Solar - 8kW Hybrid Inverter w/10kWh (upgraded to 20kWh in Sept. 2022) ESS/battery (not DIY)

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Actually have to do something.  Before they drew about 1/2kWh, now pulling almost 2kWh, most from the 24kBTU, as bedroom (13k) is freezing. 

How long do you have your AC running?

And what temperature(s) are they set at?

oops, need to proof more often ... should read March 2023

Steady progression of usage350-763kWh:

image.png.86c1dbea456dff48bc2ece9e783d38fb.png

August 2022, higher only because of exporting (153kWh), which ceased mid month, w/new digital meter.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

What a difference a couple weeks make ...

... turn the heat up ????

Feels like ... HELL

image.png.53cc0a26cdad4ad072c8b7efa265596e.png

Running daily usage since install:

image.png.be49df10cfbff848ef79bfe3f9f4dab6.png

For April, so far, 1st week, averaging 30kWh + a day 

The single digit # after the month, is amount of days we were O&A, locally, or overnight for the month.   Which means AC not running all day, but also means, more going to the EV, so a bit of a wash.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, KhunLA said:

Components of:

DEYE SUN-8K-SG01LP1-EU 8kw Single Phase Hybrid Solar inverter...

So 8 months down the track are you happy with the Deye inverter?

If you were to do it again would you buy the same brand again?

On 4/24/2023 at 8:38 AM, KhunLA said:

Definitely consider a hybrid inverter, at small added cost, so if & when you need to add an ESS, you're already set for that.  Make use of the spin back meter, if using PEA/MEA for overnight use, as long as you can.

I am now doing exactly that... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Wow, what a difference, since heavily overcast now.  ESSs @ 80%, which on sunny day, are topped up by now, if not charging the EV, and that's with ACs on.  Production barely keeping up with consumption, if we turn an (1) AC on.

Produced 7.7kWh, consumed 6kWh since midnight. Now:

Production @ 2kWh +/-

Consumption @ 0.5kWh

ESSs getting 1.5kWh

Guess we're back in conservative use mode.  Outside temp @ 33C , inside 29C, though humid.  Maybe time for that morning shower, and hopefully the water coming out a lot cooler than past week.  I could bake bread without heating the tap water the past week, month.

(edit) ... that feels better, and now it's actually raining, sporadic & light ????️

image.png.119e06f60c428eca92ed11c5555ae2f3.png

Edited by KhunLA

8kWh solar enough to power house, 2ACs (13 & 24BTUs) & the ZS EV.

Goes something like this, in stages, as production increases: car, bdrm AC, main/kitchen AC:

image.png.679c7d1667e72b03035fa57eae7d7821.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few contradicting thoughts.   April & May, more than a few days producing / consuming 40+/-kWh a day. Shy of 1000kWh for April, and might break 1000kWh for May, maybe, if the sun comes back out.

Along with brutally hot, but as long as <42°C, the solar panels top operating temp, then no problem.

How hot .... DAMN HOT, where's raining season & my overcast skies.   Be careful what you wish for.

Yesterday & today, trying to top up the EV, that ain't happening.   With minimal AC use, low temps so don't really need, and baking bread, didn't leave much for the car.

Started at 73%, and only up to 85%.  Didn't even plug in yet today, as not producing enough extra (2.3kWh) and that's with very little running in the house.  When suns out, have plenty of excess for EV before 0900 hrs.

Produced & consumed only 25.9 & 24.2kWh yesterday, and that's with 5.5kWh going to the car.  So back to production/consumption level when first installed, Aug/Sept, of <20kWh a day.  Only because of the EV, we used a bit more.

image.png.ee94e37cf3837be05d3fb5bd52cd20ca.png

Now ... no shadows being cast on the ground, and expecting a bit of rain, just after noon, for a short spritz.  At least the panels will get rinsed off ????

image.png.91194b56943a632c1c175f6d23663341.png

Edited by KhunLA

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike the forecasted La Niña, pending dry, drought year, it's been heavily overcast and raining almost everyday.  Meaning production is same as August 2022, when installed, and we were being conservative.

