Thailand among the top 10 countries for expats

webfact

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Many Thais seem to think so...

the problem with Thai's is that they don't understand that most expats living over here are better educated and far wealthier than most Thai's.  to them Thailand is the center of the universe.  they never learned to think critically

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Maybe nothing much has changed, but perhaps your perception of Mexico is a bit limited.  There are areas of Mexico off the Narco Trail that are not riddled with drug cartels.  I left Thailand (Jomtien) in 2020 for Merida, Mexico which is routinely the #1 or #2 ranked "safest city in the Americas" (usually alternating with Quebec City.)  It's a city of ~1 million people and no cartel activity and minimal police corruption.  About a half-hour from the beach, which actually I think keeps more people from emigrating here.

With the caveat that for US/Canada expats that a major benefit is being physically close to "home," yeah Mexico does have some attractiveness for retirees.  Partly because I still own a Jomtien condo, I'm thinking of splitting my time between Jomtien & Merida, mainly out of boredom/complacency than anything else.  Climate is virtually the same, with the exception of Tropical Storms and an occasional hurricane in the Yucatan.  Food and other culture, of course, are dissimilar, although the friendliness of the locals is similar.  Mexico is still fairly economical.  I liken it to when I first moved to Thailand in 2001.  e.g.  I recently had to visit the emergency room of a (good quality) hospital recently and the total cost for two hours there was US$60 (~THB2,150) and an Uber cross-town is about US$3.00 (~THB110.)

I just got back from Merida. I would not want to call it home personally but it was safe.  

Edited by Gknrd

1 hour ago, Wrwest said:

Thai female cinched the decision 

The chickie factor not really a deciding factor for myself.  Though many here, it seem to be the #1 reason, cheap P4P.  

Never had a problem in that department, and could actually have done without a few.  6 live ins, on #4 now, with more than a few 1 night/weekend/week long adventures.

Any country with income disparity is going to be chickie friendly to the retired expat.  Just have to decide between risky, everyday, live in, married or not ... or go with the P4P / pay to leave gals ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Archie Baker said:

Absolutely correct Portugal is the no.1 place to be. Look at surveys by the professionals who deal with retirement. 

Thailand was safe and cheap but not any more. 

I would venture that housing and now certainly domestic energy bills and gasoline are significantly cheaper in Thailand,as would be eating out and hotels? Apart from the roads safety pretty good here too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

the problem with Thai's is that they don't understand that most expats living over here are better educated and far wealthier than most Thai's.  to them Thailand is the center of the universe.  they never learned to think critically

Their perception of wealth is terribly narrow and ill informed. It’s limited to what they see you showing off . Investments,pension plans and that you might still have a house worth £several hundred thousand (or more) in your home country are completely invisible to them. 

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Many Thais seem to think so...

I'd suggest more likely a minority of wealthy HiSo's, IMO the majority of the population would be envious. Most of the Thais I know are.

When the Thai government gives out a measly 600 baht/month in pension at age 60, and I get 47,000, they would be.

Personally, I don't care what Thais think of my social status. It's when foreigners start putting their noses in the air because they have money I start asking if their s##t doesn't stink.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

The chickie factor not really a deciding factor for myself.  Though many here, it seem to be the #1 reason, cheap P4P.  

Never had a problem in that department, and could actually have done without a few.  6 live ins, on #4 now, with more than a few 1 night/weekend/week long adventures.

Any country with income disparity is going to be chickie friendly to the retired expat.  Just have to decide between risky, everyday, live in, married or not ... or go with the P4P / pay to leave gals ????

You get hire prostitutes in many Countries though , Thailand isn't the only Country which has prostitutes , actually, there are very few Countries in the World where you cannot pay to have sex 

31 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Not everyone never had a problem in that department.

That's why there's a P4P market.  Guessing Thai's pricing & experiences with, are much better than other countries.   Western countries at least, where income disparity isn't so wide.

My only experience, here or ever, was a week on holiday here.  Bliss & cheap as chips.  Every other holiday I've ever taken, I took companionship with me.  

P4P experience was very eye opening for me.  And I thought I was already very 'worldly'.  That was one soi I never ventured down ????

Knew it existed, just never bothered.

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

You are very worldly as you routinely let us know.

Well I did work for 4 different airlines, and main reason was for the flight bennys.  If not, I probably would have never left the continental USA, or venture much further than the Delaware Valley area (Philly metro, PA, NJ, DE, MD. 

Which TBH, certainly wouldn't be a negative, since having most things one needs, except decent or excellent diving.  Did hang around the Americas though, so not sure how worldly that is.   Only venturing EU once, and that was enough, and TH, twice.  Just didn't leave the 2nd time  ????

