Thailand among the top 10 countries for expats

webfact

image.jpeg

By Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand is among the 10 best countries for expats, according to the annual Expat Insider Survey carried out by InterNations. 

The latest ranking sees Thailand move up to 8th place from its 14th place ranking in 2021. 

The survey gauges expat’s satisfaction with life in their country of residence across various different factors, such as: Quality of Life, Ease of Settling In, Working Abroad, and Personal Finance.

In addition, this year’s survey included a new Expat Essentials Index which assessed people’s satisfaction with their Digital Life, Admin Topics, Housing and Language.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-news/thailand-among-the-top-10-countries-for-expats/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-08-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bendejo said:

UAE is #6 ?

What the , , ,  ?

https://www.internations.org/expat-insider/

"In 2022, close to 12,000 respondents shared what it’s like living and working far from home. Together, they represent a total of 177 nationalities and live in 181 countries or territories."

The survey mostly targets people working in foreign countries in senior positions, not low class retirees living on welfare.

UAE would be quite attractive in this aspect, AFAIK the tax rate is zero there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Unfortunately only one side of the coin.

Where is the safety aspect?

Crime?

Violence?

Road safety

Corruption?

For me, Thailand's rank would be just in the middle over all.

And it's true. The best country is Portugal. After selling my/our house here I'll move there.,????

It's a side of the coin I have never seen, apart from petty scams even Blind Freddie could see coming. None of those issues have impacted me personally. In 12 years here.

I suppose it comes back to the aphorism if one goes looking for trouble, they will find it.

Portugal would no doubt be nice, it's just too far away for this Aussie.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's a side of the coin I have never seen, apart from petty scams even Blind Freddie could see coming. None of those issues have impacted me personally. In 12 years here.

I suppose it comes back to the aphorism if one goes looking for trouble, they will find it.

Portugal would no doubt be nice, it's just too far away for this Aussie.

Your right. If you're looking for troubles you can get it everywhere.

I spent half a year in Portugal with my motorhome during Covid. It's really my first choice in any aspect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So in your eyes, retirees living on their pensions are low class.

Shallow as a mud puddle.

Meh..I haven't defined and shaped up myself today's divided class based society.

https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/family-finance/articles/where-do-i-fall-in-the-american-economic-class-system

Thailand is very nice for retired expats but not so nice for working expats. They should separate those two out into different stats. 

About Mexico, it has a large number of things going for it but the cartels are scattered thru out the country. You are a 1000 times more likely to get into serious trouble in Mexico than Thailand. Yes there are safe places in Mexico and many expats never see the cartels but that does not mean they do not exist. They are a serious factor always lingering in the background e.g. if you want to make trip to another town in your car you have to plan ways to get around the cartel. That is real. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, gearbox said:

https://www.internations.org/expat-insider/2022/country-ranking-factors-40277

Look at the methodology....there were 12k respondents,  900 of them from Germany, most likely people working there.

There is no apples to apples comparison, another pointless, self serving and misleading survey.

Agree, and goes with all these silly surveys.  But at least TH isn't #1, or top 5.

Prior to and after retirement, my 'research', and more about cost & visa ease, and I was leaning toward Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Czech Rep, though not in any order. 

That's if leaving the USA, and FL was top / only choice, due to RE, tax, beaches, and familiarity of the state.  Hurricane season was the deciding negative factor.

No regrets with TH as choice, though ??? if I'd repeat.  Relative to RE pricing in 2000, so irrelevant.  If much younger I might change locations, but not at 67 years old, and quite settled here, with new house, and very happy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

Mexico #1? Ha. I would have retired there 25 years ago but the drug cartels and the associated violence killed that(pun intended). I don't think much has changed. 

If you have no interest or business with that, the chance that that would have any influence over your life overthere would be close to zero. Mexico isn't a bad choice to retire in. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Finally one we can almost agree on, in top 10.

Mexico #1 makes sense, with USA & Canada so close and the obvious choice for them.

Indonesia # 2 ... hmm

Taiwan ? ... my ignorance shines

Spain/Portugal ... for EU/UK crowd

Spain and Portugal are not what they were years ago. Like the rest of Europe flooded with riff raff and that will not change for some generations to come.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rimbuman said:

If you have no interest or business with that, the chance that that would have any influence over your life overthere would be close to zero. Mexico isn't a bad choice to retire in. 

So true.  You can nitpick any location, as all have their negatives, but if you aren't involved, then irrelevant.

Read the news & op-eds, and you'd never visit the USA without a kevlar suit.  Or expect to be approached by hookers all day & nigh in TH.

Only thing to worry about, is if 'kidnap' insurance is required in any country ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbuman said:

Spain and Portugal are not what they were years ago. Like the rest of Europe flooded with riff raff and that will not change for some generations to come.

Proximity and familiarity rules with many when thinking about retirement.  FL, Mexico, Caribbean, topped due to holidaying there.

SEA, not even a thought of, until an off chance visit to TH, then had to rethink everything.  South of the border (USA) was definitely tops, since I was fluent in Spanish (high school), and would take about 6 months to remember most of it.

• Like 1