Solar - 8kW Hybrid Inverter w/10kWh (upgraded to 20kWh in Sept. 2022) ESS/battery (not DIY)

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

The alternative is to go legal. Doing it this way will at least double the cost of your system and half the rate you are paid for the energy you export. You need to use approved equipment and use an approved installer, there's then a stack of paperwork and a wait (often a very long wait) to get your export meter installed. 

what are the reasons for double the cost?

would it be possible to buy panels, mounting systems, cables, inverters,

breakers, etc. yourself and have them installed by a company?

(like building a house and you only pay the labour costs)

does it really have  to be an approved installer? is there no other way?

the costs for the permit (paperwork etc) itself can't be that high ... or am i completely wrong?

the alternative with batteries is not cheap either ... especially when you consider

the lifespan of batteries! 

Edited by motdaeng

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

What he said ^^^.

The solar installers know they have you over a barrel so they can bump up their costs, expect equipment and accessories to be 40 - 45% of the total installed cost. And yes, they do have to be actual registered contractors, you can't DIY "to code" and get approval, I asked! 

LiFePO4 batteries are significantly more long-lived than lead-acid and keeping them in the 20-80% charge range should put them well into the 8,000 cycles (22 years' worth) bracket before they lose a significant amount of capacity.

Li-ion batteries are too dangerous I don't want a bomb near my home so LiLiFePO4 batteries is the only go for me as I can buy the single cells but I have to import them. is there any trusted LiFePO4 cells or batteries seller here?

my only concern about the LiFePO4 batteries is the working environment temperature that is too high here.

24 minutes ago, indyo said:

Li-ion batteries are too dangerous I don't want a bomb near my home so LiLiFePO4 batteries is the only go for me as I can buy the single cells but I have to import them. is there any trusted LiFePO4 cells or batteries seller here?

my only concern about the LiFePO4 batteries is the working environment temperature that is too high here.

I agree with your sentiments on Li-ion although if they are in a fireproof home away from your house and vehicles there's not really that much risk.

Buying cells on-line is a nightmare, there are far too many sellers with "new" cells that are really used, at least we knew that our cells were used and sold as such. I've also bought 32650 cells from one seller and had good experiences only to buy some more from the same seller and got junk.

There are known good sellers on AliBaba / AliExpress but for best results you need to look at the dedicated solar energy forums, we really have too small a footprint here to maintain accurate and up to the second data.

Our cells live in a well shaded home, we don't push them really hard so battery temperatures rarely climb above ambient.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

LiFePO4 batteries are significantly more long-lived than lead-acid and keeping them in the 20-80% charge range should put them well into the 8,000 cycles (22 years' worth) bracket before they lose a significant amount of capacity.

Yup.

And in addition to that LiFePO4's are quite content to be part charged on cloudy days whereas lead acid will suffer from sulfation which will accumulate over time and kill the battery sooner rather than later. Also best working temperature of lead acid is 25ºC whereas LiFePO4 is 30ºC which is normal for Thailand.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, indyo said:

... is there any trusted LiFePO4 cells or batteries seller here?

Moving on from my earlier comments Shenzen Luyuan are very well regarded on other solar forums and they definitely supply new cells.

https://szluyuan.en.alibaba.com/

I've not bought from them personally, but I've not heard any negative reports.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

if i am not mistaken, someone asked on the forum about the tesla powerwall ...

price starts at 599'000 thb (14 kwh) !!!!!!!!

https://www.solar-d.co.th/en/

20221203.png

Whoa ...

... that's 154k over our whole system's cost, installed, with 18/540w panels.  The power wall also shy a few kW of ESS, 20 vs 13.5.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Ouch!

I can build a 280Ah 48V (13.4kWh) pack using grade A cells and a DIY kit from Seplos for about 2,500USD (95k Baht) and keep the other half million in the bank ???? 

OK the Powerwall does include a 10kW inverter and the management hardware, so add another 50k ???? 

Or you could buy one ready made for 56Kbht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nmc-48v-246ah-125742kw-smart-bms-i3540994257-s13213589046.html

OK, so it's Lithium, but it's also half the price.

16kwhr for 66Kbht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/48v-300ah-smart-bms-150300a-1585kw-i2554477759-s9087152255.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, definitely tempting despite being Li-ion.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

:cheesy:

When I do that I think I will be pestering someone so much that I am the first person who is on there blocklist :whistling:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you want the approved feed in tariff, then buy the smallest system you can from an approved installer, and when it's finished bump it up with another parallel system yourself.

Thing is, what happens when your "3kW" system starts blasting 9kW into the grid?

The authorities here are not totally stupid, despite appearances sometimes.

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

So what you are saying is, when you have a 3kW system they expect something like (example) 40 Units that they have to pay for at the end of the month, but when you then install 6kW system beside it and you feed in 90 units (again example) that they could come and visit?

It's pure speculation on my part, but I would suspect anything much over 400 units exported from a 3kW system in a month (that would mean no local usage) MIGHT trigger an alarm somewhere.

Like you we'll stick with the "unofficial" net metering (and get 1:1 $$$) and expand our storage should an electronic/no-reverse meter come a calling.

• Like 2

an other point to consider:

if you would legally feed into the grid, then you won't spend

big money for an EES! (or would you?)

BUT if there is a power failure at night, you will not have any

electricity, because you don't have an EES ....

that makes also not so much sense, doesn' it?

• Like 1

A lot depends upon your usage patterns and the propensity for the grid to go off.

We have about 10kWh of ESS which I keep above 60% full in case the juice goes off, there's an auto-start genset if the ESS isn't sufficient.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

an other point to consider:

if you would legally feed into the grid, then you won't spend

big money for an EES! (or would you?)

BUT if there is a power failure at night, you will not have any

electricity, because you don't have an EES ....

that makes also not so much sense, doesn' it?

It makes total sense, I am struggling with this dilemma as well, but Yes I would spend money on the ESS why

I don't want to be at the mercy of the PEA because who knows one day they say people with Net metering you only get xx satang instead of (currently 2 THB) for every unit you push into the Net. (don't forget they determine the price)

But even for us (modest users @ 8-10 Units per day) going totally free from PEA would mean an investment of 3-600k THB, which I would do but SWMBO definitely NOT.

I would love to have all our lights on (and aircon working) when there is a power failure and everywhere else is in darkness (how cruel that may sound).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Seems my wife was the only person that called in from both villages we lived in, as they turn it back on within 5 minutes of her calling.   Can imagine the rep thinking ... 

... "Oh Krap ... it's her again" ????

In our village it's still my wife (her name the PEA app is registered to) but I am doing the reporting (in English :whistling:) (something like: Again no electricity in the whole of the neighbourhood)

• Haha 1