• Like 1

Croc  Yes Indonesia number number 2.  Can't understand that.  What a dreadful country. Rains ever day after 3:00pm.  Isn't it 95% Muslim?  All those gowned-up ladies. Not for me.  Perhaps Bali is the exception but Ceuta is unwelcoming I found. Jakarta is a constant traffic jam.  Just my experience.

well I always planned to retire or certainly semi retire there right after my first trip in 2004 I was hooked. There have been so many changes that I don't like, but still, I am on my way soon for some extended stays.  A full expat?  Not likely as I have to pretty much pay for USA medicare and I am not going to give up my full USA presence. 

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

I looked several years (14) ago and I thought it was $1000. Could easily have been wrong. I think Mexico is a good place to live.

It could well have been $1,000 back then.  The amount is determined each year.  It is a calculation based a multiple of the minimum wage of Mexican workers and includes the MXN:USD exchange rate.  Since I've been following it (2018), it has steadily increased each year.

There is a less expensive "Residente Temporal" ("temporary") status that is renewed annually for four years, and in the fifth year can be converted to Residente Permanente.  I can't find the figure now, but I think even that is above US$2,000/month currently.

***Just found a government page for the Residente Temporal income qualification (https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/houston/index.php/tempresvisafinsolvency) and it appears to be ~US$2,500/month to qualify.

Edited by wpcoe
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 4:42 AM, gargamon said:

Mexico #1? Ha. I would have retired there 25 years ago but the drug cartels and the associated violence killed that(pun intended). I don't think much has changed.

This, in a nutshell, is everything.  

I agree with this guy.  I only read books on Cartels, see killings in Acapulco, Cancun...seems like deadly killings all day, every day.

Will I google "Is Mexico a great place to retire?"  No, I let the news feed make up my mind.  

We all have our own crazy ideas about everything, and we don't have time to prove ourselves wrong.

People assume they will get shot in America, but in Thailand the locals will help them build their houses, free gf, smiles everywhere, and paradise.  

Until you live there you have no idea.   zero.  none.  nothing.

But I'm still not going to Mexico, yet.   lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Their perception of wealth is terribly narrow and ill informed. It’s limited to what they see you showing off . Investments,pension plans and that you might still have a house worth £several hundred thousand (or more) in your home country are completely invisible to them. 

Best to keep that to yourself also. I have a home in the US worth a few hundred thousand. And with this political climate I will keep it there for my peace of mind. And out of sight of others.

3 hours ago, hwas said:

A number of comments from people planning to move to Portugal. My wife and I recently moved to Thailand from Portugal and could not wait to leave,  I have lived in the US, northern Europe, Vietnam, Portugal and Thailand and travelled to more than 90 countries.  We lived in Portugal for 28 months and rank Portugal at the bottom of the list of places I have lived.

For reference, we lived in one of the best neighborhoods in Lisbon and in Cascais.  I could write pages about the negatives we found, but will only list a few:

1.  The incompetent bureaucracy.  Immigration being months behind in renewing residence cards - read the recent news about Brits having significant problems due to not receiving residence cards.  People waiting more than a year to receive a Portugal drivers license after turning their former drivers license for a temporary license that is not recognized outside of Portugal 

2.  Health care - it may be free or cheap, but this really does not matter when you are waiting more than a year for a hernia operation or weeks to get a doctor’s appointment, even at a private hospital

3.  Cost of housing - For those on a budget, good luck finding a place to rent or buy that is in a livable area.  Also, regardless of the budget expect to overpay.  

There are other reasons why we left, and I really encourage people to do a lot of research before making a decision to move

Your items 2 and 3, along with a number of other reasons, are why I like living in Thailand.  Even your number 1 is not bad here, at least for things I routinely deal with.  Today I got a reminder email from Immigration that my 90 day report is due later this month on the 24th.  I'll renew it on-line in a few days, now an easy process.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Mexico is huge & diverse, for both weather & landscape.  Would be easy to find a place that suits anyone, away from the negatives. 

Yes, maybe you can find somewhere relatively safe. But unless you expect to die tomorrow, you need to concern yourself with what may happen in 5 or 10 years. Who knows what cartel may spring up down the road from your residence. And remember, it's a country where the government is clearly unable to control the criminals, so you can't rely on them.

Five years ago your argument was used about many of the resort areas where murders,  kidnapping, robberies, etc are now prevalent. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 7:00 AM, sawadee1947 said:

Unfortunately only one side of the coin.

Where is the safety aspect?

Crime?

Violence?

Road safety

Corruption?

For me, Thailand's rank would be just in the middle over all.

And it's true. The best country is Portugal. After selling my/our house here I'll move there.,????

Death by bus or bullet? Dead is dead. Or.... Major injuries from a gun shot wound or a car slamming into you. 

Near accidents/death in Thailand are a regular thing on the roads. Near death in Mexico from cartel collateral damage... Slim to zero. 

I've lived in both places 50/50 for 10 years. 

Edited by 1happykamper