Yesterday, overcast & some rain, basically no sun, but produced more than enough.  Although, minimal use, as ACs not needed, and no cooking.

Today, still overcast, and wee bit of rain, though sun did pop out a bit, on & off.  So EV (car) topped up, only 10%, and ACs on, since sun warming things up, along with baking bread.  Producing up to 6.5kWh at times, though consuming 5-6kWk at times. 

Today, already produced 20kWh and consumed 16.5kWh.

Yesterday, only produced 14kWh, since needing only 13kWh.  Matching the average daily use for end of rainy season last year, or 15-12-15kWh a day, for Aug-Sept-Oct.

Beginning 5 days of this month, June, before rainy season kicking in, and producing/consuming 30+kWh a day.

So no real surprises with the pending La Niña, good or bad.  We'll be out & about a bit this rainy season, so daily/monthly averages will be kind of useless.  S last week, headed N this week.

Edited by KhunLA

On 2/16/2023 at 10:19 AM, KhunLA said:

Thought on ROI, for our solar system, in conjunction with having EVs.

Someone commented on my signature elsewhere, pointing out, I paid in advance for my energy, correct, but followed with, 'average ROI is 10 to 20 yrs'.  Not sure where or what price he based that on, but certainly not TH.

Out of conservative mode, as our system is more than enough to handle needs now.  Looking at recent numbers, with higher temps and AC use/abuse.

We're averaging, or will, average 20-30kWh a day, if not more during March, April & mid May.  But just using 20-30kWh a day, here's ballpark on ROI.

20kWh X 30 = 600kWh month, PEA cost ฿3223

30kWh X 30 = 900kWh month, PEA cost ฿4942

Need to add the ฿3000 a month, we no longer spend on petrol, so monthly cost, if using PEA & PTT, would be low of ฿6223 & high of ฿7942 monthly.  Divided into cost of our Solar system, which if DIY, would cost less:

฿445k ÷ ฿6223 = 71.5 ÷ 12 = 5.95 yrs

฿445k ÷ ฿7942 = 56 ÷ 12 = 4.67 yrs

So margin of error either way, and looking at a 4-7 yr ROI, not taking into account any consideration of fluctuating prices of electric or petrol.

Before anyone states, 'but you had to buy the EV also' ...

... yes, but the EV comes with a 50kWh battery pack, which would cost about ฿500k if adding that much ESSs to a solar system.  So that surely offsets the extra ฿200k that the EV version cost over the ICE version of the same car, which we owned prior.

After ROI period, everything forward is FREE ????

Hence the 'we save instead of spend' part of statement. You could even say, after 4-7 yrs, 'we're getting paid to have solar & EVs'  ????

I got a quote for a 5kw hybrid system... 400K baht.

400K divided by 3K monthly = 133 months... divided by 12 months = 11.1 years

This is minimal payback parameters... 

41 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

฿400k, that's a bit steep price for 5kw system, and guessing only 10kwh of ESS.   Slow ROI, but if monthly bills run now about ฿3k for electric, worth it in long run.   If staying there in house that long, living that long, or wife/partner will carry on after you move on to next dimension.

Our bills were 3-5k, and then with the EVs, about 3k a month in petrol, we'll recoup ROI fairly quick.  I may even live long enough, but wife will enjoy the payoffs long after I'm gone.

Only 10 months in, but happy with our system, and may want to give our installer a ring/email.  Tell him LA said 'Hi' ... he's buying the beer next time.

He's scheduled to put in 2 other systems for AN members.

PM sent, as not sure if allowed to link info, and don't want yet another post of mine deleted.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

36 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

what type and capacity of battery do you have?

be aware that you could need to replace the inverter, part of the battery,

or some panels within 10 years ...

37 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Yeah but that quote was 4x the normal price for a 5kW system.

I paid 100kbht for mine, the batteries being 1/2 the total cost.