. Often topped off with a MAGA hat.

That Trump didn't go for pot legalization was nuts. When I looked at the Trump dating site for laughs, it was about 50% ads stating 420-friendly. Obviously, those were male ads. There were practically zero female ads.

MAGA Hat?

Thank you for teaching me a new vocabulary term.

You see, of course, that, unlike you, I have never really LIVED in America.

You lived (live) in America.

But, I never lived until I came to Asia.

Do you get the difference?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 8/8/2022 at 11:49 AM, zzaa09 said:

Wavy Gravy is still my hero.

The good old days.

Who stole from whom?

Wavy Gravy or The Mamas & The Papas?

Give me a break, Man!

Anyway....no matter who stole from whom, still such really disgusting music, which should be first derided and then buried for all time.

Edited by GammaGlobulin